ADVERTISEMENT

For those who visited Salem for the first time

Not my first visit, but I will agree, it is a top notch facility.

We did a little tailgating, sandwiched in-between the Spartan faithful. We had a great time carrying on and joking around.

We were fortunate over on our side to have a perfect few of a beautiful sunset.

And man, how about that 50/50 split? $1600+. WOW!

It's normally around $1000-1200 but with big it gets up there. Has been $3200 in the past. I won a lllooonnnggg time ago when I was 18. I played splits with my mom and we won $1600. Getting $800 as an 18 yr old I thought I was ballin!

Not my first visit, but I will agree, it is a top notch facility.

We did a little tailgating, sandwiched in-between the Spartan faithful. We had a great time carrying on and joking around.

We were fortunate over on our side to have a perfect few of a beautiful sunset.

And man, how about that 50/50 split? $1600+. WOW!

My buddy Parker invited a guy he knew that was passing through from Canada. Of course, he though the 50/50 was really a neat thing, since he wasn't familiar with it. Well, you know the rest of the story..., he won. Took our money back to Canada with him.

Well this may surprise some, but this was my first game at Salem Stadium. The last time I saw Salem play it was at the old baseball stadium.

Personally, I think it is a perfect venue for a big high school game. I found everything to be well organized and efficient. Yes, it reminds you of a college atmosphere and the way you look down on the field is spot on. There is plenty of leg room between rows which is important as I can get a bit emotional.

I did not try the food as I don't eat much before or during a game. In fact, I never do. The PA system is perfect and I found the announcer to have very clear voice.

I have seen the views for half my life, so it only made me extremely homesick. The band reminds me of the way things were in the late 70's and early 80's. A great time for football in the Roanoke Valley.

The only complaint I have has nothing to do with Salem or Salem High School. In our area big games get big time officials. I am not griping just saying neither team deserved the headache or stress caused by this group.

In closing let me say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my mentors family and several of my long time friends. I really enjoyed talking with Charley Hammersley the man who had the vision of Salem Stadium. He was a high school legend when I was a kid and someone I admired when I was a 16 year old playing mens fastpitch at Oakeys Field. The cool thing about it is his grandson is my second favorite Salem player. Luke Owen is a player and I really enjoy watching him work. By the way, my favorite Spartan and underated Spartan Nate Craft. He is the grandson of the my deceased mentor Glenn Byrd and I pray he gets a shot to play at the next level.

As you can tell I had a blast. I did put a small dent in the pressbox door. Lol. The drive back was much better than Decembers. A big thank you to the Salem and Dinwiddie teams, fans and administrators for making this happen.

I would like to say that I would want to play you guys again in December, but the truth is a cocky dude in Stephens City wants a little revenge and I would like to see him get a shot. Of course we have a lot of work to do and there are three teams in region b who are capable of stopping us. Not to mention three or four in region a.

Mike Salem, I understand your pain. It took me a week to gather my thoughts and appreciate how lucky I was to have witnessed such a great game last December. Best of luck to the Spartan faithful. You have a ton to be proud of.

"The only complaint I have has nothing to do with Salem or Salem High School. In our area big games get big time officials. I am not griping just saying neither team deserved the headache or stress caused by this group."

I too have spectated at (non football) rivalry or BIG games that were refed by weak or inexperienced crews that had no business being at that particular game! Their inexperience or loss of control of contest often leads to hard feelings amongst opppsing sides!
Been there and done that and had a sit down with my AD because I got too fired up....

Not to replay anything or excuse anything because Dinwiddie won but the situation reminds me of the Belk Bowl situation where Arkansas clearly benefitted from inadvertant whistle in a kicking situation and Arkansas retained possession even though VT recovered. Everyody except Arkansas coach agreed that rule was unfair . To be honest I'm not sure if this is the same situation but reminded me of it.. I don't think they put any extra time on the clock even though there was a play over.

Well this may surprise some, but this was my first game at Salem Stadium. The last time I saw Salem play it was at the old baseball stadium.

Personally, I think it is a perfect venue for a big high school game. I found everything to be well organized and efficient. Yes, it reminds you of a college atmosphere and the way you look down on the field is spot on. There is plenty of leg room between rows which is important as I can get a bit emotional.

I did not try the food as I don't eat much before or during a game. In fact, I never do. The PA system is perfect and I found the announcer to have very clear voice.

I have seen the views for half my life, so it only made me extremely homesick. The band reminds me of the way things were in the late 70's and early 80's. A great time for football in the Roanoke Valley.

The only complaint I have has nothing to do with Salem or Salem High School. In our area big games get big time officials. I am not griping just saying neither team deserved the headache or stress caused by this group.

In closing let me say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my mentors family and several of my long time friends. I really enjoyed talking with Charley Hammersley the man who had the vision of Salem Stadium. He was a high school legend when I was a kid and someone I admired when I was a 16 year old playing mens fastpitch at Oakeys Field. The cool thing about it is his grandson is my second favorite Salem player. Luke Owen is a player and I really enjoy watching him work. By the way, my favorite Spartan and underated Spartan Nate Craft. He is the grandson of the my deceased mentor Glenn Byrd and I pray he gets a shot to play at the next level.

As you can tell I had a blast. I did put a small dent in the pressbox door. Lol. The drive back was much better than Decembers. A big thank you to the Salem and Dinwiddie teams, fans and administrators for making this happen.

I would like to say that I would want to play you guys again in December, but the truth is a cocky dude in Stephens City wants a little revenge and I would like to see him get a shot. Of course we have a lot of work to do and there are three teams in region b who are capable of stopping us. Not to mention three or four in region a.

Mike Salem, I understand your pain. It took me a week to gather my thoughts and appreciate how lucky I was to have witnessed such a great game last December. Best of luck to the Spartan faithful. You have a ton to be proud of.
Wow that's messed up BN lol , I don't think we will be there brother , you guys are safe this year.

Well the IW really screwed both teams in a way. One way It woulda been dinwiddies ball and game over. On the other hand it took away a very good return from salem ( which didnt matter because the 2nd return was just as good) but i feel like no matter which way it went everybody was gonna be mad about it.

"The only complaint I have has nothing to do with Salem or Salem High School. In our area big games get big time officials. I am not griping just saying neither team deserved the headache or stress caused by this group."

I too have spectated at (non football) rivalry or BIG games that were refed by weak or inexperienced crews that had no business being at that particular game! Their inexperience or loss of control of contest often leads to hard feelings amongst opppsing sides!
Been there and done that and had a sit down with my AD because I got too fired up....

After reading what Lunchpail had to say on another thread, I'm not ready to vilify the refs, and in particular the White Hat. Like BN said, he/they must be accountable for the mistake(s), but I'm not convinced that they were a weak crew. Just made a mistake.

I've personally never talked to an official for any sport, at any level, that told me about actions they took or would take to affect the outcome of a game. (I've seen a couple, but never talked to any like this).

We all know that it's a thankless job for next to no pay. So, let's all move on and worry about THIS Friday night.

Exactly DP. My point exactly. If you are a high school football or college football fan, we have all seen questionable calls but that's why they have video review.

I have not spoken to a Salem fan yet that does not think or wish that Dinwiddie would not have retained possession because we knew what would come win or lose. The reality of the ball game was , in my view , and those that know football, is that Dinwiddie won the game because they handled the ball better. Last year in the state championship Salem won because they refused to give it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT