ADVERTISEMENT

Funny observations

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
I went to the 4a South meeting yesterday and went to the hospital with one of my twins which I'm still there and I get up here and it's funny. I have a couple of points/questions I have to ask/make...

1. LT has not seen a team like Salem all year correct? Has Salem seen a team like LT all year? I'm pretty sure Salem has right?

2. You can say the Monacan game was a gift, but if LT would have lost the game it would have been a gift for Monacan also, with 30 seconds to go in the game LT scored a touchdown and while the QB was in the end zone a flag was dropped for illegal formation. When you watch the film and Monacan coach confirmed, it wasn't an illegal formation the ref blew the call. So in my eyes it was karma because that same ref was the one who had to make the td call when we picked up the kick.

3. LT special teams- Poole has been punting most of the year and LT has given up 2 returns all season on punts. 2 and it wasn't because of bad or low punts the kid was all district first team punter, ask Monacan how good of a punter he is. Kicking game.Since LC Bird game the jv long snapper and kicker have been handling kicking duties.. Poole didn't kick again until this Friday and we left the jv snapper in there and he had a bad night, now for a big game like this we going back to the experienced group we went with earlier Quinerly, Johnson, Poole. XP and Kicking will not be a problem sorry to disappoint they have been doing this together for 3 years.

Just a lil information to help out with your debates...Keep on going guys I know you now think LT is "vulnerable" and not any good, but we are 14-0 for a reason the same way Salem is 14-0. Guess we'll see on Saturday at 4:30

Salem has not seen anyone quite like Lake Taylor----maybe closest was GW Danville but that is still not the same.
Lake Taylor has seen someone similar to Salem----L.C.Bird----but again not quite the same.
This is not unusual in a State Championship game with teams coming from different regions.

Both teams are vulnerable---they are high school teams i.e. they are vulnerable

Guess that Monacan game has people beating their chest and feeling like LT was a sham which is cool please believe it. Salem is the favorite now they took it to Liberty. Please look at the numbers from the Monacan game LT ran up and down the field and turned it over 4x in the first half alone which we can't do this Saturday. We have to finish drives and a couple of blown coverages which trust me will be corrected this week led to 2 big plays which led to both Monacan tds. Again both are easily corrected, but again score watching doesn't tell the whole story of the game. Monacan failed to establish the run and they tried even going wildcat, but found not running room and their backs are quick and run hard, and had 2 big pass plays so basically offensively they didn't do that much. I know some of you only look at scores and highlight films and think you know what is going on there is more to football than that.

Thanks for your contributions to the board. If there was ever a week to ignore the bait and let the play on the field do your talking this is it. Would be much more balanced discussion board if others from around the state chose to post here then you wouldn't have to carry the flag by yourself but, that is their choice. Good luck to both teams Saturday. May they both play their best game of the year free of injury and give the fans a great show.

LT isn't a sham, Monacan was just that good. Their defense dominated the line of scrimmage up until their best lineman #51 got hurt on offense right before LTs final drive. To be honest if #51 is in the game my personal belief is that final drive goes differently. Not a single LT lineman could block him all game and that last drive the QB had time in the pocket to throw which he didn't have as much of all game. The D line created pressure in the backfield and their DBs were good enough to cash in twice on picks. It is just personal belief, but anyone who saw the way #51 was playing can't deny that he could've been a game changer that last drive. Also I have heard from multiple people that #51 may have been screaming to get the ball after the blocked FG. It is just a rumor among people around the players, but these people are trustworthy and if it's true, the possibility of him in the game and having the intelligence to dive on the ball is pretty high. As far as injuries go, this might have been the worst possible one for Monacan.

We did have success moving the ball even with 51 in the game. He had a hell of a night and played his tail off, but again we had offensive success with him in there. Our qb was sacked one time the entire night and on the two ints he forced throws that just won't there. Monacan played well, but on that last drive Shiheem refused to lose just look at the 3rd and 9 when he scrambled for 8 when he reversed field after #19 had a clear shot scrambled back to his left broke 3 tackles just to get the 8 yards. That kid was on a mission!

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Salem is a very balanced team, with no glaring weakness.
What is the "glaring weakness" of any team that is undefeated and in the state championship game?

I have seen teams in state championship games who had special teams weakness. have seen teams in state championship games who could not pass the ball.

First of all I hope your twin is doing better. Second of all don't let this board get you too worked up. You know what you got and also know what it takes to win the championship. Third I'm a General for life but for one day and one day only I'm going to be Titians fan so go do your thing even if you win by 1 or 50 pts just bring the trophy back to the south.

Naw not worked up I know what the task at hand is and its not an easy one, but not insurmountable. We will be ready and will come ready to play and may the chips fall where they may. My twin is getting released around 1pm so all is going to be alright!! Thanks for the well wishes and thanks for the 1 day support!!! Lol

Its a high school football game. I wish no ill to
anyone or anything. There is a lot of pot-stirring,
mud-slinging & BS about this game. The Salem
& LT HATERS are out in force. Wolves in sheep
clothing abound. Good luck to you guys. Let's
let the guys play football & stay out of it.

It's really funny to see the mind of a coach go and invent ways to motivate their players. You twist reality so hard till the point where it's not even reality anymore. You must be telling your kids the most hilarious, untrue crap about Salem and what they think about your team.

LT is the favorite. The overwhelming favorite. Stop being such a tryharding crusader so you can swing back and run your mouth on the boards when LT wins as if everyone spent the year doubting LT every week and LT proved everyone wrong.

I've never seen a more insecure person of a #1 team. Wire-to-wire #1 and you're acting like you're some underdog every week.

Though it may not be glaring , every team hasa weakness. Just depends on who you are playing if the weakness shows up or not. If 2013 Dinwiddie was playing 2014 LT, I bet the Dinwiddie team could find a weakness. Lt will find the weakness on the edge against Salem. Salem might find a weakness on the execution up front on the line against LT.

Originally posted by 1MoreHokie:
It's really funny to see the mind of a coach go and invent ways to motivate their players. You twist reality so hard till the point where it's not even reality anymore. You must be telling your kids the most hilarious, untrue crap about Salem and what they think about your team.

LT is the favorite. The overwhelming favorite. Stop being such a tryharding crusader so you can swing back and run your mouth on the boards when LT wins as if everyone spent the year doubting LT every week and LT proved everyone wrong.

I've never seen a more insecure person of a #1 team. Wire-to-wire #1 and you're acting like you're some underdog every week.
Amen, you said that perfectly.

Originally posted by hamspear:
Though it may not be glaring , every team hasa weakness. Just depends on who you are playing if the weakness shows up or not. If 2013 Dinwiddie was playing 2014 LT, I bet the Dinwiddie team could find a weakness. Lt will find the weakness on the edge against Salem. Salem might find a weakness on the execution up front on the line against LT.
"Glaring" is the key word though.

Good post hamspear. Every team has weaknesses, but glaring does not apply to these two teams. Just like last year. I thought Sherando and Dinwiddie were very good teams with very few weaknesses. Turnovers and perimeter tacklng cost Sherando. Dinwiddie was better on that day.

I don't think LT is vunerable at all. Monacan is a good team and capitalized on the one on one coverage on two occasions. That's only 12 points. If Salem can exploit it they will have success. In turn Salem will have to play man to stop the veer. This will give LT the opportunity to use their speed against Salem's corners. My guess is whoever is able to stop the run will win.

No offense but GW Danville is nothing like LT. LT is much more like Liberty offensively and the defense is much better.

This is actually a funny thread. These are both very good teams. Damn good. "weaknesses" and even "glaring weaknesses"? Each are undefeated and in the State Championship game. I prefer to look at it differently in that each Coaching staff is putting together a game plan to help slow or take away the other's team's strengths and look for areas they think are exploitable. Times when certain formations can be countered with something in their arsenal.

Both these squads have weapons, balance and are well Coached. It should be a great game that, right now, I can't pick a winner for. GL to both and congrats on a great season.

Only one weakness

The 2004 Gretna team only had one weakness, the Punter never got in a groove. He punted only 5 times in 14 games, and one of them was on first down and one on 3rd down.

The title of this post confuses me. However, I I'll go ahead and try to answer some of your questions.

1. LT has not seem a team like Salem all year but, Salem has not seen a team like LT all year.

2. I have not seen film of all the initial TD play that was called back so I can not comment on that play. However, the crazy block FG touchdown was incredible! I've never seen a a game at this level end like that. Monacan had the game won and a 1 mental lapse cost them the game. Congrats to LT for being well coached and away of the situation.

3. Once again I have not seen a ton of LT film but I would have to think Salem has a sizable advantage when it comes to the kicking game.

Salem and their fans know that LT is a great team! We know what it takes to get to this point in the season and will not overlook anyone.

Come on Devils! Please drop it... Salem is a HUGE underdog in this game and everyone knows it. Even 95% of Salem fans would pick LT to win if you made them bet their house on it. Stop looking for billboard material and just coach. Looking forward to a great game between two great teams!

Originally posted by BleedingNavy:
In turn Salem will have to play man to stop the veer. This will give LT the opportunity to use their speed against Salem's corners.
Why would you play man to stop the veer?

He can't help himself...its like when you have an addiction....well his is stirring the pot....hahahahahaha!!!!!! I know you're going to say what pot? I'm not biting......I'm to old for that!!!!! It will be a great game Saturday!!!

This post was edited on 12/8 4:17 PM by rowdykid

Lt uses a one or two receiver set with a tight end. You can bring one safety up to defend the strong side and one back to provide support in the center. Corners will be on an island, but I would take my chances. I said in another post, that this option was a gamble for Salem, but they have to defend the first option (fullbac) with linebacker help. By bringing the safety up it will allow help with the qb. Just my thought Phantom. How would you defend them if you were using Salems players.

I'm with you a bit Navy

I'd run a 5-3 against LT's base set with one safety over top. I'd attempt to get penetration with the 5 DL and disrupt the mesh point. This of course would put corners on an island and your one safety is the last line of defense against the pitchman if he gets the edge. The Veer is a tough offense to stop for an entire game. One missed assignment or tackle and the scoreboard can light up. Salem's best hope for containing LT is by getting Johnson uncomfortable and making him think instead of react. If he's thinking before the snap and not reading the play as it happens he could make mistakes. If he gets comfortable and gets confident, it could be a long day for the Salem defense. Mags is great coach and has the best staff in the state IMO. He'll have something strategically that will fit what his team can do. Executing against the opponent is a different story. Salem won't be outcoached, i promise. If they lose it'll be because LT outplayed and out athleted them.

Originally posted by BleedingNavy:
Lt uses a one or two receiver set with a tight end. You can bring one safety up to defend the strong side and one back to provide support in the center. Corners will be on an island, but I would take my chances. I said in another post, that this option was a gamble for Salem, but they have to defend the first option (fullbac) with linebacker help. By bringing the safety up it will allow help with the qb. Just my thought Phantom. How would you defend them if you were using Salems players.
Don't have a clue. I've never seen them play so I don't know anything about them.I don't remember what we did against LT-it's been a few years- but I do know that it didn't involve man coverage.

Salem definitely has weaknesses. Corners aren't too great and the D-Line is small. The linebackers are outstanding, though so they make the D-Line look better.

Great point Rod! You are completely right... At this point there are very few weaknesses to either team. They wouldn't be here if there was.

Yes intermittent success. The fact is moving the ball is undoubtedly harder to do with #51 on defense. I see that drive being affect by his presence if he were there, and that's not an unreasonable opinion by any means with how he was dominating. I'm sure he was devastated and felt the same way. Feel for the kid.

Re: I'm with you a bit Navy

Excellent points. I was going by my observation of Salem's 4-3 defense. I'm not sure if you read my other post, but they beat us, because we had trouble stopping the fullback and stringing out the play. Its just so hard to tackle the fullback and quarterback without help.

Have you watched LT's defense one man? If you can get a seal you can beat them with quick dives. Not sure slow hitters will work, but the do tend to over pursue. We sure didn't have much luck this season. Gotta take shots with post to the middle. If you can get time. Thanks for your refreshing insight.

Did Salem get out coached or out athletes last year in the north final? Just curious on what you think?

Did you play at Phoebus? If you did a few years ago then you were able to play them hat on hat with studs you guys had. Whole different game sir. I'm not saying I am right. Oneman had some great points. I started thinking about how to better defend them after their first play against us this season. It went for a TD.

I think Lake Taylor is very good, but not perfect. Salem isn't perfect either. You may have a great kicker/punter, but it comes down to the snap! ;) Special teams are key in a game when both teams are good.

I don't think LT will turn the ball over again like that. They will probably play better because of the game against Monacan

I'm inventing stuff? Have you been reading these threads? If we win we win I'll celebrate with the team and go out to eat don't need to come up here and say a thing we were the better team that day. If we lose I'll go get something to eat and that's it. I don't need to come up here to validate a win or loss. But I know some of you including Hoos will blow the Rivals server up with posts if we lose. It's cool though guess someone has to be the villain.

I am assuming you are at the hospital for nothing serious, but prayers headed your way, just in case. Never hurts.

The referees made a bad call? No way!

I never worry about how the final score got there. It is what it is. No such thing as a gift. You either make the plays or you don't. You either overcome the penalties (justified or not) or you don't. When I was a coach I had a team rule against blaming the refs (or any other outside factor). Why? Because we don't control that. It's our job to be so good a bad call can't beat us. If we're not that good, then it's up to the officials. In my opinion the field goal thing is the benefit LT gets from having been there before. Monacan hadn't and the excitement at the end was too much for them.

Special teams may decide more than one game this weekend. I saw some and heard some bad things from (about) most of the teams playing. If you want an easier time of it, get it together. The third phase of the game is important.

I don't think either Salem or Lake Taylor needs to worry about anyone respecting them or not. Anyone with any sense knows how good both of these programs are. All you have to do to see how good Salem is would be to look at my spreadsheet on playoffs over the years. The Salem line is chock full of stuff, while almost every other school is mostly empty. Definitely the team with the most tradition who is still advancing deep in the playoffs.

Lake Taylor just won a title in 2012 and has been the prohibitive favorite all year.

If someone from the 757 hasn't ever followed the great football tradition of the Roanoke Valley and Southwest Virginia, that just makes them ignorant and it's their loss, because there's a lot of awesome stories from that part of the state and a lot of powerhouse programs, and a lot of record holders. If someone from Southwest Virginia thinks that the 757 has been overhyped and overrated, then they really haven't ever had the privilege of seeing some of the incredible teams I have. Again, their loss.

I am excited because this is a match up between powerhouses that never would have met in the past, and seriously, in the old system I don't think the 5A champ out of the East would have drawn any better opponent than Salem, but the Spartans were always playing 4A. So while there's a lot people don't like about the new system, this is a great matchup that never could have happened before.

young team that made a lot of mistakes---- also did not play well on grass field away from home

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT