ADVERTISEMENT

Four teams left

Salem v Sherando, Louisa v. Lafayette. Which two make the finals?

Some very good matchups for the final four. All four teams are smash mouth old school style.

Salem (11-2) Vs Sherando (11-2)
Rematch of state semi 4 years ago that Sherando won 7-0. Both teams run nearly identical pro style offenses. Lot of 21 and 12 personnel. Sherando appears to be a bit more multiple as far as formations. Both teams want to run downhill though and have some very technically sound OLs. Defensively, If I'm not mistaking, they both employ a base 4-3 defense but will adjust based on offensive personnel. I have not had the pleasure of seeing Sherando all season so I have no idea how this one will turn out. I've bet against Salem too often the past couple years, won't do it again.

Louisa (13-0) Vs Lafayette (12-1)
Pair of schools that have never met. Louisa's multiple ground and pound sets vs Lafayette Double Wing. I say Lafayette's full game vs Norcom but it was soo long ago that I can't judge them here either. I know they'll be physical up front and play sound defense. I think that is the theme with these 4 teams. They all play very good defense and like to control clock and wear opponents down. Key for Lafayette is survive the 1st quarter. Crazy thing seem to happen to visitors of the Jungle, if you can survive the first quarter without being down by more than two possessions, you have a chance. If Louisa gets up early, you can cancel it.

I want to lean toward to two teams that blasted us, Salem and Louisa but don't want to sell Sherando or Lafayette short as they are both very well known programs who find themselves playing in December more often than not.

Good Luck to all 4 teams. I'll be in Mineral if anyone else is, let me know and we can link up.

Last edited:
Sherando vs. Louisa

Make no mistake, Sherando will be a big underdog against the two-time defending state champions on Saturday. The Spartans will absolutely be the favorites. I'm mostly picking the Warriors here because I'm trying to convince myself that it's possible.

Although they'll be the underdog, I think some people are underestimating how good the Warriors can be. I've seen a few posts around complimenting Eastern View and Louisa on their performances against Dinwiddie, and for good reason. Playing the Generals close is no easy feat, and beating them isn't something that has happened very often as of late.

I'm well aware that a lot changes from year to year and don't consider what I'm about to say to be solid proof that the Warriors are better than advertised, because teams improve in different ways over the off-season, but I think it's worth mentioning nevertheless since most of Sherando's skill position players were sophomores last year.

A 5-5 Warriors team played both Louisa and Eastern View last year and lost both of those games by a combined 8 points. In 2015 (again, not super relevant since a lot changes in two years, but I think it's worth mentioning), Sherando won both match-ups against the same teams by 28 and 21 respectively. I'm sure Louisa and Eastern View improved significantly over last year, but I think the exact same thing can be said for the Warriors. Had the QB not gone down in their first game against Liberty, I think they could be sitting at 12-1 right now, with the lone loss coming by three points to West Virginia powerhouse Martinsburg, a team whose closest contest outside of the Sherando game came in the West Virginia state semifinals today, which they won by 21. The Bulldogs have also won 5 state titles since 2010.

A lot changes from year to year and there are many reasons why Salem has such a storied history of success, and I guarantee that they'll be the favorites this Saturday, but don't overlook the Warriors! :)

Sherando vs. Lafayette

Just because I love the underdog story and because I don’t think anyone else would’ve picked it. Lol.

Never underestimate Sherando, especially with the number of weapons on offense. They are continuing to move the chains without one of their best, Doleman.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT