ADVERTISEMENT

first round games

colonel 72

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
I dont really like playing DR in first round. We beat them two weeks ago and now have to get the kids up again. It happens. What i really hated was when Gretna took a very mediocre team out to Union a few years ago to play that power house team in the first round. We had to charter a bus because of the long ride. Either that or rent a hotel for the team. We forked out meal money. That was a huge expense for a small 2A team to weather not to mention that very few fans made the trip on a Friday night. Union is darn close to Kentucky. If it was a late round game and it was a Saturday then fine.
I had much rather have a rematch with a local than travel 5 hours on Friday to play a mismatch in the first round! People who work cannot make those games as a rule but people who dont have crap to do usually dont mind it at all.

Saturday games when travel like that makes more sense.
A friend told a friend who told me that under one of the old plans, Gretna would still play DR in first round. Someone else just verified it. How bout that HR6.

I think the home team has the choice of when to play though, correct?
Depends on the region. Home teams can't dictate unless both schools agree to in some regions. Some regions have a guideline in regards to Friday or Saturday games based on the travel. For example-over 3 hours it's Saturday-under 3 it's Friday.

Last edited:
I think the home team has the choice of when to play though, correct?
Graham actually had no say because of the shared stadium with Bluefield. Tazewell is traveling less than 30 minutes to play on Saturday against Graham. I like Saturday games myself regardless of distance. Most kids won’t ever get to play a high school game on a Saturday afternoon. When I was in high school, I think most if not all playoff games were on Saturday.

I think if any playoff game requires more than 3 hours worth of travel, the game should be played on Saturday. I was part of a 1st round game a few years back and the bus ride was between 4-5 hours. We went on school buses, because charter was not in the budget. The kids had to leave school around 10 and mid way we stopped for a late lunch/early dinner and arrived to the field around 4:30-5. It takes a long time for kids to shake off that stiffness and get in the right frame of mind to play. We struggled the 1st half, but played great the 2nd half. Ended up losing. We did have a community member donate some bagged lunches for the kids to eat after the game. Roll out to head home around 10 and it was after 3 AM when we finally arrived back to the school. A few times I thought the bus driver was going to crash because they were nodding off. After unloading of everything and waiting for kids to get picked up, I finally got home around 4:30 AM.

I think if any playoff game requires more than 3 hours worth of travel, the game should be played on Saturday. I was part of a 1st round game a few years back and the bus ride was between 4-5 hours. We went on school buses, because charter was not in the budget. The kids had to leave school around 10 and mid way we stopped for a late lunch/early dinner and arrived to the field around 4:30-5. It takes a long time for kids to shake off that stiffness and get in the right frame of mind to play. We struggled the 1st half, but played great the 2nd half. Ended up losing. We did have a community member donate some bagged lunches for the kids to eat after the game. Roll out to head home around 10 and it was after 3 AM when we finally arrived back to the school. A few times I thought the bus driver was going to crash because they were nodding off. After unloading of everything and waiting for kids to get picked up, I finally got home around 4:30 AM.

Was that before the mandate of Saturday games for the long distance? Now over 3 hrs I think is Saturday unless both teams agree to different date

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT