ADVERTISEMENT

Further Comments After Watching NFHS Tape

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Finally had the chance today to watch Saturday's game. Before I get to my analysis of those guys, let me acknowledge two of my own oversights and they both involve Riverheads' Braeson Fulton.

First of all, in my game recap I gave Zac Smiley credit for RHS' 40-50 yard run on the very first play from scrimmage but it turns out it was Fulton. In my defense, many of us this year have had trouble telling the difference between 6 and 8 once they get going out there. Secondly I had said that I did not recall who snagged the first interception for the Gladiators and today's tape showed that it was him.

As mentioned more than once this season, Fulton is an incredible all-around athlete who has been accepted at JMU for his first love, baseball. He played football his eighth grade year but then sat out the next three. He came back with a bang this season for his senior year and was a huge contributor for Coach Casto. It was almost as if he had been playing all along.

OK about today's viewing of the game.....actually it was better than I expected because I had watched the SD/Appo game live on Saturday and that was terrible. They could not follow the action anywhere it went.

However in the RHS game, the cameraman seemed to be a little more focused (pun intended) and other than a few things on the near sideline, we caught the major action. I was especially pleased that we got to fully appreciate Smiley's Houdini act on that great run late in the first quarter.

I cannot however in good conscience congratulate our announcers. For one thing, we were still being called Riverside until late in the game.......not consistently but enough to be annoying. Also they could not keep the rosters straight to save their lives. Riverheads' kicker Peyton Skillman wears number 5 and he was called by the Galax # 5 name every single play until just before the half when they finally got it right.

Also in their opening introduction they said that Galax had a 10-4 record this season. Yikes!!

This delayed viewing also helped me sort out two plays that seemed controversial at the time. One was the Galax punt in the first half that some folks thought touched a Riverheads player first, which would have made it fair game. The tape did not clearly show that play but the announcers seemed to have no trouble concluding that Galax touched it first, which made it a dead ball at that point. So on the tape, the refs seemed to only be focusing on where to place it, not who had touched it first.

The second play that gave me new insight was the Riverheads punt in the third quarter that led to a roughing call. I will admit that seeing that live on Saturday, I thought they had deflected the punt, which would have made the contact legal. But on today's tape, it looked much more like he got it away and that there was indeed roughing, which the announcers jumped on right away. So again it did not seem to be as questionable a call as it may have appeared to be at the time.

I have heard other references to other broadcasts of this game but NFHS used the word "exclusive" a lot. So if there are in fact other airings of this game and someone could provide links to them, that would be great.

Finally had the chance today to watch Saturday's game. Before I get to my analysis of those guys, let me acknowledge two of my own oversights and they both involve Riverheads' Braeson Fulton.

First of all, in my game recap I gave Zac Smiley credit for RHS' 40-50 yard run on the very first play from scrimmage but it turns out it was Fulton. In my defense, many of us this year have had trouble telling the difference between 6 and 8 once they get going out there. Secondly I had said that I did not recall who snagged the first interception for the Gladiators and today's tape showed that it was him.

As mentioned more than once this season, Fulton is an incredible all-around athlete who has been accepted at JMU for his first love, baseball. He played football his eighth grade year but then sat out the next three. He came back with a bang this season for his senior year and was a huge contributor for Coach Casto. It was almost as if he had been playing all along.

OK about today's viewing of the game.....actually it was better than I expected because I had watched the SD/Appo game live on Saturday and that was terrible. They could not follow the action anywhere it went.

However in the RHS game, the cameraman seemed to be a little more focused (pun intended) and other than a few things on the near sideline, we caught the major action. I was especially pleased that we got to fully appreciate Smiley's Houdini act on that great run late in the first quarter.

I cannot however in good conscience congratulate our announcers. For one thing, we were still being called Riverside until late in the game.......not consistently but enough to be annoying. Also they could not keep the rosters straight to save their lives. Riverheads' kicker Peyton Skillman wears number 5 and he was called by the Galax # 5 name every single play until just before the half when they finally got it right.

Also in their opening introduction they said that Galax had a 10-4 record this season. Yikes!!

This delayed viewing also helped me sort out two plays that seemed controversial at the time. One was the Galax punt in the first half that some folks thought touched a Riverheads player first, which would have made it fair game. The tape did not clearly show that play but the announcers seemed to have no trouble concluding that Galax touched it first, which made it a dead ball at that point. So on the tape, the refs seemed to only be focusing on where to place it, not who had touched it first.

The second play that gave me new insight was the Riverheads punt in the third quarter that led to a roughing call. I will admit that seeing that live on Saturday, I thought they had deflected the punt, which would have made the contact legal. But on today's tape, it looked much more like he got it away and that there was indeed roughing, which the announcers jumped on right away. So again it did not seem to be as questionable a call as it may have appeared to be at the time.

I have heard other references to other broadcasts of this game but NFHS used the word "exclusive" a lot. So if there are in fact other airings of this game and someone could provide links to them, that would be great.

So you watched the SD game on NFHS? It was referred to on the 2a board as being terrible and even accused of SD having their own announcers and being unfair that one school would get their own people. Said that nothing positive was said about Appomattox and all they did was make excuses for SD. Is that what you got from it?

Not trying to start an argument just observations. I was not close enough to see the ball hitting a player on the punt so I can not say 100% that the ball hit the RH player first but it did look like it from my vantage point. And you cannot tell at all on the film. But I'll defer to someone who was closer. although on the roughing the punter call - If you watched the trajectory of the ball when it left the punters foot versus where it was picked back up in the air on the camera, you can tell it was altered plus you could hear it hitting the kids hand from where I was sitting. And yes I agree the announcers left alot to be desired lol

Gunz:

I was referring to the camera work mainly as being poor in the SD game. I don't recall any particular slant toward one team or another on the part of the announcers.

I saw a photo from a professional photographer last night who had field access for the game. The photo clearly shows a close-up view of the ball touching both hands of a Galax defender.

No agenda. It was a great game between two great teams and coaching staff's. As Casto said, we all got our $10 worth! But that officiating crew was not state championship caliber!

Gunz:

I was referring to the camera work mainly as being poor in the SD game. I don't recall any particular slant toward one team or another on the part of the announcers.

I knew what you were referring to, but since you said you watched it wanted to see if you had an opinion. From the 2a board it sounded like the worst thing ever. Heck, it sounded as if me and some coaches were doing the broadcast

Sorry I can't help but I just did not focus on that aspect of the broadcast. Which is interesting because last Friday night on TV, when JMU was shutting out Northern Iowa 17-0, I did notice and could not BELIEVE the way the commentators kept praising UNI's defense.

They did it the entire game and at one point, after giving them yet another compliment, here came a graphic on the screen saying that JMU had 302 yards of total offense and UNI had 58, yet according to them, UNI was the one playing the great defense!!!

Sorry to get off track but it just goes to show you that something can hit you right between the eyes one time but not necessarily another.

I knew what you were referring to, but since you said you watched it wanted to see if you had an opinion. From the 2a board it sounded like the worst thing ever. Heck, it sounded as if me and some coaches were doing the broadcast
You guys probably would have done a much better job.

Reactions: naildriver91
You guys probably would have done a much better job.

Haha, NOBODY wants to hear my voice.

I obviously didn't hear it, but I will say that I was in the box and I didn't see anyone I knew doing any audio. And I was just lucky enough to watch from there. I saw the local newspaper guys, but I guess the local radio guys were in the other box? The Salem announcer wasn't in the same one either, or coaches. It seemed like to me that there was ALOT of different groups up there.

But if you listened closely to the game announcer, we shouldn't feel bad at all, since apparently most times we were playing AMHERST COUNTY not Appomattox lol

We were there. Had a great time calling both games.
From that high up it was hard to determine if the ball had touched the hands of the rushers, but the officials were right there and we rolled with what they ruled.

But if you listened closely to the game announcer, we shouldn't feel bad at all, since apparently most times we were playing AMHERST COUNTY not Appomattox lol
LOL!!

Yea we were like,"APPOMATTOX BUDDY!!!" Oh well.

Reactions: mmqp
We were there. Had a great time calling both games.
From that high up it was hard to determine if the ball had touched the hands of the rushers, but the officials were right there and we rolled with what they ruled.

I knew you were there, just weren't on the side I was on, unless I just missed you all

ADVERTISEMENT