ADVERTISEMENT

Food for thought Girls

Nov 20, 2018
the puzzle that is 1A Girls Basketball is ever changing. Consistency is the issue, lack of consistency is the reason that making accurate assessments are extremely hard from week to week.
Last evening Wise beat Ridgeview in a highly anticipated M7 match up. WISE winning by 9 which certainly does not sound like a blow out. This is relevant because Honaker Girls beat Ridgeview handily.
PM girls who many believe are the measuring stick struggled with Wise pulling out a nail Biter.

But wait Honaker then loses to a very average Tazwell team. UNION drops games to Abingdon and Gate City but Ridgeview beats Abingdon.

The take away for this old educator is this. The M7 is brutal and hard to win. Any wins against this Division by a single A team suggest your right were you need to be.

PM Girls as well as GALAX Girls seem to be front runners to represent the West, however I think enough information is now on display to suggest that the Honaker Tigers will be a viable threat from deep SWVA.

the puzzle that is 1A Girls Basketball is ever changing. Consistency is the issue, lack of consistency is the reason that making accurate assessments are extremely hard from week to week.
Last evening Wise beat Ridgeview in a highly anticipated M7 match up. WISE winning by 9 which certainly does not sound like a blow out. This is relevant because Honaker Girls beat Ridgeview handily.
PM girls who many believe are the measuring stick struggled with Wise pulling out a nail Biter.

But wait Honaker then loses to a very average Tazwell team. UNION drops games to Abingdon and Gate City but Ridgeview beats Abingdon.

The take away for this old educator is this. The M7 is brutal and hard to win. Any wins against this Division by a single A team suggest your right were you need to be.

PM Girls as well as GALAX Girls seem to be front runners to represent the West, however I think enough information is now on display to suggest that the Honaker Tigers will be a viable threat from deep SWVA.

Why does every article seem to debate West teams or SWVA teams. I'm from SWVA and I know there's good teams down there. I would suggest keeping your eyes on the East. Surry Girls will be good again but more importantly no one ever mentions Riverheads. They are playing discipline basketball right now and play in a very very tough district. Riverheads Staff does a good job of teaching
( boys & girls staff both do well ) I can see Riverheads and other East teams definitely competing easily with the top West teams this year.

Does anyone know the format this year. I know it's changed frequently. Will teams cross in the end or will basketball be East Vs West finals ?

Why does every article seem to debate West teams or SWVA teams. I'm from SWVA and I know there's good teams down there. I would suggest keeping your eyes on the East. Surry Girls will be good again but more importantly no one ever mentions Riverheads. They are playing discipline basketball right now and play in a very very tough district. Riverheads Staff does a good job of teaching
( boys & girls staff both do well ) I can see Riverheads and other East teams definitely competing easily with the top West teams this year.

Does anyone know the format this year. I know it's changed frequently. Will teams cross in the end or will basketball be East Vs West finals ?

SWVA is all I really know about. I've watched several games over the past two seasons but hardly any East teams. I apologize if you take offense to the post or see it as down playing the East division. Id very much like to see Surry this year or Riverheads. I'll admit I haven't heard a soul bring up the riverheads girls until now. I'm in no way doubting what you say about them I just have limited knowledge of the group.

I must also say I can't imagine those teams competing with SWVA basketball. I know it's unfair to continue to bring up M7 teams because they are a bigger division but several West teams are competing with that conference and even beating them. GALAX, PM, Honaker all are competing and winning against some of the better M7 powerhouse teams. How do you feel Riverheads stacks up with teams such as GALAX or PM?
If they are relatable I may need to come see the group play. I did watch multiple finals games at VCU last year. One of which was PM VS Surry. I agree Surry is very good.

Sorry to poke a hot iron in the East that wasn't my intention.

SWVA is all I really know about. I've watched several games over the past two seasons but hardly any East teams. I apologize if you take offense to the post or see it as down playing the East division. Id very much like to see Surry this year or Riverheads. I'll admit I haven't heard a soul bring up the riverheads girls until now. I'm in no way doubting what you say about them I just have limited knowledge of the group.

I must also say I can't imagine those teams competing with SWVA basketball. I know it's unfair to continue to bring up M7 teams because they are a bigger division but several West teams are competing with that conference and even beating them. GALAX, PM, Honaker all are competing and winning against some of the better M7 powerhouse teams. How do you feel Riverheads stacks up with teams such as GALAX or PM?
If they are relatable I may need to come see the group play. I did watch multiple finals games at VCU last year. One of which was PM VS Surry. I agree Surry is very good.

Sorry to poke a hot iron in the East that wasn't my intention.

I'm not sure where riverheads girls compare to PM or GALAX but I think they could beat them on any given night. One hot shooting game can prevail any night. Your postings just make it seem like it's a forgone conclusion that a Championship will come from the West. I just believe Riverheads and schools like Surry can play with anyone.
You bring up the M7 which I know well but Riverheads plays in a very tough district as well and those games will prepare them to compete with any single A school. You said you hadn't heard of Riverheads? Well no one from the East has heard of Honaker. I'm not sure how they are even being thrown around with the top teams in the first place.

Just to toss my hat into the ring, PM plays in a VERY weak district. And to say they squeaked by WISE almost seems and some perceive that PM is down this year. They play 7 home games this year and have been on the road A LOT, against BETTER schools that are in higher classifications and still winning. I haven’t watched any SWVA teams and haven’t seen Riverheads. But in my opinion, any given night is a reality, that’s just the nature of sports, BUT, following these threads, it seems as if it’s a VERY good possibility, NOT etched in stone, that PM and Surry are the two at the top. The others can beat them, but it’s going to take an exceptional night on their behalf, and Surry and PM having an off night. AGAIN, it can happen, but with both these teams, the pressure they bring is relentless. It never stops. It wears teams down both physically and mentally.

Reactions: mmqp
M7 M7 M7 nobody scared of the M7. PM girls only two losses have came from an undefeated 3A team and an undefeated 5a team. They beat the only M7 teams they have played and didn’t play well in one of those. If Central Wise is the best of the M7 I really don’t want to hear anyone mention the M7 and girls basketball in the same sentence.

M7 M7 M7 nobody scared of the M7. PM girls only two losses have came from an undefeated 3A team and an undefeated 5a team. They beat the only M7 teams they have played and didn’t play well in one of those. If Central Wise is the best of the M7 I really don’t want to hear anyone mention the M7 and girls basketball in the same sentence.

LOLOL.

How many state titles does the M7 in girls basketball in recent history?
2016 (two M7 teams played in state title game)
2014 (two M7 teams played in title game)

Five in a row, and twice the M7 played each other in title game. You're clueless.

Reactions: champrankings
I get that, I’m not clueless at all. I was just getting tired of the M7 getting called a powerhouse when he was eluding to Honaker a 1A team being the best in M7 and they aren’t even the best in 1A. PM is a 1A team who has already beat what’s supposed to M7 best.

I get that, I’m not clueless at all. I was just getting tired of the M7 getting called a powerhouse when he was eluding to Honaker a 1A team being the best in M7 and they aren’t even the best in 1A. PM is a 1A team who has already beat what’s supposed to M7 best.

I'm not necessarily suggesting Honaker is Better than the M7 teams I was more or less stating that Honaker beat a Ridgeview team that many thought may be the team to beat in the M7 this year.
I'm in no way trying to disrespect the PM team. I've stated multiple times over the past 2 years that PM was one of the best teams Id ever seen play at the 1A level. Furthermore last year I stated that PM would win the M7 and that is the best compliment I can give them.
As Big winners stated the M7 is by far a powerhouse in girls basketball and they've won 5 straight state titles. Wise winning 4 of them of course. For me to say that PM could win that conference last year is a big compliment.
Each year is different and since I started this I guess I will clarify my thoughts.
Many think or thought that Ridgeview may be the team to beat in the M7, Honaker beat them handily. Wise was thought to be a little down compared to Ridgeview and PM who many thought would win the Single A Easily barley beat them. I have friends that suggested that PM looked a little over matched in the first half.
This all lead me to believe that maybe the door was open in Single A and maybe Honaker was better than we anticipated. As it stands Wise has now beaten Ridgeview and PM seems to have beaten the best the M7 has to offer this year. Does this mean that I believe Honaker is out? Not at all I still believe Honaker is playing much better than originally thought. I still believe SWVA has something to offer this year.

I'm not sure where riverheads girls compare to PM or GALAX but I think they could beat them on any given night. One hot shooting game can prevail any night. Your postings just make it seem like it's a forgone conclusion that a Championship will come from the West. I just believe Riverheads and schools like Surry can play with anyone.
You bring up the M7 which I know well but Riverheads plays in a very tough district as well and those games will prepare them to compete with any single A school. You said you hadn't heard of Riverheads? Well no one from the East has heard of Honaker. I'm not sure how they are even being thrown around with the top teams in the first place.

Honaker is being thrown out by me. Honaker is very capable and I believe you will know them well by the end of the year. Good luck to Riverheads if your right about them I'm sure I will see them in the end.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT