ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City vs. Bluestone

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
Any of you guys have any insight on Bluestone? Curious as to what to expect with them talent wise, style of play, big man presence or no, etc etc. Haven't really seen anything on them and the highlights i saw were very short and was hard to get a feel for them. Any info would be appreciated!

Any of you guys have any insight on Bluestone? Curious as to what to expect with them talent wise, style of play, big man presence or no, etc etc. Haven't really seen anything on them and the highlights i saw were very short and was hard to get a feel for them. Any info would be appreciated!
Not big, but quick and like to run the floor.

I heard a few people on other forum boards say that getting Bluestone was a good draw and that they wasn't nearly as good as some of the other teams that's still in the hunt. Just wasn't sure if I should believe that....they made it this far so they have to have some talent.

Once Bluestone left the "friendly" confines of their home court, Mason beat them by 30 on a neutral court. Their team lives and dies with #11. They are kind of a one on one team from what I saw. IMHO, they would have finished somewhere around 3rd through 5th in either the Bull Run or Shenandoah. But they are still playing so they do something right.

One fella I spoke with claimed he had never seen a team literally have that much of a home court advantage. Haha Said the refereeing when you go there was horrendous....almost comical as long as it wasn't your team that was getting the shaft.

They have to be doing something right no matter what I've been hearing. Any team this late in the tournament is a threat. If they want to play one on one and play super fast paced transition basketball, that will be right up GC's ally. That's what the Devils would prefer. Only if a team has a big man that's a threat will they go into a zone defense. McClung is a mismatch for most any team in 2A ball when played one on one....so I hope they choose to go man to man.

Last edited:
One fella I spoke with claimed he had never seen a team literally have that much of a home court advantage. Haha Said the refereeing when you go there was horrendous....almost comical as long as it wasn't your team that was getting the shaft.

They have to be doing something right no matter what I've been hearing. Any team this late in the tournament is a threat. If they want to play one on one and play super fast paced transition basketball, that will be right up GC's ally. That's what the Devils would prefer. Only if a team has a big man that's a threat will they go into a zone defense. McClung is a mismatch for most any team in 2A ball when played one on one....so I hope they choose to go man to man.

The school is located what is called the Southside part of VA. Not many major cities around to pull top officials from. I think they get their refs from the Richmond Association which is 2+ hours from the school or the Southside Association, which is still not very close. My guess would be that many of their games do not see the top refs of the association and they may get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting officials for games. Bluestone and Parkview probably get many officials who live in that area.

Many times fans complain about the officials at games... but remember there very few officiating associations across the state. Many of the local games near the association get the top officials. Then they are spread thin for the outskirt schools.

Take for instance, Buckingham. They use Lynchburg Officials for all sports. However, the Charlottesville Association is probably closer. Many of the officials for the C-ville Association probably live close to the Buckingham area versus the Lynchburg officials. I heard an official tell a coach one time at a Buckingham football game that he lived 45 minute on the other side of Lynchburg. This guy had to drive 45 minutes just to get to Lynchburg than another hour or so to the school.

For a team to go 22-5 and only lose one district game and still be playing means they have some talent. When posters start to complain about officiating, I usually chalk it up to sour grapes for their team losing to them at some point. So with the conspiracy theory this would mean that they played 22 home games or they had their own officials and traveled with them. Five loses, two of those by a 3A team that is still playing and has the ESPN #9 player in the 2018 class. in the country. Face it people, if you are still playing at this point you have a good team that is doing something right. and you might not like the style of ball that they play, but it must fit their personnel and style. Good luck to all of the teams and safe travels.

For a team to go 22-5 and only lose one district game and still be playing means they have some talent. When posters start to complain about officiating, I usually chalk it up to sour grapes for their team losing to them at some point. So with the conspiracy theory this would mean that they played 22 home games or they had their own officials and traveled with them. Five loses, two of those by a 3A team that is still playing and has the ESPN #9 player in the 2018 class. in the country. Face it people, if you are still playing at this point you have a good team that is doing something right. and you might not like the style of ball that they play, but it must fit their personnel and style. Good luck to all of the teams and safe travels.
Which player is the ESPN #9 player in the class of 2018? That player is on the current Bluestone team?

Once Bluestone left the "friendly" confines of their home court, Mason beat them by 30 on a neutral court. Their team lives and dies with #11. They are kind of a one on one team from what I saw. IMHO, they would have finished somewhere around 3rd through 5th in either the Bull Run or Shenandoah. But they are still playing so they do something right.

Agree. I haven't seen Gate City play...but I'm definitely going with them in this one. Bluestone is pretty undisciplined, love to fire from 3. Now, they have players and can get hot but....They looked terrible against Mason. Mason locked them down, went to a zone/matchup look in the second half and Bluestone was just clueless as to what to do...so they just started chucking 3s out of desperation. I was not impressed with them defensively either.

That being said...they have talent, they've won a lot of games, and they beat MC - who I never thought they would.

I also think they are mid-range teams in the BR or Shen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT