ADVERTISEMENT

GALAX AND RIVERHEADS

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
This should be a slobber knocker, two teams that love to line up punch you in the mouth and run the ball down your throat. This game will definitely be decided in the trenches with the big boy's. I think if Galax can control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and make some big plays here and there I think they have got a shot to get the win. What are some thoughts on this game? I would also like to congratulate both teams for making it this far and may the best team win. Safe travels to both teams and to all who are attending this game.

Last edited:
Not enough time to fully evaluate this matchup. As I stated on the Essex thread last week, to hang with Glenvar, Giles, etc some of the better 2A teams, Galax is legit. Like all the other football junkies on here, I will do some digging and post more detail to my thoughts. Should be a good one

Can I repeat my request from last week and ask for a list of Galax's regular season scores? Thanks.

Glenvar. 15-20
Radford. 26-30
Rural Retreat. 45-27
GW. 27-28
Giles. 24-35
Fort Chiswell. 41-6
Graham. 41-33
Narrows. 75-27
Bland. 69-6
Grayson County. 46-7

Glenvar. 15-20
Radford. 26-30
Rural Retreat. 45-27
GW. 27-28
Giles. 24-35
Fort Chiswell. 41-6
Graham. 41-33
Narrows. 75-27
Bland. 69-6
Grayson County. 46-7
Now...loss to glenvar was on a bomb with around a minute left...loss to Radford was late as well....loss to gw was a missed pat late....and as a Giles fan...don't let that score fool ya....was very glad the clock kept moving...galax was in the game till the very end....and shoulda beat Giles the 2 previous years....Dixon has played football at every level and knows the game....know they are the underdogs but in my opinion not by much

Reactions: Mannschild
Galax in the finals just validates that there is such thing as good losses especially to teams in higher divisions that are REALLY solid and good.

Reactions: obguthr
I am curious as to when the last time might have been that anyone in any division won a state title with 3 or 4 or more losses. You usually think of a title game as matching two undefeated teams or one with one loss or something like that.

In Galax's case, I am sure their coach will, and most definitely should, play up that exact fact in his pep talks this week. In other words, their 9 game winning streak is a much more important stat than their overall record.

As for Riverheads, we have never made it to a state final and not won it, so that is the stat that I am hanging MY hat on!

Should be a good one and I sure hope that weather forecast holds up! How awesome would that be compared to some recent years!!!

Galax is the real deal and so is Riverheads they are the best 2 teams in 1A this year no doubt. And like MT said this is a line up and smack each other in the mouth type of game. I really want to try and make the trip to Salem to watch this one 2 very deserving and extremely well coached teams going to battle for the only prize that matters. This game will be a chees match on a football field you have Charles Harris doing what he does best on one side and Landon Diehl doing his thing on the other. Both backs will have amazing lines to run behind with great technique and mobility they are about the same size. Riverheads will try and wear on Galax as they did to GW and Galax will just line up and come at you that's not to say RH wont do the same cause they will lol. This game is just like last week its easy to call who ever wins the trenches and makes the best adjustments will win. Guys if you like trench wars, technical play and a hell of a Coaching battle this game is for you it will be worth the trip to Salem. Best of luck to both teams you guys have earned this enjoy the moment and play for your teammates safe travels to all attending.

I'd be willing to bet Galax only ran 4-5 different plays the entire game against Essex. This will definitely be a battle of the lines. I don't know about RH, but I can tell you that Galax was dragging azz by the end of the game, as was Essex. It was a very physical game by both teams.

BLASTER said and I agree 100%, who ever wins in the trenches will win. The team that makes their blocking assignments, and makes the fewest mistakes will have the advantage.
Let's not forget one very important part of the game.....Special Teams. Punt or kick off returns sets the offense up for their possessions. This could play well for either team. I see something here that will favor Galax. I am not going to say what it is, but Galax......well I am just going to leave it as a Galax advantage.

4th down is going to be huge in this game. If Galax makes stops it might get ugly for Castro unless he punts. Or his team marches down and scores every time. IMO not punting on 4th and long could get interesting.

Galax looks to be a very good team and based on their performance and ours so far in the playoffs it should be close. Casto has and will punt when needed but the vast majority of times that he went for it against GW it was less than 4 yds. The score on 4th and 12 in the 4th quarter was because we were on the opponents side of the field and just gashed the D for 20+ before a penalty called it back. Also our D had only given up the one long play to Beamer and Moss along with a kickoff return. He gains confidence in the D as the game progresses too which encourages that decision. If you are making stops why not try for the first down you see. There is a method to his madness and if Galax is making stops then he will punt. He has done this for years and to him and the staff it's about playing the percentages. If the D for both teams show up then it will be a field position/ special teams battle. He is experienced enough to go to that strategy if need be. I personally think this is the type of game we will see. Neither team gives up much so it very well could be who handles having to improvise their O. Certainly should be entertaining for all of the fans and we could not ask for a better weather forecast.

Red pride. Makes more sense now. Only punting like 6 times all year must have been some interesting calls.

We turned it over on downs several times this year but once we pass the 50, it's unusual to punt. It's just a staple of the philosophy he has in approaching the game. Based on what I have seen I think the game will be low scoring and D will rule the day. I have said it before that I think this is a race to 21. First team there wins

Yes, RedPride, I agree with you. I see this as a low scoring game, defensive battle with both teams trying to figure out the schemes of the other. Casto is a defensive genius, while Dixion is a defensive stalwart of the game at the professional level. I can only image what will be going on in their heads, on both sides of the ball. We may be looking at a OT game..I must say that you guys from Riverheads have shown tremendous sportmanship and knowledge of the game. Good luck, My Friend

Thanks and I feel everyone on here has shown the right attitude towards these playoffs. It's more and more rare to have that kind of mutual respect but very refreshing to see and experience. Safe travels to all those heading out to the game/games this weekend.

The Galax Gazette has a nice article today. I believe the Galax coach is trying to get our boys over confident . I got news for him . This is not Casto's first rodeo . Look for the Red team to be ready ! GO BIG RED !

Reactions: Bama1985
The Galax Gazette has a nice article today. I believe the Galax coach is trying to get our boys over confident . I got news for him . This is not Casto's first rodeo . Look for the Red team to be ready ! GO BIG RED !
I read the article and Coach Dixon simply states what be believes to be the truth and I don't think it has anything to do with head games or trying to get Riverheads over confident. I don't think Coach Dixon or anyone else thinks they are going to shut down Riverheads because they are very well coached, disciplined and they run their version of the wing T to perfection with very few to no mistakes. Riverheads also has one heck of a defense and it will not be easy to score on them. It will be a tall task for Galax to get the win but I still believe they can get the job done and come away with their first ever state championship. Good luck to both teams and may the better team win. Safe travels to the teams, fans and all who are attending the games across our state this Saturday.

Reactions: Bama1985
Galax has to make it 3rd and long it can not be a game of 3rd and 3 or 4 RH will get those all day. You have to come out and make then earn the 1st downs if not they can hold it until they score.

Xcross. The Galax paper has a small footprint,so probably not much of coaches comments intended for Riverheads.

Based on the picks this week, we are the underdogs, 9-5. I am not surprised as Galax has proven they can play, beating a very good Burton and Essex team back to back weeks to make the championship. Regardless of outcome, this has been a very interesting playoffs and one that saw enough upsets to make it interesting. Good luck to all 12 teams that represent their schools tomorrow. I for one can't wait to see this one go down tomorrow due to the style of game I presume it to be. Two very heavy run oriented teams that are not flashy but extremely skilled none the less. I am guessing by 2:15 we have an answer to the question in all of our minds. #RollPride

How can we be the underdogs 9-5 when all SIX of the people in the Staunton paper went for us to win????

I was more impressed with Galax defense than I was with their offense. RH has a stout d also. The thing with RH is, you watch tape and figure out how to try and stop them, and you start the game that way, and you either have the guys to do it or you don't. Galax will find out on the first drive. If they can get a few stops, game will be close. If not RH will win by 3-4 scores. If they can't stop them on the first few drives when their fresh, it will be a long afternoon.

Longtime, I was referring to the pickem on this board. I am guessing none of our local newspaper people have watched anything on Galax by the scores they picked either.

2x4, I think it will be a defensive battle and I wouldn't discount the ability of either team to adjust what they do slightly. On the surface it looks exactly the same but even with these very straightforward offense's, there are intricacies that can make a difference. I will go further and say in principle it's not scheme only that stops any O. You have to have the players to get it done. I think anyone in Salem is in for a very good football game.

Last edited:
Punting will decide this game. I am willing to bet that if you only punt a half dozen times a year your punt team doesn't have a a lot. Of experience. Or the O's is so good and can't be stopped they march on down the field. We will see shortly. Good luck today and let's all enjoy the weather. We are blessed to have health to go because I have a friend that is sick and can't make the trip.

Scags, I agree with you 100%. I mentioned earlier that Galax would have the edge here, but I did not go into any detail...........

I can promise you that the RHS special teams is one of the best and well coached units in 1A/2A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT