ADVERTISEMENT

Free Throw Shooter

bowlingref

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 29, 2010
Rustburg Va.
This board has been dead for a while.
This play happened Monday night. Team only has five players. One of the five has four fouls. The player with four fouls is fouled while in the bonus. After being fouled she throws an elbow and is called for a technical. Since they only have five players and are now down to four and the the disqualified player cannot shoot the free throws. Who chooses who gets to shoot the free throws?

The disqualified player "can" pick another eligible (one of the four left) player to shoot her free throws for her.

The opposing coaches said they were allowed to pick the free throw shooter. Did not even think about going there.

Gym, you emphasize "can"? Does the rule read exactly like that? If that player does not pick a player, then what?

I was trying to "sort of" answer the question just for discussion sake. Wasn't sure if Bowlingref was asking for the answer himself, or just trying to start a rules discussion since the board had been dead
smile.r191677.gif
My statement "could" factually be true, but not fully explanatory, as the rule states in this case that the disqualified player's coach and/or team captain can choose who will shoot free throws. Remember, this is only when there are NO other eligible subs to enter the game for the disqualified player. That is why I said "can" in my response. Hopefully though, one's team captain is not getting a T here.

Just put something out here on the site to stir things up. Got a couple of nosy guys I ref. with asking if I am bowlingref. I was hoping HR 6 would reply with a memory from 1970 about a game he had in China with the same situation.

This post was edited on 2/12 3:31 PM by bowlingref

I would ask the head coach which of the four remaining players he would like to shoot the FTs. It's rare to ever ask a captain such a question when the coach is just a few feet away.

Originally posted by gymrat10:

Yes, but by rule, the team captain may select such player. (8-2)
True. By rule, I can also call a multiple foul.
smile.r191677.gif

Quite honestly, I don't even ask who the speaking captain is anymore. I'll respond to any player as long as they speak to me respectfully. For any important issues, I'm going to ask the coach.

Exactly. The same thing would probably happen if I asked a captain a question that would be better asnwered by the head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT