ADVERTISEMENT

GC coach

Dec 11, 2019
GC coach crying in local paper today about JM's talent level and their recruiting lol, that is the pot calling the kettle black, i wonder how many kingsport kids played at GC over the years, hell he admitted his own players even played for the same organization lol,

GC usually doesn't bring in Kingsport kids in basketball but his comments def came off as sour grapes. Not a great look. Even if there is an issue, I'm not sure about allowing an AAU coach to be a HS coach and the TSSAA has certain rules, this wasn't the best time to bring up those issues. Let JM enjoy their win, the kids didn't do anything wrong.

JM has roughly 500 or so students, they're categorized as 2A by VHSL not there own choosing. If each kid lives in the city of Richmond and want to play for a team that promotes exposure to college basketball, why not?. I guess we should be mad at a parent who puts there child in private school instead of staying with the kids they "grew up" with...

Reactions: AntGZee
7feeter, don't even get me started with you. Your a typical Region D Gate City hater, so it's no surprise everything out of your trapjaw wreaks of GC hate.

As for you BigWinners, well....I have seen some recent sensibility in your recent posts in the other thread, so for what's it worth and I hate to agree with you, but props on that thread calling out some trolls.

Now, 7feeter and anyone who truly knows the VHSL in High Schools and how things work from approximately the 1/64/81 cutoff starting with shall we say........Riverheads and to the far side of Richmond and ending around New Kent County knows the numbers alledged in Many, Not All, but Many of these schools enrollments are absolute, first class horseshi*! Many of the lower Valley, CVille area and Richmond area schools have been comically fudging (a nice word for it) their numbers for years. BigWinners, I know....that you also know this truth from the other board.

As for JM, I have no clue if their numbers are fudged and because many schools in this area often and regularly fudge numbers does NOT mean all schools do it and this includes JM.

JM is a machine and they would compete at the D5 level and they were clearly the best team. My point is this.....people on this board do not know what the GC coach knows. I read his comments and he was eluding to my above comments on numbers. That does not mean he's right. But WE also don't know he's wrong. Coaches have far more connections and info then the lay public.

I told y'all give the Devil's their due because of DEFENSE and Rebounding. This was the best Defensive and Rebounding GC team in 5 years. Offensively, it was the least best in 5 years, but it shows what great D and Rebounding can do. And for you tools saying JM by 30+ points ,YOU WERE WRONG, and now that you were wrong, some of you have shifted the goalposts to saying, "well GC lost and JM won." That's true, but this wasn't the original argument for some. Also, look for Dean to have some D1 offers come in during the next few weeks. He showed his ability to score and score easily on an elite, fast, long, and very solid High School team that is probably a top 4-5 team in all of Va's public schools.

Congrats to JM which has an awesome program, and congrats to those Devil's who showed some serious SWVA heart.

Last edited:
I don't think Vermillions issue was with enrollment as much as the AAU connections between JM and Team Loaded. Off top of my head, one kid transferred from Varina (could be wrong on the school he left) and another grew up in GA. But at the end of the day, if they're not breaking any rules, I don't see how anyone can do anything about it. If it came out bribes are being offered or kids are living in the coverage area or if academics are being fudged, then there should be repercussions but if it's just kids moving to the area and transferring in to play there, I don't see the issue other than everyone else being at a serious talent disadvantage.

I'm not a big fan of the AAU system anyway so I do believe the VHSL has to walk a fine line between being overbearing and draconian and making sure HS basketball doesn't end up like another AAU season. But if JM is following the rules and doing everything above board, no one should blame them.

GC coach crying in local paper today about JM's talent level and their recruiting lol, that is the pot calling the kettle black, i wonder how many kingsport kids played at GC over the years, hell he admitted his own players even played for the same organization lol,
Troll. Read the article and post facts. He wasn’t crying. He more then complimented JM and their coach. It’s not them he said did anything wrong necessarily. He’s just stating the unfair advantage they have being affiliated with an AAU team. Kids that may not live in the “area” zoned for a particular school but because of the exposure they can receive by playing at a high school because of their AAU affiliation, they go to that school. GC has turned away players in the past who have tried to come to GC for the sole purpose of playing any sport. If it’s not a legitimate reason and move then they are deemed ineligible.

GC’s coach praised how great of a team JM is and how great of a guy their coach is. He spoke about how they were the best team and deserved to be the champs. How is that sour grapes? He also praised the Team Loaded and the great things they do for kids, yes including some of GC’s in the past. It’s definitely something the VHSL needs to look into though.

Troll. Read the article and post facts. He wasn’t crying. He more then complimented JM and their coach. It’s not them he said did anything wrong necessarily. He’s just stating the unfair advantage they have being affiliated with an AAU team. Kids that may not live in the “area” zoned for a particular school but because of the exposure they can receive by playing at a high school because of their AAU affiliation, they go to that school. GC has turned away players in the past who have tried to come to GC for the sole purpose of playing any sport. If it’s not a legitimate reason and move then they are deemed ineligible.

GC’s coach praised how great of a team JM is and how great of a guy their coach is. He spoke about how they were the best team and deserved to be the champs. How is that sour grapes? He also praised the Team Loaded and the great things they do for kids, yes including some of GC’s in the past. It’s definitely something the VHSL needs to look into though.
Nicely pointed, I just feel that why take a shot at a team that worked just as hard as his GC team did too. Take that up with the commissioner or the right people the right way. Especially in the social media era where sound bites get misconstrued...

Guarantee you this. Within 3 years, the VHSL will not allow an AAU Coach to also be a High School Hoops coach in Virginia. I'm sorry, but there is no chance that's fair to the other programs across the state. There is absolutely no chance that anyone within their right mind could argue, "it doesn't create an advantage for that Head Coach and his school." Guys come on for God's sake, you know better.

Scotty V was absolutely right. Now, is it illegal? No. Did Scotty V say it was illegal? No, he did not. But, he rightfully questioned the advantage it creates and let's face it, it does, especially in an urban area where you have more people and moving or going across town is far easier than for example, moving from Bluefield, Va to Gate City, Va.

You can bet the VHSL will step in, unless the coach at JM has some connection with the rule makers. Trust me, Boo Williams tried forever in the Tidewater to be a High School Head Coach, and each time, he was told by the AD of the school 8n which he applied, "give up the AAU job." There is no such thing as an AAU team in a decent size City or metro area in the US as having average or even above average High School talent. The talent on these teams will compare to at least a Div 2 schools when you consider how many of the starting 5 go well beyond Div 2 or Div 3 and often play DI, even if a small D1 school like Elon. The advantage that JM has is absolutely overwhelming. Legal? Yep, right now. Wrong? Yep, a moral wrong right now. The legal side will catch up soon, and Verm was spot on for challenging the issue, and he wants to bring it to the forefront of discussion and get it out in public. His statement worked.

Absolutely positively sour grapes he all but said there should be an asterisk beside JM as the state champion. Having said that I think a final 4 of East Rock, GC, Radford and Brunswick would have been highly competitive and probably more in line with traditional AA basketball

Guarantee you this. Within 3 years, the VHSL will not allow an AAU Coach to also be a High School Hoops coach in Virginia. I'm sorry, but there is no chance that's fair to the other programs across the state. There is absolutely no chance that anyone within their right mind could argue, "it doesn't create an advantage for that Head Coach and his school." Guys come on for God's sake, you know better.

Scotty V was absolutely right. Now, is it illegal? No. Did Scotty V say it was illegal? No, he did not. But, he rightfully questioned the advantage it creates and let's face it, it does, especially in an urban area where you have more people and moving or going across town is far easier than for example, moving from Bluefield, Va to Gate City, Va.

You can bet the VHSL will step in, unless the coach at JM has some connection with the rule makers. Trust me, Boo Williams tried forever in the Tidewater to be a High School Head Coach, and each time, he was told by the AD of the school 8n which he applied, "give up the AAU job." There is no such thing as an AAU team in a decent size City or metro area in the US as having average or even above average High School talent. The talent on these teams will compare to at least a Div 2 schools when you consider how many of the starting 5 go well beyond Div 2 or Div 3 and often play DI, even if a small D1 school like Elon. The advantage that JM has is absolutely overwhelming. Legal? Yep, right now. Wrong? Yep, a moral wrong right now. The legal side will catch up soon, and Verm was spot on for challenging the issue, and he wants to bring it to the forefront of discussion and get it out in public. His statement worked.
I guess it depends what side of the fence you're on. Morally wrong? Coach is right to comment on rules and regulations after a championship game?
I disagree, respectfully. They had a sportsmanship segment before the game that talks about losing with dignity. Stirring up legalities is bush league.

Reactions: Dawg'89

And I respect Boo Williams program and how they conduct business but don't knock another program. If it's within the rules and kids are given opportunities for free college, amen to that. Get the hell out of Richmond and obtain a degree while playing a game.

I don’t think it’s sour grapes. He said he’ll take his kids from Scott County over kids who are recruited. Personally, I don’t have a problem with recruiting or going to another school to improve your scholarship or ring chances...Congrats to Marshall did repping RVA. Hopefully they fire Mike Rhoades and hire Ty White at VCU.

Reactions: Johnny"football"
A few points from someone with no dog in the fight.

Coaching AAU is definitely an advantage if you are a HS coach as well. While not the same, a private school in the valley is getting all kinds of transfers (yep the head coach is AAU).

I think GC coach has some inside info. If McClung, Ervin, and Dean all played for Team Loaded then you know those kids and parents talk. How would JM have ever thought they would ever end up in same division?

Money and Sponsors corrupt period. Sierra Canyon had the entire USA to find opponents. They come from a game in Las Vegas to Richmond then back to CA. How in the world would they happen to find a little 2A school with 500 students in VA?

Sours grapes? Maybe, but GC coach had a hell of a platform to voice his gripes and he took it.

John Marshall enrollment numbers are really down and will only decrease, they have a large neighborhood where many of the kids attend private school, a neighborhood that has been rezoned to TJ next year and lose many students to henrico county due to Henrico High School being less then a mile away. Get used to them staying at 2A their numbers won’t increase again unless their elementary population chooses to stay in the city.

So are you saying the only reason they win is because of their coach being an AUU coach? So if they had a non-AUU coach they wouldn't have won 2A? I'm not following? If the kids have an address in the zone of JM what have they done wrong? Actually in today's landscape many kids/families recruit themselves to teams. In some situations the coach don't have to recruit. The recruitment is in the programs success.

Reactions: Johnny"football"
So are you saying the only reason they win is because of their coach being an AUU coach? So if they had a non-AUU coach they wouldn't have won 2A? I'm not following? If the kids have an address in the zone of JM what have they done wrong? Actually in today's landscape many kids/families recruit themselves to teams. In some situations the coach don't have to recruit. The recruitment is in the programs success.
And Richmond City is the capital of Virginia. Having kids move into the city versus let's say moving to Scott Co is not a fair comparison. Of course rural area kids will more than likely grow up together but saying, "I wanna see where they grew up" is BS and irrelevant.

Reactions: aw19752
He should be pushing for the VHSL to allow schools to play up again. Otherwise just consider himself lucky that Isaiah Todd transferred out of John Marshall.
That's the funny thing. With Todd maybe the result versus Sierra Canyon would have been different. Who knows?

When it’s all said and done jayem kids area legally, the school is 2A the kids live in the school zone. So it’s shouldn’t be a issue , Gc is A small town and they have little to choose from far as talent , as to where Jm is in a metro city where you can have great talent rva have plenty of elite teams. Jayem there just good , school have 500 kids in it and Gc is mad because Jm is a team that beat them fair and square, suck it up and move on, Gc u wanna get better get your kids in the gym work them in the summer make them join aau teams to get them better. Wish them the best, but jayem will be back next year but even bette team.

Reactions: schoolboard
JM is the only city school that made a final four. They are really good now but it will change. Just how Martinsville and RE Lee dominated for periods of time. The roster does have 3 D1 recruits but didn't Gate City have that not too long ago?

So I hear some here say it's a moral issue. Gate City two years kept McClung in games they were up by 40 just he could break record. I have a issue with that. Radford had Q as a starting point guard at Radford for 4 years, most night he didn't play the 4th Quarter. Anyone watching last year games ( a lot of them are on YouTube) could see he could have put up 50 a night. Radford had a kid from Australia a few years but no one cried about that. If he had beef he should approached a VHSL official about it and played the game under protest.

I need a bit of clarification.... am I reading this right that as long as the student lives in Richmond City, then they can attend the city school of their choosing as long as they can get themselves there?

If that's the case, then there is certainly a competitive advantage to be gained even outside of all of the AAU connection stuff. Richmond City is 60+ square miles and has a population of 223K. Martinsville, by comparison, is 11 square miles and has a population of about 14,000. Madison County has a population of less than 13K. These schools, as well as pretty much every other small town 2A school is out there playing with the kids that live in a home where the school bus can actually come pick them up.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Does anyone know how many of the JM kids play for that particular AAU team? Regardless, though, as long as they actually live in the JM attendance zone, there's no issue...the GC coach was quoted as saying he was certain that not all of them did, but I'd imagine that's speculation on his part.

So I hear some here say it's a moral issue. Gate City two years kept McClung in games they were up by 40 just he could break record. I have a issue with that. Radford had Q as a starting point guard at Radford for 4 years, most night he didn't play the 4th Quarter. Anyone watching last year games ( a lot of them are on YouTube) could see he could have put up 50 a night. Radford had a kid from Australia a few years but no one cried about that. If he had beef he should approached a VHSL official about it and played the game under protest.
Hey I was with you until you hated on Mac lol.

There are several school systems throughout Virginia with that policy. I’m not sure if RICHMOND City is one or not but it is not uncommon.
Loudoun County policy is as a 9th grader you can go to any school as long as the school will not go over it's intended enrollment. BUT if you decide to transfer afterwards to another school in the system you must sit out a year.

Does anyone know how many of the JM kids play for that particular AAU team? Regardless, though, as long as they actually live in the JM attendance zone, there's no issue...the GC coach was quoted as saying he was certain that not all of them did, but I'd imagine that's speculation on his part.
In baseball high school teammates can be on the same travel or American Legion team... In football you have 7on7 leagues for high school teams... Volleyball have travel teams with entire high school teams. .. so what's the issue with JM players playing together on same AUU team?

In baseball high school teammates can be on the same travel or American Legion team... In football you have 7on7 leagues for high school teams... Volleyball have travel teams with entire high school teams. .. so what's the issue with JM players playing together on same AUU team?

There isn't an issue, I was just curious....

Reactions: aw19752
Richmond City has open enrollment and also the students who choose to play at John Marshall does not have to go to the actual school. They can go to Franklin Military, Open or Community High School as long as they live in the JM zone!

Richmond City has open enrollment and also the students who choose to play at John Marshall does not have to go to the actual school. They can go to Franklin Military, Open or Community High School as long as they live in the JM zone!
So I assume if those kids from different schools are allowed to play for JM then those enrollments count toward JM’s total enrollment right? How is that not an unfair advantage against everyone else. Let me add this just like GC’s coach said I believe, this is not a JM issue, it’s a VHSL issue. It’s not a the kids can’t play for the same AAU team it’s that these kids who play on the same AAU team decide to go and play for the high school team the director of their AAU team coaches at. They may not have been zoned for JM or even lived near Richmond but because of the AAU ties they move there. That’s the issue I believe that the VHSL needs to look at. It’s not a knock on JM, they were truly the best team in ALL of VA I believe. If they can operate like that they should be considered a private school.

So I assume if those kids from different schools are allowed to play for JM then those enrollments count toward JM’s total enrollment right? How is that not an unfair advantage against everyone else. Let me add this just like GC’s coach said I believe, this is not a JM issue, it’s a VHSL issue. It’s not a the kids can’t play for the same AAU team it’s that these kids who play on the same AAU team decide to go and play for the high school team the director of their AAU team coaches at. They may not have been zoned for JM or even lived near Richmond but because of the AAU ties they move there. That’s the issue I believe that the VHSL needs to look at. It’s not a knock on JM, they were truly the best team in ALL of VA I believe. If they can operate like that they should be considered a private school.
The more you listen to this the worse it gets.

Reactions: Buc101
I respect Mac and his game. I just think it's the pot calling kittle black
How? The issue would be Mac playing for Team Loaded and deciding to go to JM and play with the director to finish his high school career. What would have been the reason to go play at JM other then the AAU ties? That’s the issue. So what do you mean by the pot calling the kettle black?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT