ADVERTISEMENT

Game film / Hudl

Dec 5, 2005
Not sure if this has been discussed on here before, but does anyone know if a non-coach/non-player can get access to game film? I didn't see any pricing on the hudl website for individual users. I would really like to watch some of these teams. Not only 4A teams, but any team in Virginia.

All up to the individual school how much access they want to give out to the public. I set our account up so that no one can buy the film not even parents. Don't want your film out for everyone to see. Problem is with hudl it makes it a lot easier for teams to "sell you out" which happens all the time. I'm pretty sure whoever we play will receive a lot of exchange requests from coaches in our area that want to see us lose and vice versa.

I thought it was standard practice for coaches to share film with whomever they play. I can understand not wanting other teams to have film of practice, but you can't stop other teams from coming to your games and scouting can you?

Standard practice is exchange your last two games. I'll give you an example when we played North Stafford in the state semifinals a team from our district had given them EVERY game we played that season on film. Its a huge advantage having 13 games of film as compared to two games.

It is common practice and professional courtesy. But there are always a few out there that can be uncooperative. I have also heard of instances where opposing Coachs were turned away from games, though I have never seen it. Only second hand info so take it with a grain of salt. The biggest scouting entourage I ever saw was from Briar Woods. At least 4 and they filmed the game.

You guys film practice? Guess it's not beyond reason. I know Colleges film every practice and grade the players out daily. If you have the resources to do that, I can see its being pretty useful for some HS's. Some schools have enough players so Coach's can't notice everything and everybody on every rep. Nice to have a rewind button.

Originally posted by shauntclair:
It is common practice and professional courtesy. But there are always a few out there that can be uncooperative. I have also heard of instances where opposing Coachs were turned away from games, though I have never seen it. Only second hand info so take it with a grain of salt. The biggest scouting entourage I ever saw was from Briar Woods. At least 4 and they filmed the game.

You guys film practice? Guess it's not beyond reason. I know Colleges film every practice and grade the players out daily. If you have the resources to do that, I can see its being pretty useful for some HS's. Some schools have enough players so Coach's can't notice everything and everybody on every rep. Nice to have a rewind button.
Filming practice is easy. Anybody with a tablet can do it.

Originally posted by 66Spartan2001:
Not sure if this has been discussed on here before, but does anyone know if a non-coach/non-player can get access to game film? I didn't see any pricing on the hudl website for individual users. I would really like to watch some of these teams. Not only 4A teams, but any team in Virginia.
Hudl isn't like YouTube. Having an account does not give you access to every film on the network. You have to be given access by a coach and that only gives you access to the film that they can access.

Back in the day it was not unheard of to get your 16mm game film and find that a ceratin play had been spliced out.
Game film was sent via greyhound or trailways which had to be picked up at the bus station.

I wouls also imagine it's not that hard. Just never seen it and I've seen more than a fair share of practices. To each his own but Coach's sure seem to have enough on their plate without having more film to review, especially with the pittance they're paid to do their job.

If you think it gives you an edge, go for it.

Originally posted by shauntclair:
I wouls also imagine it's not that hard. Just never seen it and I've seen more than a fair share of practices. To each his own but Coach's sure seem to have enough on their plate without having more film to review, especially with the pittance they're paid to do their job.

If you think it gives you an edge, go for it.
That's what Hudl is for. You don't need to hang around in the office after practice to watch the film. You can watch it anywhere with internet access whenever you have time.

66Spartan, to answer your question, Hudl is proprietary and not available to anyone other that approved subscribers. Which are schools and related type organizations. There are usually several to many, assistant coaches and various staff and others associated with athletic programs that are provided password access. Other than that, access is not provided.

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
66Spartan, to answer your question, Hudl is proprietary and not available to anyone other that approved subscribers. Which are schools and related type organizations. There are usually several to many, assistant coaches and various staff and others associated with athletic programs that are provided password access. Other than that, access is not provided.
Unless you got friends in the right places
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Thanks on 3a, Rod. That looked potentially ugly.
No problem. Just going to lead to a lot more of me being called a power-wielding tyrant.

Yay, me!

Yeah I figured that was the case. I was just looking for other alternatives to watch teams that I've never seen before. It doesn't have to be game film, just a decent highlight package. Thanks for the feedback.

I know a team that regularly films practices almost every day and it is reviewed daily sometimes with just coaches, and sometimes with players the first part of practice the next day. Can't get better if you are repeating the same mistakes on a daily basis.

Yeah 66, I know what you are saying. As the season winds down a few will post links to Hudl films. Mostly highlight films of special players, but I always enjoy them. I've found a lot of links by just googling the school or team name and adding "you tube" or "Hudl". And on MaxPreps, the teams will sometimes provide Hudl links, but mostly for key players.

I also think you can go to the NFHS web site and catch some complete games for free.

My love of high school athletics, football in particular, does not abate just because the season ends. If I used the time I spend looking up football "stuff", on running my business, then I may not be the owner of a "non profit corporation" as my wife is fond of calling our company.

Yeah 66, I know what you are saying. As the season winds down a few will post links to Hudl films. Mostly highlight films of special players, but I always enjoy them. I've found a lot of links by just googling the school or team name and adding "you tube" or "Hudl". And on MaxPreps, the teams will sometimes provide Hudl links, but mostly for key players.

I also think you can go to the NFHS web site and catch some complete games for free.

My love of high school athletics, football in particular, does not abate just because the season ends. If I used the time I spend looking up football "stuff", on running my business, then I may not be the owner of a "non profit corporation" as my wife is fond of calling our company.
Along the left side of the front page of the site, click on the photo that labeled "Video Vault".

I think that you will enjoy that.

ADVERTISEMENT