ADVERTISEMENT

Gilliam Ratings

Daboyz19

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 30, 2013
I noticed a bias in Gilliam Ratings from east/west to north/south which could be true. Do you give extra points based on region?

That's a curious question! Matt's formula incorporates a lot of factors. But none are subjective. They are mathematical. Pure and simple.

Also curious, which way do you see the bias? Not criticizing, your question, just wondering what you are seeing.

East and South are probably stronger schools overall I was just wondering if he used that in his ratings. I'm from the NW and I've noticed football in the area isn't what it once was. We do have more kids going D1 than we use to but I don't think the teams are near as strong as they once were.

No, there's no accounting for that, but due to the way the system works, if a region does become stronger it will eventually start to show in the ratings. I have noticed the same thing you noticed. I wouldn't term it "bias," as a statistics teacher "bias" usually indicates to me some flaw that's giving false results. I would hope that maybe it's reflective of a real difference, and not a flaw. Also, sometimes it can appear that way, but one region just has a wider range of ratings than another, so the region has more of the top teams AND more of the bottom teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT