ADVERTISEMENT

Gate city vs Radford Game

HokieTDTech

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2012
Is game sold out ? I hate to drive 2 hrs and can’t buy tickets ?! I herd they had pre sale for tickets and word on this thanks !!

Is game sold out ? I hate to drive 2 hrs and can’t buy tickets ?! I herd they had pre sale for tickets and word on this thanks !!
I hear all the tickets are sold to the GC Radford game. They pre sold every one of them.

Wish they could have moved to Salem or Tech but I’m sure that makes to much since . I seen where it’s gong to be in nfhsnetwork.com so I’ll get to watch it ! Should be a classic

They pre-sold 2000 (1000 at each school). There are supposed to be 1400 gate tickets available, first come first served. Doors open at 7:00pm.

Reactions: HokieTDTech
Site: Radford University’s Dedmon Center

The Skinny: How will Gate City bounce back from last Saturday’s 75-59 loss to Graham in the VHSL Region 2D title game? That has been the question asked by many this week in Southwest Virginia. … “Our team has been brought back to reality after Graham’s victory over us,” said Gate City coach Scott Vermillion. “We are better for it.” … Gate City never led in the second half of the loss to Graham and got outrebounded, outhustled and outplayed. It was the first defeat for the Blue Devils since Dec. 27. … Mac McClung had 39 points in the loss to Graham. He’s averaging 38.5 points per game and has scored a VHSL single-season record 1,040 points in 2017-18. … McClung has 2,688 career points, second place on the VHSL career scoring list. McClung is 83 points shy of breaking the record of 2,770 points established by former Floyd County High School star Caleb Tanner. … Radford has won six state titles in program history, including the 2016 and 2017 VHSL 1A championships. The Bobcats moved up a classification this year, but have not lost a game … Radford beat Gate City in the 2013 VHSL Group A, Division 2 state finals. … Point guard Quinton Morton-Robertson makes Radford go and is averaging 21 points and five assists per game. Kam Edwards, Cam Cormany and Miles Jones (the son of Radford University coach Mike Jones) are also the leaders for the Bobcats. … Radford doesn’t have a single senior on its roster. Nine juniors, one sophomore and three freshmen suit up for the Bobcats. … The Dedmon Center will be rocking tonight and this game will likely live up to the hype. “Should be a really good game between two really good programs,” said Radford coach Rick Cormany.

Reactions: pizzzzza and Buc101
It will be interesting to see how GC does indeed bounce back after the loss. They've had a long week to think about it that's for sure. Radford on the other hand just keeps taking care of business. If both teams are clicking, this has the making for an all time classic.

My daughter just drove by the arena, people already in line for this game. WOW!!! For a HS game, this is madness.

My daughter just drove by the arena, people already in line for this game. WOW!!! For a HS game, this is madness.

They must’ve got in their cars then because I just drove by and saw no one. I don’t doubt, though, that there will be people out there at two or 3 o’clock.

I just heard fans can only buy one ticket per person. WTF!! There isn’t 1000 students, staff in Radford HS

Reactions: HokieTDTech
Vhsl really dropped the ball on this deal smh

Can you imagine just HOW many tickets they could've sold for this game???

What would be the largest 'available' basketball arena in the area capacity wise?

I don't know the numbers.......

Is it Va Tech......Roanoke Coliseum........??????

DXUQP_8WkAANzn-.jpg

RADFORD, 5 PM: Lined up outside Dedmon Center already. Gate City vs Radford 8:30 pm

DXUwglCWAAArTrH.jpg

RADFORD U: 50 minutes to tip. If you're not already here, forget about it

DXU4ABdX4AA9Jni.jpg

Gate city blue devils in the house along with at least 4,000 fans.

How much would that have cost Ryan? Im sure some expense would be involved. I remember vaguely when the championship was played in Blacksburg. One year Mavahi got beat in the finals and the head coach at the time stopped the bus on the way back and said "We didn't come up here for no 2nd place trophy" and proceeded to throw the trophy off the bridge into the New River. Wouldn't have believed it but several players on the team swear it was true. Tech's venue would have been great to use but would it have been a logistically viable option.

1A Radford goes up to 2A this year (thankfully for the rest of Class 1). Even in 2A, Radford brings a 27-0 (and hopes of a 2A title) record against Gate City.

Congrats to GC on the big win! Glad to see it.

The Richmond paper today has a pic of McClung as the main out of towner to watch for all 6 classes.

McClung is called something of a folk hero in Southwest VA, which I think is awesome.

My 1A team plays tonight in the Qs. If can keep winning, would play at VCU at 4 this Friday. Paper says GC will play at 8 on Friday if they make it to Richmond.

Good luck!

How much would that have cost Ryan? Im sure some expense would be involved. I remember vaguely when the championship was played in Blacksburg. One year Mavahi got beat in the finals and the head coach at the time stopped the bus on the way back and said "We didn't come up here for no 2nd place trophy" and proceeded to throw the trophy off the bridge into the New River. Wouldn't have believed it but several players on the team swear it was true. Tech's venue would have been great to use but would it have been a logistically viable option.
I’m sure it would have costed more than Radford, but you would make it up with the extra 1k+ people uoin could have put in the place. Plus concessions.

I'm not sure what's different now than then but the only time I have ever been in Cassell was for a Haysi/Radford boys quarterfinal back in the 90's. So they have hosted state tourney games in the past

The game at Tech would have been a wash. VT would allow the costs of the power bill to turn on Cassell Coliseum simply for the exposure of having the game there. The extra 1000 people would have got in, but that leaves nearly half the Coliseum empty. The atmosphere wouldn't have been the same. Financially, probably a wash, but in my opinion, a smart decision to play at Radford. Give the smaller school the exposure and some of that coin. VT has plenty of it locally and nationally, and I'm a Tech fan.

Now.......if Martinsville beats Graham, the game with GC needs to be at The Cassell. It would be the semis and Martinsville's historical prowess coupled with the legend of Mac that is STILL growing would likely sale 6,000 or more tickets. Especially if the game is announced early on that it's going to be played in Blacksburg. That would likely add another 750 student body members of VT to catch the game. Why 750 or more student body members? Consider a student population of 27 or so thousand compared to Radford's very few (less than 10 thousand). Additionally, Mac is an internet sensation and young kids are very familiar with him. I'm telling ya, he would draw 750 student body members if the game were at the Cassell as it's literally a 30 second to 5 minute walk from the dorms. This is assuming Martinsville wins.......and Graham ain't going quietly and is expecting to win.

Last edited:
The game at Tech would have been a wash. VT would allow the costs of the power bill to turn on Cassell Coliseum simply for the exposure of having the game there. The extra 1000 people would have got in, but that leaves nearly half the Coliseum empty. The atmosphere wouldn't have been the same. Financially, probably a wash, but in my opinion, a smart decision to play at Radford. Give the smaller school the exposure and some of that coin. VT has plenty of it locally and nationally, and I'm a Tech fan.

Now.......if Martinsville beats Graham, the game with GC needs to be at The Cassell. It would be the semis and Martinsville's historical prowess coupled with the legend of Mac that is STILL growing would likely sale 6,000 or more tickets. Especially if the game is announced early on that it's going to be played in Blacksburg. That would likely add another 750 student body members of VT to catch the game.
You don’t think it needed to be at Tech, but did you get locked out because there weren’t enough seats? Because I did. It sucks to drive out there and not make it in because they played in a gym they knew ahead of time wouldn’t hold everyone.

Also, if it was Mavahi vs. GC at VT, there won’t be any VT students there. Our spring break started today. Blacksburg is s ghost town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT