ADVERTISEMENT

Girls 2A Championship: Luray 61 Gate City 56 Final

Luray wins the state title on GCs floor. They led most of THe game, GC fought back and took a lead but in the fourth, Luray made huge shots and created turnovers. Even after Weekly fouled out, Luray was better. More stable, more consistent, hit their open looks

Congrats to those girls, they've won a Bunch a games in last two years, they earned this. Ends the M7s run of eight straight titles.

The M7 stranglehold on the girls 2A championship is over. I was wrong and @pizzzzza was correct. Good call buddy. Congratulations to the Lady Dawgs.

Those are two quality teams going at it for a second straight year!

Is there a possible 3rd straight next year?
(although it might not be in the championship game)

On a side note - I feel bad that all the kids playing in the state tournament didn’t get to enjoy a normal tournament atmosphere with all the fans and all that comes with it - Covid sucks!

I did not have a dog in this fight but wow ! what a gutsy and improbable comeback by the Lady Bulldogs. Gate City had all the momentum on their side and when Weakley fouled out with three minutes left, you might have thought that would allow GC to pull away to an easy win. But Luray did not panic and two keys steals in the final minute (I think both by Burrill) made the difference in the win. Great job ladies!

A great and hard fought game that was fun to watch. Congrats to the Bulldogs who are now state champions. When GC took that lead, I thought it was all but over. It just felt like GC was finally in gear and was going to put their feet down and step on the gas and pull away. Those girls from Luray were the ones who stepped on the gas at the end and they had to have been strong mentally to overcome what had to be in the back of their heads from last year. They came back, and put last year behind them, and they floored it in the second part of the 4th qtr. Congrats Lady Bulldogs, State Champions!

Those are two quality teams going at it for a second straight year!

Is there a possible 3rd straight next year?
(although it might not be in the championship game)

On a side note - I feel bad that all the kids playing in the state tournament didn’t get to enjoy a normal tournament atmosphere with all the fans and all that comes with it - Covid sucks!

Gate City loses Sarah Thompson, which is a huge loss for them. If I had to put money on it, I think you'll see Wise Central back in this spot next year, so probably Wise Central and Luray if I was a betting man.

Gate City loses Sarah Thompson, which is a huge loss for them. If I had to put money on it, I think you'll see Wise Central back in this spot next year, so probably Wise Central and Luray if I was a betting man.

I just hope and pray things will be “back to normal “ this time next year, if not sooner - and that all the teams are able to compete!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT