ADVERTISEMENT

Galax/Riverheads- A Point to Ponder

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In my Saturday recap I mentioned that I would have another thought about the game so here it is....

Back during the regular season, Riverheads traveled to Stuarts Draft and walloped the Cougars pretty decisively (49-14) on their own field.

Then Saturday RHS and Galax treated us to a classic game that could have gone either way.

Later in the day, Stuarts Draft hangs with Appomattox in the 2-A game before the Raiders put it away in the fourth quarter.

So...........given the results of those three games...........could we perhaps argue that in this particular year the two best 1-A teams were better than the two best 2-A teams?

Thoughts????????????

In my Saturday recap I mentioned that I would have another thought about the game so here it is....

Back during the regular season, Riverheads traveled to Stuarts Draft and walloped the Cougars pretty decisively (49-14) on their own field.

Then Saturday RHS and Galax treated us to a classic game that could have gone either way.

Later in the day, Stuarts Draft hangs with Appomattox in the 2-A game before the Raiders put it away in the fourth quarter.

So...........given the results of those three games...........could we perhaps argue that in this particular year the two best 1-A teams were better than the two best 2-A teams?

Thoughts????????????
I agree completely. I know for a fact that either Galax or RHS could have beaten Appo. Not saying they definitely would but both could beat Appo IMO. I stayed and watched that and I wasnt impressed with Appo especially with all the hype I heard all year about them. Was expecting a little more than what I saw Sat. Not taking anything away from them because they are the 2A champs. Just thought it would have been a more convincing win. But a win is a win and thats all that matters.

Reactions: Bama1985

Thoughts????????????
Here's your answer according to calpreps.com where you can project game matchups between teams from various years based on being played on a neutral field.

Riverheads 31 Appomattox 22
Galax 31 Appomattox 30
Galax 34 Stuarts Draft 24

So YES, but we will never really know.

NIce outfit at game, especially the hat by the way.

Thoughts????????????

Wouldnt be the first time that 1A was better than 2A. In 2014, Essex or Altavista both would have knocked off Wilson Memorial or Glenvar.

Here's your answer according to calpreps.com where you can project game matchups between teams from various years based on being played on a neutral field.

Riverheads 31 Appomattox 22
Galax 31 Appomattox 30
Galax 34 Stuarts Draft 24

So YES, but we will never really know.

NIce outfit at game, especially the hat by the way.

Close but no cigar. I was wearing an ordinary baseball cap. But I know the hat you mean. "SOMETHING" had to be done to cover all that ugliness!!!

I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. As there was a picture in the Galax paper today that I would love to show you guys. They had a write up and a ton of pictures of the game and some quotes from both coaches. One picture in particular set me aside a little. In one picture it wrapped up what an epic, emotional battle that game was. It is a picture of Brendon Bryson of Galax no 7 and Smiley of RH hugging after the game. Two players both outstanding athletes who until Saturday had never met embracing after a game like that said a thousand words.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. As there was a picture in the Galax paper today that I would love to show you guys. They had a write up and a ton of pictures of the game and some quotes from both coaches. One picture in particular set me aside a little. In one picture it wrapped up what an epic, emotional battle that game was. It is a picture of Brendon Bryson of Galax no 7 and Smiley of RH hugging after the game. Two players both outstanding athletes who until Saturday had never met embracing after a game like that said a thousand words.

Here's the link to the article, if it works.

That close | GalaxGazette.com
https://www.galaxgazette.com/content/close

Thanks so much for sharing this link!! The pictures show up very nicely and I was also glad to see the stats for the game. Our local papers stopped printing game stats years ago and you never see them anymore, not even for big games like this.

great article in the paper, maybe we need to send this to the miss leader, and tell them this is how it is done for a championship game, great sportsmanship from both teams and there fanbase

That paper has.... other .. agendas to fill its pages with.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT