ADVERTISEMENT

Football question

longest yard

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2003
Team A and Team B are tied. On the last play of regulation, Team A's qb runs out of bounds at the +35. After the whistle, he gets hit by a member of Team B. A flag is thrown for a personal foul late hit. How is the penalty assessed?

It is assessed on the first play of overtime. At the coin toss the captains are made aware of the situation. Depending on which team wins the toss and its choice, OT will start 1st and 5 or 1st and 25.

Re: Yep

If the game isn't tied, the game is over as soon as the ball becomes dead. Whatever happens after that is of no consequence.

It can't.

But the half ended when the runner went OOB. Anything after that is part of the second half.

FYI, this isn't necessarily true. The half can't end on an ACCEPTED penalty, regardless of team. If the offense fouls and the defense accepts it, we play another play.

Just for my clarification, a half cannot end on ANY accepted penalty that occured before the end of the play? So it does not matter whether it was a defensive penalty or an offensive penalty?
I guess if thats true all coaches would and should decline a penalty that the offense commits so that there will not be an untimed down. I do understand that at the end of the game (i.e. clock ran out and last play had been blown dead) there would be no way to access a dead ball penalty. Anything occuring during this time lies under the jurisdiction of the administration and coaches of the schools involved.

Originally posted by Hawks8614:
Just for my clarification, a half cannot end on ANY accepted penalty that occured before the end of the play? So it does not matter whether it was a defensive penalty or an offensive penalty?
I guess if thats true all coaches would and should decline a penalty that the offense commits so that there will not be an untimed down.

In almost all cases the penalty for a foul by the offense would be declined so the half would be over. But if the offense scored on that play the defense would accept the penalty, then we would have an untimed down to replay the down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT