ADVERTISEMENT

GC coach

I will write this again. The issue is.....JMs head coach is also the Head Coach of a prominent AAU team in Richmond that is known throughout the SouthEast.

What part of the above is confusing? What part of the above is not COMMON SENSE in knowing that an open enrollment City or metro of near 300 thousand is going to create an advantage for that school? The city with around one quarter of a million has a solid AAU team and that same city has that AAU teams coach at JM High.

And some of you sheep are telling me it doesn't create an advantage? Again, NO PERSON in America is arguing that it's illegal. It's very legal and I credit JM. What I'm saying is this....

It's and unfair advantage and a moral wrong. For you sheeple who are reacting to the word "moral" like it's throwing water on and electrical circuit, then shut up and go to a Bernie rally. You are useless. I'm saying that it should be made illegal by VHSL standards and I'm telling you it will be in the next 2-3 years. The Gate City coach was spot on. His comments were made to draw attention to the situation and now, we are on page 2 of this topic. His comments worked and they were right.

Reactions: pizzzzza
I will write this again. The issue is.....JMs head coach is also the Head Coach of a prominent AAU team in Richmond that is known throughout the SouthEast.

What part of the above is confusing? What part of the above is not COMMON SENSE in knowing that an open enrollment City or metro of near 300 thousand is going to create an advantage for that school? The city with around one quarter of a million has a solid AAU team and that same city has that AAU teams coach at JM High.

And some of you sheep are telling me it doesn't create an advantage? Again, NO PERSON in America is arguing that it's illegal. It's very legal and I credit JM. What I'm saying is this....

It's and unfair advantage and a moral wrong. For you sheeple who are reacting to the word "moral" like it's throwing water on and electrical circuit, then shut up and go to a Bernie rally. You are useless. I'm saying that it should be made illegal by VHSL standards and I'm telling you it will be in the next 2-3 years. The Gate City coach was spot on. His comments were made to draw attention to the situation and now, we are on page 2 of this topic. His comments worked and they were right.
You should sign his petition, write a letter to VHSL and your local congressman. Again, throwing out legalities and technicalities about a kids birth certificate and census status after a game is/was bush league. You keep saying its about VHSL, so Scotty V should take it up with them. 2 pages of anonymous posts from Monday morning QB's ain't going to move the meter Jack!

How? The issue would be Mac playing for Team Loaded and deciding to go to JM and play with the director to finish his high school career. What would have been the reason to go play at JM other then the AAU ties? That’s the issue. So what do you mean by the pot calling the kettle black?
You were talking about morals. I don't moral to keep stars on the court in the 4th when you are up by 40. Read my original comment.

Reactions: st8chmpLB
What if the owner of the RICHMOND Braves National travel baseball team also coached at say, LCBird High School (he doesn’t by the way).

And then his travel team players all ended up at LCB. They would win the baseball state on par with how JM won basketball. They play much tougher competition throughout the summer than they would face in the VHSL.

What if the George Mason soccer coach created a summer travel soccer program? I expect the best NOVA has to offer in soccer would soon be attending GM.

Would the uproar be the same? I know these are hypothetical but there is potential for summer coaches to build super teams in about every sport.

If the VHSL doesn’t address it, this scenario may come to pass in most sports.

Reactions: Johnny"football"
You were talking about morals. I don't moral to keep stars on the court in the 4th when you are up by 40. Read my original comment.
I don’t believe I was talking about morals. My opinion is that the AAU ties as well as JM being able to pull kids from other schools to play sports and it not count towards their enrollment puts them at an advantage over most other schools. JM isn’t doing anything wrong or illegal. The fact that there isn’t a rule to say you can’t do that is the issue to me. Nothing moral about it.

What if the owner of the RICHMOND Braves National travel baseball team also coached at say, LCBird High School (he doesn’t by the way).

And then his travel team players all ended up at LCB. They would win the baseball state on par with how JM won basketball. They play much tougher competition throughout the summer than they would face in the VHSL.

What if the George Mason soccer coach created a summer travel soccer program? I expect the best NOVA has to offer in soccer would soon be attending GM.

Would the uproar be the same? I know these are hypothetical but there is potential for summer coaches to build super teams in about every sport.

If the VHSL doesn’t address it, this scenario may come to pass in most sports.
You win... leave it alone now lol

I don’t believe I was talking about morals. My opinion is that the AAU ties as well as JM being able to pull kids from other schools to play sports and it not count towards their enrollment puts them at an advantage over most other schools. JM isn’t doing anything wrong or illegal. The fact that there isn’t a rule to say you can’t do that is the issue to me. Nothing moral about it.
And I totally get that a team who faces JM having a problem with it but recruiting to me is a kid traveling from Northern Va to play for JM. What if the rule changes and Coach White steps aside and the assistant steps in and they still get the talent coming in?!

This stuff is getting old already lol..I guess we're bored with nothing else sportswise to talk about.

You win... leave it alone now lol
Seriously, I don’t care either way. I was just pointing out what COULD happen. But even if it does happen, so what?

My goal as a former coach was to get as many players to the next level as possible. Grades, improving skill level, making better life choices, etc took priority over wins/losses. Funny thing is that the more we improved these things, the more wins we got! And the more kids moved onto the next level.

Reactions: aw19752
Interesting the way all of this stuff works. If you look at the big man's college offers, the 4 biggest names that have offered are all Adidas schools.

Does Coronavirus effect the brain? I'm wondering by the way a couple of you are posting and spewing absolute horse manure. Is there any human on the planet that has stated what the JM coach has done is ILLEGAL? No, there isn't. No person has stated it's illegal. Has most people given JM props for their success if you are a 2A hoops fan with a team that goes deep on most years? Yes, I for one have and I commend this solid program. But, is the situation "wrong." Now I know...….hold on.....some of you foolish sheep absolutely have no moral compass other than what is legal and illegal in accordance with the law and any discussion of "right and wrong" completely throws you into a state of status epilepticus. I get that, but for the ones with some brain capacity, I am simply stating that the situation is a moral wrong. Illegal? No, of course not. But simply "wrong"? Yes, it's wrong. The JM Head Coach who coaches his High School Team and also coaches an elite AAU team in a city that has open enrollment absolutely does create an unfair advantage, and if you have an unfair advantage, that is not cool. It's wrong. Again, is it legal? Yes, it is right now. This is all Scotty V was saying to sum up his statement.

Once again, spare me the ignorant post that states, "JM has done nothing illegal so hat's off to them, they are fine and everything is ok." The fact is, the situation is messed up and they in fact, do have an unfair advantage. We will revisit this thread in 3 years. I guarantee you the VHSL puts a stop to this in the form of.....you can't be a High School Head Coach and an AAU Head Coach at the same time. Especially......in an open enrollment city for God's sake. It's laughable. How laughable? Did you know there is tons of precedence for this issue? Charlotte is an open enrollment city. Did you know the NC High School Athletic Association forbids a Head Coach in Charlotte to be an AAU coach at the same time? My point is....this issue has precedence and it's a matter of time. Watch and see. Why watch and see? COMMON DAM* SENSE would tell any human with one half of a brain, regardless of their absence of a moral compass (common in the US nowadays) that the situation in which the JM Head Coach and their basketball program is in creates an incredible unfair advantage.

VHSL should just have open enrollment for all schools since they can't police these movements.

It will not be terribly long before HS basketball ceases to exist in its present form.

Many players will just play for their travel teams. The only players playing for their HS will be those not talented enough (or wealthy enough) to make the travel circuit.

Most college recruiters go to AAU events instead of HS games anyway.

I’ve been told several times that the only reason this has not happened on a huge scale yet is gym space.

But once schools realize how much they could make from hosting or renting gym space for these events/practices, look out Jack!

It will not be terribly long before HS basketball ceases to exist in its present form.

Many players will just play for their travel teams. The only players playing for their HS will be those not talented enough (or wealthy enough) to make the travel circuit.

Most college recruiters go to AAU events instead of HS games anyway.

I’ve been told several times that the only reason this has not happened on a huge scale yet is gym space.

But once schools realize how much they could make from hosting or renting gym space for these events/practices, look out Jack!
This is what has happened to the Little League program all over the state,the good athletes play AAU and the not so good or the not so rich play in the Little League program.

AAU is not much in the way of baseball. USSSA, Nations, etc kinda run baseball. But I get your gist.

I have to say that Little League is its own worst enemy. But all that is a story for another day...

You know what? To the VHSL... just want you guys to know that since what JM is doing is legal and by the books I am going to start my own AAU team and we are going to go play a LOT of basketball together once this virus passes. I think I will go get all the great young talent around here in Southwest Virginia. I have a lot of connections so I’m sure I can get a job at a certain high school around here. People are going to cry and whine but hey it is going to be legal. Once all the parents move in the district we are going to have all kinds of success and due to the VHSL and their immaculate rulings that JM uses no one can say a word.
If anyone fusses I will just point to JM and all they have done legally. I also challenge all you other high schools in Class 2. If you can go get all the talent you want and move them into your high school area.
The VHSL as you can see has already shown that it’s ok to do so. Doesn’t matter if a PG named Jason Nelson came from Life Christian in the VSCC league or a 6’6 freshman named Dennis Parker transferred in to John Marshall from Manchester. (Not in Richmond limits) and played for Boo Williams before going to Team Loaded and then John Marshall.
Just saying..... this is all legal and good. If it is, I challenge the rest of Virginia to get your super team while you can. White is right. All those players are from Richmond limits...... now. They weren’t before. The two players above are from 30 to 35 minutes away.... and Manchester isn’t a feeder school for JM. If you want to know.
You are correct. JM has a great program. It’s legal and they are great at what they do. Very very very good.
So if it’s good for the golden goose it should be good for the gander. Until the VHSL outlaws it, go get your super teams everyone. Go get em!

You know what? To the VHSL... just want you guys to know that since what JM is doing is legal and by the books I am going to start my own AAU team and we are going to go play a LOT of basketball together once this virus passes. I think I will go get all the great young talent around here in Southwest Virginia. I have a lot of connections so I’m sure I can get a job at a certain high school around here. People are going to cry and whine but hey it is going to be legal. Once all the parents move in the district we are going to have all kinds of success and due to the VHSL and their immaculate rulings that JM uses no one can say a word.
If anyone fusses I will just point to JM and all they have done legally. I also challenge all you other high schools in Class 2. If you can go get all the talent you want and move them into your high school area.
The VHSL as you can see has already shown that it’s ok to do so. Doesn’t matter if a PG named Jason Nelson came from Life Christian in the VSCC league or a 6’6 freshman named Dennis Parker transferred in to John Marshall from Manchester. (Not in Richmond limits) and played for Boo Williams before going to Team Loaded and then John Marshall.
Just saying..... this is all legal and good. If it is, I challenge the rest of Virginia to get your super team while you can. White is right. All those players are from Richmond limits...... now. They weren’t before. The two players above are from 30 to 35 minutes away.... and Manchester isn’t a feeder school for JM. If you want to know.
You are correct. JM has a great program. It’s legal and they are great at what they do. Very very very good.
So if it’s good for the golden goose it should be good for the gander. Until the VHSL outlaws it, go get your super teams everyone. Go get em!

Correction. Ty White is not an AAU coach. He does not coach any team for Team Loaded anymore. He is the Program Director. Jason Nelson transferred from Varina and not LCA. Dennis Parker is the outlier as he went to middle school in Chesterfield County at Manchester. That one does seem funny on the surface but plenty of parents find ways to get their kid to a more favorable high school. The biggest problem with this argument is that you are stating they should not be 2A because of one sport. So they need to play up in boy's basketball but stay 2A in everything else because they aren't winning. Since the reclassification, many Richmond city schools have been more competitive in many sports. The fact that JM can compete with larger schools in boy's basketball does not mean that they need to move up to accommodate the rest of 2A. You can't fault the one outlier. Unless you want to do it for every level.

Correction. Ty White is not an AAU coach. He does not coach any team for Team Loaded anymore. He is the Program Director. Jason Nelson transferred from Varina and not LCA. Dennis Parker is the outlier as he went to middle school in Chesterfield County at Manchester. That one does seem funny on the surface but plenty of parents find ways to get their kid to a more favorable high school. The biggest problem with this argument is that you are stating they should not be 2A because of one sport. So they need to play up in boy's basketball but stay 2A in everything else because they aren't winning. Since the reclassification, many Richmond city schools have been more competitive in many sports. The fact that JM can compete with larger schools in boy's basketball does not mean that they need to move up to accommodate the rest of 2A. You can't fault the one outlier. Unless you want to do it for every level.
I don’t think he is really saying the problem is because JM is 2A. I read it as him having issue with the way the VHSL has basically given them “free roam” to direct talent to one locale.

That’s all that I can read that the GC coach was saying. Yes they were good. No problem with that. All the GC coach was saying is that if all those kids for JM came from the JM area and weren’t drawn there, then hey it’s all good.
Nelson may have come to Varina. He was at Life Christian before Varina. Don’t believe it? Look on MaxPreps for Life Christian during that time. He played there as an 8th grader. He then goes to Varina and then winds up at JM all of a sudden? If you want me to research the other players trust me I can get it done. Roosevelt Wheeler came to Richmond from Georgia through the channels. Kind of weird they go to Georgia to play in a tournament type game against McEachern. Wonder if he had any family in the stands? Would he have played at McEachern had he stayed in Georgia? Just asking valid questions. No sour grapes here.
And White isn’t a coach..... he is the director. I mean dude.... isn’t that worse? He is the director all right. He is directing all the talent inside the Richmond city limits. All I know is that he must tell all those guys that Thomas Jefferson sucks because it’s weird how one school could be so talented and another Richmond “area school” could not even compare and they are 2A as well.
All I’m saying is that if some other 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A or 6A decides to “direct” talent to their school the VHSL better not say Boo to them at all.
If they are going to allow JM to direct talent to their school (and that’s just two examples I listed) then nothing better be said to any other school either.

That’s all that I can read that the GC coach was saying. Yes they were good. No problem with that. All the GC coach was saying is that if all those kids for JM came from the JM area and weren’t drawn there, then hey it’s all good.
Nelson may have come to Varina. He was at Life Christian before Varina. Don’t believe it? Look on MaxPreps for Life Christian during that time. He played there as an 8th grader. He then goes to Varina and then winds up at JM all of a sudden? If you want me to research the other players trust me I can get it done. Roosevelt Wheeler came to Richmond from Georgia through the channels. Kind of weird they go to Georgia to play in a tournament type game against McEachern. Wonder if he had any family in the stands? Would he have played at McEachern had he stayed in Georgia? Just asking valid questions. No sour grapes here.
And White isn’t a coach..... he is the director. I mean dude.... isn’t that worse? He is the director all right. He is directing all the talent inside the Richmond city limits. All I know is that he must tell all those guys that Thomas Jefferson sucks because it’s weird how one school could be so talented and another Richmond “area school” could not even compare and they are 2A as well.
All I’m saying is that if some other 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A or 6A decides to “direct” talent to their school the VHSL better not say Boo to them at all.
If they are going to allow JM to direct talent to their school (and that’s just two examples I listed) then nothing better be said to any other school either.

So really your problem isn't with JM or the VHSL or Team Loaded. From what I gather it is the fact that kids within the Richmond city limits can go to JM because of open enrollment. If not for open enrollment, all that talent would have to be within the JM limits. It has been that way for awhile in the city. All football players use to go to Huguenot and basketball players to George Wythe. After some coaching changes, players gravitated to different places. JM became the basketball spot after they hired Coach White. Other places in VA that have open enrollment probably see the same issue but they are usually not playing in the lower enrollment divisions. An example in NC is they have a huge issue with Charter schools. As a charter in a high population area can gain access to many, many more players than a low population county and they have dominated state championships in 1A basketball especially.

So really your problem isn't with JM or the VHSL or Team Loaded. From what I gather it is the fact that kids within the Richmond city limits can go to JM because of open enrollment. If not for open enrollment, all that talent would have to be within the JM limits. It has been that way for awhile in the city. All football players use to go to Huguenot and basketball players to George Wythe. After some coaching changes, players gravitated to different places. JM became the basketball spot after they hired Coach White. Other places in VA that have open enrollment probably see the same issue but they are usually not playing in the lower enrollment divisions. An example in NC is they have a huge issue with Charter schools. As a charter in a high population area can gain access to many, many more players than a low population county and they have dominated state championships in 1A basketball especially.
This happens in all sports. Even in Girls Tennis. Tennis parents just own properties in 2 different school zones and switch which property is their "residence" based on coaching hires and quality of team.

This happens in all sports. Even in Girls Tennis. Tennis parents just own properties in 2 different school zones and switch which property is their "residence" based on coaching hires and quality of team.
I think there is much more important things at this time to be concerned with.

I think there is much more important things at this time to be concerned with.
I was just pointing out this happens all over, for years. In lots of sports. Don't know why my post was the first out of 68 posts to bother you so.

I was just pointing out this happens all over, for years. In lots of sports. Don't know why my post was the first out of 68 posts to bother you so.[/QUO
I was just pointing out this happens all over, for years. In lots of sports. Don't know why my post was the first out of 68 posts to bother you so.
I'll say it again there are more pressing things to care about.

John Marshall enrollment numbers are really down and will only decrease, they have a large neighborhood where many of the kids attend private school, a neighborhood that has been rezoned to TJ next year and lose many students to henrico county due to Henrico High School being less then a mile away. Get used to them staying at 2A their numbers won’t increase again unless their elementary population chooses to stay in the city.

Ok... everyone read this. GC is in our district and I am going to defend them on this. Anyone in SW Virginia knows that when your numbers go down it may be a long "cycle" before you get a decent talented group again.
John Marshall loses enrollment from 3A to 2A and this person says that they are losing more students. Yet the talent pool gets bigger?? If you live in Southwest Virginia and you are at a school that loses students every year would you like to tell me if your talent pool has expanded any? I am sure that if this happened in Southwest Virginia every school would absolutely love to lose kids every year.
I know a few people from Gate City. I have seen their teams play every year for quite some time. These kids have been playing every year from 7th and 8th grade on at this school. Believe me when I say a lot of the parents take notice of the kids playing on the other team when their own kids are getting their tails kicked.
If someone asks if these kids are homegrown, you would have to say yes. They may get some kids from Kingsport but I highly doubt that they look at 5th graders over in Kingsport and think that they are going to be all stars when they are older. A lot of people who live in Kingsport who send their kids to Gate City are former students at Gate City themselves. I told you I know a lot of people over there and my kids played for Lee. I've seen a lot of these kids play for years and years and they all came from Gate City.
Now myself, again in GC's defense, if Wise Central, Union, John Battle, Ridgeview, Abingdon... I mean especially Abingdon. If an AAU coach to had a travel team became the head coach there at the school and the travel team he had was a mix of a bunch of great players from all over our area and they decided to attend one of these schools... even though the enrollment was dropping....... do you know what hell would be raised around here? The VHSL would be investigating it. High school basketball isn't the NBA and if it is.. then just rename John Marshall High School.... LeBron James High School because the only way they are going to win isn't by putting jerseys on the kids to attend Richmond inside their city limits. The ONLY way they are going to win is by having their AAU coach who has his "Team Loaded" connections on a national level... go out and recruit all the talented players "outside" the city limits of Richmond to move into Richmond so that they all can get "extra playing time together" and play for John Marshall. You know...have to increase that resume for colleges so that they can say on the college bio...

Played for nationally known Team Loaded coach by Ty White
Played for John Marshall High School... won state championship all four years...coached by Ty White
Was Player of the Year all four years for 2A John Marshall...coached by Ty White

How about we just call head coach Ty White... LeBron James. May be a great guy and everything.... just cant win with the players "inside" Richmond. Has to win with a collaboration of players "outside" Richmond.

Jason Nelson from Varina........moves to John Marshall?? Varina which is part of Henrico schools... you have not just Varina but Deep Run, Douglas Freeman, Glen Allen, Mills Godwin, Henrico, Hermitage, Highland Springs (a great basketball program in itself the past few years, and J.R. Tucker. Of all those schools.... he is at Varina... wins a state championship then moves to John Marshall? Sketchy.

Roosevelt Wheeler..... where is he originally from? How did he get to John Marshall?
Wheeler grew up in Atlanta before moving to Hampton. He later moved with his mother, Deborah Davis, from Hampton to Richmond’s North Side prior to last school year. He went directly from Hampton’s Lindsey Middle School to John Marshall High’s state championship varsity a year ago. So he lives in Hampton... is in the school system where he could go to high school at either Bethel, Hampton, Kecoughtan or Phoebus. But... somehow he gets redirected north all the way to Richmond and John Marshall?? Sketchy.

Dennis Parker..... where was he originally going to school? Manchester Middle School. Apart of the Chesterfield County Schools. Feeder school for one of the following: L.C. Bird, Clover Hill, Cosby, Thomas Dale, James River, Manchester, Matoaca, Meadowbrook and Midlothian. And of all those schools...how does he wind up at John Marshall? I think sketchy.

Isaiah Todd ..... Let's just go back a little further. Isaiah Todd was born in Baltimore, Maryland. When Isaiah Todd started playing basketball, at age seven he was over five feet tall and that is where he met his first coach, Derrick Wilson, and began playing on recreational teams and on the AAU circuit. Before eighth grade, Todd moved to Richmond, Virginia so that he could play year-round for his AAU program, Team Loaded. Of which his coach, Ty White, was also the coach at John Marshall. Hmmmm... sketchy.

Now we can go on and on and on. Coach Vermillion of Gate City was just pointing out having an AAU coach as the head coach of a public high school in Virginia walks a fine line. And from this... if you can't see how fine of a line it is then you are blind because it is flat out walk like a duck talk like a duck recruiting.

I promise you that if Ty White resigns as the head coach of John Marshall, John Marshall would not win another state championship much less be in the playoffs ever again. I will lay money on it.

It is funny. So much talent at John Marshall but yet at Thomas Jefferson they don't have squat. That northside of Richmond must be so awesome. Better water, better food. Makes all your kids grow to at least over 6'5. Guaranteed Division 1 scholarships looks at places like Louisville, NC State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Richmond.

There may be some kids going to school at Gate City from Kingsport. Kingsport isn't 35 minutes away, or over 100 miles away like some of the places that these dudes came from.

Oh... and the schools in the Richmond, Virginia school system?

Huguenot High School, Open High School, Richmond Community High School, Armstrong High School, George Wythe High School, Thomas Jefferson High School... and then almighty great John Marshall High School.

I went and watched the state finals last year in Richmond. I was standing at the Siegel Center watching teams warm up. I heard people from John Marshall talking to each other when someone came up from John Marshall and said, "Its a shame we have to play these no talent schools in 2A. Why do we have to play at such an inferior level?" The other person said, "Its because all of the parents in Richmond are moving their kids to the schools outside the public school system to other schools outside Richmond. Thats why our enrollment is dropping."

The enrollment is dropping and the talent pool gets bigger and bigger. Makes total sketchy sense.

Here's to you Ty White. The Magician of Richmond. Of about 10000 students or more in the surrounding Richmond area, you have a team that comes from everywhere. They have to have you as a coach ... and I cant understand why. (This is my sarcasm of course.) I mean how they gonna make that money right? Kids dont come to play for you to be a better player.... they come to you Coach White... to make that money. I mean.. thats what you preach in your videos on youtube.com Yes... we have them downloaded also. I have never heard a high school coach preach to his kids that they work to get better so they can go get that money.

Be a better person, a productive citizen....but go make that money?

So yes... Congratulations to Team Loaded. VHSL 2A State Champions for 2020.

Funny how Roosevelt Wheeler gets injured...is unable to play this year... and now Richmond Public Schools say they aren't to play at all this year.

Team Loaded runs the gauntlet everywhere up there don't they? Can't wait to see where all of your players come from next playa.

JM has roughly 500 or so students, they're categorized as 2A by VHSL not there own choosing. If each kid lives in the city of Richmond and want to play for a team that promotes exposure to college basketball, why not?. I guess we should be mad at a parent who puts there child in private school instead of staying with the kids they "grew up" with...
Only problem I see is that the rest of the state doesn't get to pick where they want to go to school. Not knocking Richmond for doing that. Just wish the rest of the state did the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT