ADVERTISEMENT

George Wythe fan's

Aug 4, 2015
I have been a long time george wythe fan.l played football for for the school from 77 to 80. I bleed maroon and gray. I go to all of the games home or away. Last night I went to glade springs to watch them play. And it was the first time that I have been ashamed to be a george wythe fan. Don't get me wrong. I get fired up about the play calling and the refs just as much as any GW fan out there. I've lost my cool several times. We played a very good PH team last night and the Humphrey kid is one of the best I've ever seen. We have to many coaches in the stands. We are starting to look like and sound like the fans from the schools fans from down 81 north. The GW fans know who I am talking about. Don't want to make anyone mad. But we need to let our coaches and players handle the football game and we need to cheer for them no matter what. Let the kids play the game and let the coaches coach the game.

Reactions: Chilwar25
If and when we post on this site, please realize you are representing your school and your home Town. Roons-ever is right. We should leave the coaching to the coaches, and please no name calling. Have respect for the school and the staff. Please act like an adult. If you can't, stay off the the site and do not post.

Fans bad-mouthing the coaching staff drives me insane anymore. Example from earlier this year: quarterback throws the ball right to a linebacker who has no choice but to intercept the ball as it hits him right in the chest, while no receiver is within 5 yards, prompting an idiot fan tandem beside me start complaining about the coach's decision to throw a pass on 3rd an 11....because obviously it was his fault the QB couldn't execute an out pass (sarcasm)

I understand that there are times when a coach doesn't relate to the kids or makes bad calls, but typically the coaches do a good job mentoring and coaching up their players. They don't do it for the money as it's not a lot, they do it for the kids and because they love the game , they are professionals, just as the kids playing aren'taren't

Fans bad-mouthing the coaching staff drives me insane anymore. Example from earlier this year: quarterback throws the ball right to a linebacker who has no choice but to intercept the ball as it hits him right in the chest, while no receiver is within 5 yards, prompting an idiot fan tandem beside me start complaining about the coach's decision to throw a pass on 3rd an 11....because obviously it was his fault the QB couldn't execute an out pass (sarcasm)

I understand that there are times when a coach doesn't relate to the kids or makes bad calls, but typically the coaches do a good job mentoring and coaching up their players. They don't do it for the money as it's not a lot, they do it for the kids and because they love the game , they are professionals, just as the kids playing aren'taren't

I agree with this. But I have an example of what the 2004-08 staff at PM used to do that will show you an exception to the above: Each and every game those coaches would call a play where the QB (always right handed) would roll out on a sprint to his left. He was then expected to chuck it back across the field to the right. IT NEVER WORKED! NEVER! And they continued to call that play over and over and over...week after week. And it killed more drives and caused more turnovers during that time than I care to remember. Now, yes it would have been nice to have had Aaron Rodgers at QB...but we did not have that! At some point the coaches needed to comprehend that. But they never did.

On the flip side, last year after Altavista spanked our behinds I heard fans complaining about us needing to throw more. But the coaches were wise not to do that because then the score would have been even worse.

Good coaching vs. Bad coaching examples. For real.

I agree with this. But I have an example of what the 2004-08 staff at PM used to do that will show you an exception to the above: Each and every game those coaches would call a play where the QB (always right handed) would roll out on a sprint to his left. He was then expected to chuck it back across the field to the right. IT NEVER WORKED! NEVER! And they continued to call that play over and over and over...week after week. And it killed more drives and caused more turnovers during that time than I care to remember. Now, yes it would have been nice to have had Aaron Rodgers at QB...but we did not have that! At some point the coaches needed to comprehend that. But they never did.

On the flip side, last year after Altavista spanked our behinds I heard fans complaining about us needing to throw more. But the coaches were wise not to do that because then the score would have been even worse.

Good coaching vs. Bad coaching examples. For real.
I can see where that one may warrant some criticism. Idiotic play call lol. I've never understood why some coaches are hell bent on rolling right handed qbs out to the left and having them throw on the run, as that is a difficult throw. The example I was referencing was a qb throwing it to the linebacker between him and the receiver in an awful easy throw... 9 times out of 10 the folks critiquing the staff are so off base, from my experiences

Reactions: dringtuoti and mmqp
Lol, so how about this scenario: In 2007, we were trailing East Mont 26-23 with two minutes to go, no timeouts. We blocked a punt and had the ball 1st & 10 at the 50 yard line. Our QB had thrown for 300 yards on the evening to that point (yes, a PM QB is capable of such things).. So, on first down we ran a straight up QB sneak for 0 yards (no timeouts!). Then, on second down we ran a Triple Reverse which lost 10 yards (no timeouts!!!!!!!). Well, on 3rd down East Mont wisely dropped everyone back in coverage and our QB threw a desperation INT.

The next week, vs. Bath... same score, 26-23. FOUR minutes left and we had all 3 timeouts. Plenty of time for a drive. But we called 4 straight Hail Mary plays from our own 30 LOL.

These "LOL's" are soaked in tears..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT