ADVERTISEMENT

From the 1A boards

Jul 30, 2021
I'm pretty much going to copy/paste this from the 1A boards.

I know some of you guys would love to play Riverheads. And as you may, or may not, know they have tentatively been moved to 2A. However, they are fighting it..

bhaun@vhsl.org

I'm going to leave this email address right here. This is Billy Haun, VHSL Executive Director. I have emailed him before and he is a very nice gentleman.

Perhaps it is time for those of us who question Riverheads motives for staying in D1 to speak up. Send Mr. Haun an email giving reasons why you feel Riverheads should move up.

Title it something like "Riverheads appeal needs to be rejected" or something like that.

In the body don't just put "Riverheads is a bunch of cheaters" or "Riverheads is gaming the system", no matter how tempting that may be for some. I'd say go with the following: point out how many sub 400 enrollment (9-12) schools are struggling to field programs these days, name the ones who have dropped football altogether. Point out the fact that a school that has nearly that many students in grades 9-11 is trying hard to continue playing at that level. What motives? And be sure to ask Mr. Haun if he and the rest of the VHSL are comfortable with the idea of losing many, many more small schools to 8 man football or no football at all in the very near future.

For now, can someone name off all the schools with sub 400 enrollment who are either a) not fielding a team this season or b) struggling to get numbers above 20?

I will be working on my email to him over the next few days as work permits, and will share it with everyone if you wish to see a template.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
You were quite busy in the early hours of the morning, lol. Now whether the team plays 1A or 2A the talent pool is drying up in the next couple of years so the relevance of RH will likely fade as do most teams. Those that have prayed and made voodoo dolls wanting the demise of the evil empire will get their wish.

When will the powers that be meet to finalize this proposal? I know I had seen it on here but can’t find it now.

I guess they were moved up due to number of students??

What is the basis for their appeal to remain in class 1?

I thought I had read somewhere that any protests or arguments about anyone's appeal had to be filed by the 15th, which has now passed. So I was looking anytime now for the final word on all appeals, not just this one. But maybe it takes more time than this. My point being.........is it too late for letters such as mmqp is suggesting?

As for RedPrideNation's comment about the talent pool drying up in the next couple of years, I am not sure he is right about that, and of course I hope not, but it is hard to argue that this year's offense will be built around two experienced and talented seniors and one exceptionally gifted junior. So after that, it could very well come down to a question of depth and how well the coaches can keep the tradition going.

@Bo Bob, I am only speculating but there is an exceptionally large freshman class that is in the calculation so that would be my guess for the reasoning behind the appeal. The cutoff is at 350 for grades 9-11 and RHS is at 357. The group behind this will fall back to the average of 105 so the number will drop to around 335 mid cycle. No inside knowledge on the administrations view of this but logically why bounce back and forth.

@longtimerhsfan, having a athlete in the youth program that coming through in a few more years, we do have a solid group of athletes. I don’t personally see another Zach S or CCC but there will be a number that have some potential for sure. But kids that aren’t playing now will decide to and some that are will specialize in another sport more to their liking. Only time will tell but like you I hope it never ends

Reactions: Bo Bob
I am only speculating but there is an exceptionally large freshman class that is in the calculation so that would be my guess for the reasoning behind the appeal. The cutoff is at 350 for grades 9-11 and RHS is at 357. The group behind this will fall back to the average of 105 so the number will drop to around 335 mid cycle. No inside knowledge on the administrations view of this but logically why bounce back and forth.
That make sense to a degree.

I do see the argument of making them play up while those numbers are up though.
It would be a hard pill for the runner up team to have to swallow if they loose to a team that has class 2 numbers even if that only lasts for 4 years.

Completely understand that too. I will state again that I don’t care which classification they are put in. The bouncing back and forth would be a little frustrating but different matchups in the post season would be interesting to me at least. Regardless of those that detract from the 4 year period in 2A back in the early 2010’s, there aren’t but a few teams that had as much success over that period. Certainly no titles but again I can’t think of but two teams that had a better record and that includes the playoffs for those that may state we played a watered down schedule.

As you are a fan of Appo, I know you have enjoyed your state titles but you also support and have enjoyed the teams that didn’t quite reach that point. Success isn’t always a trophy raised. The shining example I have is of a backup QB having to play in a state semi against a phenomenal Giles team in 2013, and losing 28-7. Coldest game I ever remember being at and I was as proud of that effort as I was of the win over Galax last year.

In the end as much as there are those that think the VHSL is crooked, I believe they try to do their best and it helps and hurts different schools each year/cycle. I do think that at times revenue generation is more of a factor than it should be. Literally there is no system that could be conceived that would not have 10-15% of the membership mad. I for one will not be mad either way this goes because the game and scholastic sports is about growing young men and woman. The wins and losses matter for a while but the relationships and learning to deal with the wins and losses is what lasts a lifetime.

No dog in the fight, but the VHSL does recount cycles for a reason. They do that to account for numbers that they know will change either going up or down. In think if your numbers are within Class 1 through 6 for that count cycle, then you should be in that Class where the numbers fall, no matter how close. Exceptions I think would be travel, scheduling, competitiveness in all sports, not just football, history of being able to compete or not compete the last 4 years, location such as other Class 1 or 2 schools in your area where you don't have to travel far. Riverheads just doesn't meet those exceptions. We do the recycle/recount every so often and reclassify based on what your numbers are, and not what they might do or might not do, we shouldn't grant appeals based on what your numbers might do or might not do, otherwise, what is the purpose of the recount/reclassing?

Augusta County is projected to grow by 5,000 more people over the next 8 years according to Va Population Projections. It's not a county like in SWVA that is losing populaton or even remaining the same, it's growing. The 6th, 7th, or 8th grade glasses at Riverheads will likely add students to their ranks by the time they get in High School because of the projected growth of people moving to the area. Not only that, there's some movement within Augusta County itself as the people of the independent city of Staunton in small amounts are moving to the rural areas and a big chunk of those 5000 projected people to move to Augusta County over the next 10 years will likely move to suburb/rural areas for houses compared to in the middle of Staunton. So, the people moving to the County, Greenville area will get a large chunk of that, and no offense to Staunton/Lee High, but parents who move to the area look at schools, and they know the Riverheads School System is better, safer, less behavioral problems than Staunton, less crime in Greenville and out in the county compared to Staunton.

Last edited:
@Fairlawncat, all valid points. I was only making an assumption on the reasoning. And you are right about the county growing but by and large it’s in the Wilson school district due to the proximity to Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta Health (no matter how crappy that is). Again I was speculating and it won’t matter what I think anyway, lol.

@Fairlawncat, all valid points. I was only making an assumption on the reasoning. And you are right about the county growing but by and large it’s in the Wilson school district due to the proximity to Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta Health (no matter how crappy that is). Again I was speculating and it won’t matter what I think anyway, lol.
I hear ya man. Best wishes to RH no matter what level. Great program, fans, and tradition going to continue to be tough to beat for a long time and that dont matter what Class.

As you are a fan of Appo, I know you have enjoyed your state titles but you also support and have enjoyed the teams that didn’t quite reach that point. Success isn’t always a trophy raised. The shining example I have is of a backup QB having to play in a state semi against a phenomenal Giles team in 2013, and losing 28-7. Coldest game I ever remember being at and I was as proud of that effort as I was of the win over Galax last year.

In the end as much as there are those that think the VHSL is crooked, I believe they try to do their best and it helps and hurts different schools each year/cycle. I do think that at times revenue generation is more of a factor than it should be. Literally there is no system that could be conceived that would not have 10-15% of the membership mad. I for one will not be mad either way this goes because the game and scholastic sports is about growing young men and woman. The wins and losses matter for a while but the relationships and learning to deal with the wins and losses is what lasts a lifetimeI
I agree the Big Win isn't what it's all about but it sure makes a memory for those kids.

Riverheads will be an extremely hard team to beat in class 2.

That’s a stretch brother. There are 5-6 teams in 2A that are a handful so saying 3A is legit craziness with all due respect.
I'd be willing to bet that while they might not win class 3 they would make playoffs and through a round or two probably.
I know back in 2016 I would have put that Appomattox team up against any class and they could have competed for the most part. Winning the title at that level would have been a stretch but I doubt many would have walked the dog on that 2016 team.

That’s a stretch brother. There are 5-6 teams in 2A that are a handful so saying 3A is legit craziness with all due respect.
I am not saying they are state champion in 3A. Just regionally they have no problem with 3A schools. Spottswood a few years ago is the only 3A team I would pick to possibly beat them from Winchester to just north of Roanoke.

Riverheads' appeal will be heard at 9:30 am Tuesday with ruling coming later in the evening.
df674fd1fff16d4b0031b78c0cd1d754eb825d4c7dd69ef460e8c858e4a0254a_1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT