ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City

Dec 7, 2007
If Gate City wins this Friday, they will have a 5 game winning streak. They have played a Brutal schedule this year, but if they make the playoffs, I don't look for them to make it past the 1st round. Young team, with a New Head Coach, Head Coach to me hasn't proved himself to be a good fit for GC.

GC is a team with ONE star player and a bunch of role guys. Your best player didn't play this year. New coach. New system. Little bit down in talent. And a brutal schedule. 5-5 is a major victory if that happens. You can't be down on a coach after 1 year. Give him some time to get his system in place and to let the talent come back.

Don't turn into a Tazewell.

Agreed. Change is change at first; neither good nor bad. Give this coach a chance to motivate and put pieces in place. Take these five games and build off of it. From what I've seen GC is just cycling around in most sports. They will build back up.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Agreed. Change is change at first; neither good nor bad. Give this coach a chance to motivate and put pieces in place. Take these five games and build off of it. From what I've seen GC is just cycling around in most sports. They will build back up.

I agree and disagree. Regarding your change statement, I disagree with you that change is "just change at first and neither good or bad." That is simply not always the case. There is no hard rule that change is just change at first. Fact is....change can be good or bad or somewhere in the middle either early on, late in the process, or again, somewhere in the middle regarding time. We can agree to this, change is unpredictable many times, and often, it's not clearly good or bad or right or wrong, but somewhere in the middle.

Where I agree with you is.......the new Coach definitely should be allotted more time. It is crazy to even consider the thought of removing him after one year. I recall reading this board and on SWVA Sports last year at how many were upset with Graham's new Coach last year. Well, they certainly are not complaining this year. Give the new Coach more time at the Gate. They will be back and he will do well.

GC is very good, and Union will draw them first round of playoffs. Should be a tight contest.

Nope. Gate City will finish 12th and Union 5th. Sets us a CRAZY GOOD first round matchup.
I figured GC would drop one spot, since they don't play this week, but I'm just guessing. If they play Union, should be a Great game. GC played with Union, actually lead in the game for a while, but Union has too many weapons to play with them for 60 mins.

Floyd is 21 points behind GC, Battle is 24 points behind. GC will pick up rider points from some of their other games. I don't think Floyd or Battle (who will lose to Union) will be able to accrue enough points to pass them. GC is solidly locked into 12th unless Battle pulls the miracle.

Floyd is 21 points behind GC, Battle is 24 points behind. GC will pick up rider points from some of their other games. I don't think Floyd or Battle (who will lose to Union) will be able to accrue enough points to pass them. GC is solidly locked into 12th unless Battle pulls the miracle.
I like GC chances( very little) against Union, but it's a closer drive for us to play them. Still have one more week of football to play, anything can happen next week.

I like GC chances( very little) against Union, but it's a closer drive for us to play them. Still have one more week of football to play, anything can happen next week.

If Va High beats Lee then GC will move to #11 and Lee will fall to #12.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
If VA High manages to beat Lee and GC moves into the 11 spot.....GC will then face who? Glenvar or Martinsville?

If VA High manages to beat Lee and GC moves into the 11 spot.....GC will then face who? Glenvar or Martinsville?
Glenvar assuming they don't get upset by Floyd Co. They would face Marion if they were to upset Abingdon Friday.

GC could fall to #13 in the very unlikely event that both Floyd Co and Lee both win.

Well I wouldn't count out Marion beating Abingdon.....seems like they are starting to get things together. So they will play either Union, Marion, Glenvar, or possibly face the #4 seed providing a miracle happens.

What are the chances that the new Gate City coach takes the first train out of Big Blue Country? Any thoughts Devil fans?
I personally don't think he's a good fit for GC system. That's just my opinion. GC is young, got a bunch of talented players, so he may stay for a while. I've been hearing around the rumor mill, if he stays, he will have to bring in all new coaches next yr, cause the ones we have now are going to leave the system, but that's just rumors. He may be a good coach, I personally don't know him, never met him, but with a program GC has, I just don't understand why hire a coach with a 12-11 record?

I personally don't think he's a good fit for GC system. That's just my opinion. GC is young, got a bunch of talented players, so he may stay for a while. I've been hearing around the rumor mill, if he stays, he will have to bring in all new coaches next yr, cause the ones we have now are going to leave the system, but that's just rumors. He may be a good coach, I personally don't know him, never met him, but with a program GC has, I just don't understand why hire a coach with a 12-11 record?

Didn't he take a bad rural retreat team to 8 or 9 wins last year?

Didn't he take a bad rural retreat team to 8 or 9 wins last year?
He did, 8 wins. Like I said, he may be a good coach, I personally don't know him. He may do wonders for GC, but I figured GC would of found a well established Head Coach, who has proven himself. I'm just not giving the guy time to establish himself, that's my problem lol.

Reactions: eh31
The guy started 0-5, kept coaching, kept trying to get the team better. None of the kids quit on him cause he didn't quit on them. He has heart and wants to win. He and the kids fought hard and got to 5-5 and GC is back in the playoffs after missing out last season. You can tell he cares about the kids. Give the man some time. He inherited a mess Houseright created. We must be patient. 3 losses to 1 loss teams and 2 losses to multiple loss teams. (Should have beat South and possibly Bluefield). I think Akers has learned a few things this year. He's aggressive but I think he realized that it got us in trouble and took us out of some early ball games. But I can understand cause the guy wants to prove to us that he can handle the job at GC and was wanting to win. He and team could have called it a season after 0-5 but fought hard to end 5-5. To me that shows what kind of character he has. Now I'm stepping off my soap box and except you guys to give Akers a shot, Rome wasn't built over night and I don't see anything after 10 weeks that deserves him to be ran off or to resign. 5-5 and a playoff game. Go support him and quit being negative. I'm sure everyone complained when Colobro replaced Fry and I heard moans and groans when Houseright replaced Colobro.

Give Akers some time....he did inherit a mess. GC lost the games I thought they would lose.....but hung in there on a few games I thought they had no chance in. (Union and Bluefield) The team went from 0-5 to 5-5 and I wouldn't care to bet one bit on GC winning against South or Bluefield if they had the chance to play them again. Aside from Richlands and Abingdon which they was just out manned, GC faired well....just couldn't pull the games out in the 4th. And I think if Collier had been playing against Richlands the score would have been far more respectable and even though he played, he wasn't healthy against Abingdon. As bad as the record looks, GC really isn't as bad of a team as some make them out to be. They haven't been consistent and looked rough in some of their wins, but for a young team I think they have done okay. If Akers sticks around for 2-3 years, I think he will get to reap the benefits of a more talented GC squad.

Reactions: bigbluecannonball
If GC ends up 12th, they would play Union again and as a Bear fan thats far from an easy win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT