ADVERTISEMENT

Giles back?

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Saw the score of the Radford game and was wondering if Giles was getting back to what they use to be. I know Radford isn't what they were last year but didn't think they were going to be too bad.

Saw the score of the Radford game and was wondering if Giles was getting back to what they use to be. I know Radford isn't what they were last year but didn't think they were going to be too bad.
Radford showed no running game at all. Giles did what Giles does. 3 and 4 yarded it down the field all night. Giles had 3 backs all over 100 yds on the ground. Radford has a good young quarterback, but he doesn't seem to be a threat to run. Giles pass rush is bad, or Radford's pass protection is awesome. Never got close to putting any pressure on the QB.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Most in Giles will say that it will be a long season again in Giles. By most accounts, Radford is down quite a bit.

They lost to Blacksburg and you think they’re back?

They lost to Blacksburg and you think they’re back?
Giles is 1A school. Blacksburg is a 4A school. Just by a pure numbers standpoint, Giles shouldn't even be expected to schedule a 4A team, let alone beat them 3 or 4 straight years. Any other 1A schools in SW Virginia scheduling any 4A schools?

Giles is 1A school. Blacksburg is a 4A school. Just by a pure numbers standpoint, Giles shouldn't even be expected to schedule a 4A team, let alone beat them 3 or 4 straight years. Any other 1A schools in SW Virginia scheduling any 4A schools?
Just because they’re 4A doesn’t make them good. Giles has won 3 games each of the last two seasons and still beat Blacksburg in those seasons so in a year they lose to them what would make anyone think that they’re "back"?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Just because they’re 4A doesn’t make them good. Giles has won 3 games each of the last two seasons and still beat Blacksburg in those seasons so in a year they lose to them what would make anyone think that they’re "back"?
Blacksburg may be right there with Jamestown as the worst C4 team in the state of Virginia.

The guy was asking is Giles back. I don't see anybody saying "Yes they are". Are they capable of being a decently good 1A team in region C? Judging by everybody's start, I'd say yes to that. Are they back to being a deep playoff threat, year in and year out? That would be a big fat no.

No offense but I don't think BoBob or anyone in the thread has ever implied that Giles was back. BoBob simply asked the question based on the score he saw.

Just because Blacksburg is 4A certainly doesn't make them automatically good, but it does automatically give them the potential to very quickly become good again compared to Class 1 and 2 schools based on sheer numbers in the school. The proof to that? Blacksburg won a state title and flirted with another within the last 7 or so years. What can become quickly very bad can also quickly become very good.

Their score against Radford is more indicative of Radford being nowhere near as good as last year especially after losing in week one to GW than Giles being back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT