ADVERTISEMENT

Giles looking to drop to 1A

Well that will add a little competition to 1A, especially now that Galax lost their head coach. It's still Riverheads kingdom though.

Well that will add a little competition to 1A, especially now that Galax lost their head coach. It's still Riverheads kingdom though.
Riverheads floats around that cutoff every year, maybe they move up?

The 475 cutoff? Nah, they're saying their enrollment is around 450 now. The 400 would knock them and most of the other true competition in 1A up to 2A. But if the cutoff is going to be the proposed 375 that would pretty much knock all the top teams (minus Sussex and Galax(?)) out of 1A.

The 475 cutoff? Nah, they're saying their enrollment is around 450 now. The 400 would knock them and most of the other true competition in 1A up to 2A. But if the cutoff is going to be the proposed 375 that would pretty much knock all the top teams (minus Sussex and Galax(?)) out of 1A.
I could be wrong, but I believe that 375 is grades 9-11.

Reactions: EPJr and mmqp
I could be wrong, but I believe that 375 is grades 9-11.

You're right. I misread that. So basically it's not really going to be much different than it is right now then. Crazy to think Giles is on the verge of having to move down! Will definitely keep things interesting in 1A.

Using the ADM of 375, grades 9-11, averages out to 125 per class. Currently with the ADM of 475, that average is 118 per class. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, until you realize that equates to increasing the cutoff in the current setup to 500, instead of 475. There will be at least six current 2A schools drop to 1A, regardless of whether the proposed plan to reclassify passes or not. If you look at the schools that have been contenders in the region/state playoffs since the current six class system, it is obvious that the former single A division 2 schools were rewarded with this system. Those 2A schools that are dropping will also be rewarded with the changes in the ADM.

LCA will be hard to beat if they move down to Class 2. Especially Baseball. The battles between Appomattox and LCA in the playoffs for football would be epic to see.

What does that mean?
Maggie Walker is a regional magnet school that pulls students from the cities of Richmond, petersburg and west point and the counties of chesterfield, henrico, hanover, goochland, powhatan, prince george, charles city, new kent and king and queen. They were in 2A for awhile but, their enrollment has increased some by bringing in more students and they are now 3A.

Maggie Walker is a regional magnet school that pulls students from the cities of Richmond, petersburg and west point and the counties of chesterfield, henrico, hanover, goochland, powhatan, prince george, charles city, new kent and king and queen. They were in 2A for awhile but, their enrollment has increased some by bringing in more students and they are now 3A.
Thanks for the info!

And they were dominate in certain sports like soccer, track, and swimming I think.

And they were dominate in certain sports like soccer, track, and swimming I think.

Tennis as well. A couple of years ago, Eastside (Class 1 school here in SWVA) players, students and parents took to social media to blast the VHSL when they had to face MW in the state finals.

Maggie Walker isn’t competitive in basketball and doesn’t have football but your comparison is spot on.

and Volleyball.
if VHSL goes to the 4 Class model
it will be deja vu

With LCA they won’t want to drop to 2A bc not all sports they offer are offered at the 2A level

the Petersburg area have their own magnet school : Appomattox Regional Governor's School.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT