ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ejected Player

bowlingref

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 29, 2010
Rustburg Va.
If a football player is ejected for two unsportsmanlike penalties. Does the player have to leave the field? If so who is responsible for making the player leave. The officials or the administration?

If a football player is ejected for two unsportsmanlike penalties. Does the player have to leave the field? If so who is responsible for making the player leave. The officials or the administration?

An ejected player is at the discretion of the officials whether or not they must vacate the field and surrounding areas. Most often, ejected players do not pose an issue after the fact and are permitted to stay on the sideline, but not participate further. If a player poses a problem after their ejection, the officials can (and should) demand that the coaches or administration remove the player immediately. This rarely happens though.

If a senior, playing his last game gets ejected, is that simply the end of it. No further punishment to the team that carries over until next season?

These are VHSL rules, not NFHS rules, so I'm not really sure, but I believe the suspension can be passed to the next sport if a football player also plays basketball or some other sport in the year, rather than waiting for next year.

It is true that getting tossed from the last varsity game a player is in will mean there is no suspension penalty. It's strictly an individual thing, not a team punishment.

(I've only seen one senior tossed out of his last football game, but he got his money's worth. I think he decided he was going out loud and proud and that's what he did. Kind of stupid, really)

Players are disqualified, not ejected. They should never be made to leave the field or gym. Imagine the liability issues that would arise if something were to happen to a child who was forced to leave the game venue.

In the unlikely event that the player became violent or destructive, it would be up to school administration to handle him/her. I say unlikely because I've never seen it in over 25 years of officiating.

Everything you said is correct other than defining a difference in "disqualified" and "ejected." It's a difference in syntax. The VHSL uses the term "ejected," and "ejection."

Each year we're treated with a pie chart showing the number of ejections of coaches and players, broken down by sport. (Which begs the question, what is going on in soccer?)

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT