ADVERTISEMENT

From the scorer's table!

DMSpartan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 22, 2002
1)What is it with every coach "under the sun" thinking he can get a sub on the floor by yelling "Sub! Sub! Sub!" when the player is still in front of the bench? That's an AAU habit I wish the officials would "nip in the bud".

2)I'm beginning to see lots of players coming to the table AFTER the first timeout buzzer and expect to get in the game. What's worse is that a great many officials are letting them on the floor.

3)I also see coaches pull substitutes back to the bench AFTER an official has "acknowledged" them and very few referees telling the players to enter the game anyway. I thought that there was a rules clinic that AD's and coaches had to attend every year or so to keep "up-to-date". Or has that been discontinued?
This post was edited on 2/24 4:00 PM by DMSpartan

I don't tolerate "Sub! Sub! Sub!"

If I know they've reported after the first buzzer, I don't let them enter.

There's no rule that states the coach can't pull the sub back after he's been beckoned but before he enters the floor.

I don't even look that way, I look at the table and if I don't see anyone ball is in play! They can yell Sub all they want, ball is in play.

I've seen refs "freeze" and allow the substitution to stop the play of the game. And, although you may not tolerate it, some officials seem to think it is "par for the course".

I've seen several instances where other officials have been aware of the "first buzzer" rule but allowed the substitution anyway.

Originally posted by DMSpartan:
I've seen refs "freeze" and allow the substitution to stop the play of the game. And, although you may not tolerate it, some officials seem to think it is "par for the course".

I've seen several instances where other officials have been aware of the "first buzzer" rule but allowed the substitution anyway.

OK. I got it the first time you posted it.
3dsmile.gif

that's a rule that needs to be enforced to the max. I have seen some who watch for subs more than play on court. By this I mean their primary concern seems to be getting subs into game. I have seen subs "waved" onto floor without having them report to scorer's table. Some coaches sub just to delay game, i.e. allow time to set up press.

You really seem to enjoy quoting me - would you like for me to give you something really worth quoting?
You seem to be a very knowledgeable official. Do you have any ideas as to how I might get the coaches to stop yelling "Sub! Sub! Sub!" at me and yell it at the referees? Then it might get stopped.

DMspartan,you must be a clock operator. The best thing to do is not blow the horn after the ref. has handed the ball to the inbounder and do what a couple of others have said,just ignore the coach.

Originally posted by DMSpartan:
You really seem to enjoy quoting me - would you like for me to give you something really worth quoting?
You seem to be a very knowledgeable official. Do you have any ideas as to how I might get the coaches to stop yelling "Sub! Sub! Sub!" at me and yell it at the referees? Then it might get stopped.

I really don't think they're yelling at you. They're usually yelling at the officials, so they won't administer a throw-in before the sub can get to the table. As I said, I irnore them. What other officials do is up to them.

I was a clock operator for 12 years - it seems like some things never change! I went though the same thing! I never blew the horn unless a sub was at the table. If a sub showed up during a time out after the first horn, I let the officials know and it was up to them after that. I found that the officials I worked with didn't let the players in if I let them know they reported after the first horn.

I enjoyed my 12 years as a clock operator - I'm sure you do to DMSPARTAN. You've seen some good teams and good games while sitting at the table, I'm sure!

Have a good one!

Seems to me this is not just a cut and dry rule. Obviiously the officials job to maintain order and not allow the coach to take advantage of situations. I have worked the clock where the ref said before the game he didn't want us blowing the horn for subs. If he looked and didn't see any at the table, then he continud the game. Is that the right answer? Probably not. Sometimes, the game dictates that a coach needs to make a decison on the fly and it may not be at the breakneck pace the ref wantst to get the game over with. Certainly this all falls into the catch-all ref favorite... if the coaches or players are "not gaining an advantage or causing a disadvantage"...

the sub rule is one rule I would enforce to the max in a tight game. now if game is a blow out, I might "bend" a little to get game over with quicker.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
the sub rule is one rule I would enforce to the max in a tight game. now if game is a blow out, I might "bend" a little to get game over with quicker.

Actually, just the opposite is true.

I'm not going to deny a coach an opportunity to sub in a critical situstion if I have an opportunity to get the sub in the game in a reasonable amount of time.

In a blowout situation, he better have his sub at the table before we're ready to administer the throw-in. Waiting for the sub is NOT going to get the game over quicker, as you suggested.

I agree with FBRef, there are times in a close game you want the best players on the floor. Being a little bit less stoic on the floor at times goes a long way to being considered a goof ref or just an all around good guy. I called a tech on a lady coach this year and her assistant told me about two weeks later, if you get that guy to Tech you,then you must have deserved it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT