ADVERTISEMENT

Former Riverheads Coach Demacio Returns for Memorial Service

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
On Sunday January 29th, a memorial service was held in the RHS gym to honor Mr. Cecil Layman, the very first principal we ever had, who served from the time the school opened in 1962 until his retirement in 1988. He passed away earlier this week at the age of 94 and many former students and teachers turned out for the event.

Of particular interest to football fans, even including some of those from other schools, was the appearance from former football coach Tony Demacio. He was one of the first speakers today and had some fond memories of being hired for the job as well as his working relationship with Mr. Layman.

Although the much more recent Coach Casto was the longest-tenured and by far most successful coach at Riverheads, Coach Demacio was the one to first develop a winning program and take us into regional playoff action. I believe his years of service were from 1972 to 1983. Prior to his arrival, we had never even sniffed at any playoff appearances, but by his third or fourth season, he had developed some "pride" in the program and led us to back-to-back regional games in 1975 and 1976.

The highlight of the 1975 season was the infamous Fog Bowl with Wilson, a 7-7 tie that was still good enough to earn us our first-ever regular-season title. In 1976, we improved upon that with our first-ever 10-0 regular season. We lost in the first round of the regionals each of those years but it was enough to put the winning taste in the minds of the community and it was not too many more years before Coach Casto came along and made playoff football an annual thing for the Big Red.

I realize that many of the readers on here are too young to remember those times or would have no particular interest in this, but I thought quite a few folks would remember him, perhaps some Parry McCluer fans in particular, since we had some epic battles with them during that time period.

When Coach Demacio left Riverheads, he eventually became a pro baseball scout, a career he enjoyed for over 25 years. I did not get the chance to ask him today what he is currently doing, so it is entirely possible that he is still involved in sports to some degree.

On Sunday January 29th, a memorial service was held in the RHS gym to honor Mr. Cecil Layman, the very first principal we ever had, who served from the time the school opened in 1962 until his retirement in 1988. He passed away earlier this week at the age of 94 and many former students and teachers turned out for the event.

Of particular interest to football fans, even including some of those from other schools, was the appearance from former football coach Tony Demacio. He was one of the first speakers today and had some fond memories of being hired for the job as well as his working relationship with Mr. Layman.

Although the much more recent Coach Casto was the longest-tenured and by far most successful coach at Riverheads, Coach Demacio was the one to first develop a winning program and take us into regional playoff action. I believe his years of service were from 1972 to 1983. Prior to his arrival, we had never even sniffed at any playoff appearances, but by his third or fourth season, he had developed some "pride" in the program and led us to back-to-back regional games in 1975 and 1976.

The highlight of the 1975 season was the infamous Fog Bowl with Wilson, a 7-7 tie that was still good enough to earn us our first-ever regular-season title. In 1976, we improved upon that with our first-ever 10-0 regular season. We lost in the first round of the regionals each of those years but it was enough to put the winning taste in the minds of the community and it was not too many more years before Coach Casto came along and made playoff football an annual thing for the Big Red.

I realize that many of the readers on here are too young to remember those times or would have no particular interest in this, but I thought quite a few folks would remember him, perhaps some Parry McCluer fans in particular, since we had some epic battles with them during that time period.

When Coach Demacio left Riverheads, he eventually became a pro baseball scout, a career he enjoyed for over 25 years. I did not get the chance to ask him today what he is currently doing, so it is entirely possible that he is still involved in sports to some degree.
I remember quite a few years ago a gentleman popped in on the boards and told a story regarding the two PM-Riverheads games played in 1976. It was both humorous and interesting. Not sure if he still lurks the boards here but I think he played center for the Gladiators that season.

Sounds like there should be a football field at Riverheads named Layman Field.
Actually the auditorium is named after him. But you have a point because he was quite the football fan as well. I know that our track is named after the legendary coaches in that field, Ron Wilkerson and Larry Hull. If the football field has an honorary name already, I am not aware of it. If one is forthcoming, my guess would be that it would be named after the late Dr. Moore.

I remember quite a few years ago a gentleman popped in on the boards and told a story regarding the two PM-Riverheads games played in 1976. It was both humorous and interesting. Not sure if he still lurks the boards here but I think he played center for the Gladiators that season.
Not sure who that would be (not me for sure!) but those were definitely two memorable games. Actually four come to mind because we had classic regular season games in 1974-1976 and then met again in the regionals in 1976. All four of those were close games.

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
You mentioned the Fog Bowl, there were a couple of other real burners between Wilson and Riverheads in the next couple of years. I was just a kid, but I had some older neighbors who played at Wilson at that time. I didn't realize that Mr. Layman was principal at the "original" Spottswood high school before Riverheads opened.

Yes, he was the principal of the "Wood" with two T's. But I am not sure how long he held that post. Couldn't have been very long because he was only about 34 when he came to Riverheads and they would not likely have given the Spotswood job to someone who was only 25 or so. So my guess is that he was a teacher there for a while first, which I think his obit mentioned, and then became the Spottswood principal when he was closer to 30. And the rest as they say is history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT