ADVERTISEMENT

Give a Top 10 and 3 HR

I have no clue really, but I will give it a shot.

1. Salem (undefeated)
2. Monacan (2 losses)
3. Dinwiddie (1/2 losses)
4. Lafayette (undefeated)
5. Lake Taylor (1 loss)
6. Woodgrove (2 losses)
7. Sherando (1 loss)
8. Louisa (undefeated/1 loss)
9. Eastern View (undefeated)
10. Blacksburg (1/2 losses)

HM: West -William Byrd, GW Danville, Charlottesville, Millbrook

HM: East -Kings Fork, Smithfield, Courtland,

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
1.Dinwiddie (Undefeated)
2. Monacan(Undefeated/1 loss)
3. Salem (1/2 losses)
4. LT (1/2 losses)
5. Sherando (1/2 losses)
6. Woodgrove (2 losses)
7. JF (1/2 losses)
8. Courtland (1/2 losses)
9. Lafeyette (undefeated)
10. GW Danville (1/2 losses)

HM: Louisa, Milbrook, King's Fork, Smithfield, EV, LV, Amherst

Good list DSH. Just a few comments/points of debate to get the juices going.

1. You know I am high on Monacan, but I dont see them beating both Manchester and Bird in the same season to go undefeated. May win one though.

2. I see you have Lafayette rated in the bottom tier. I realize they lost a few key playmakers, but the Rams will be a contender and with exception of Smithfield and Grafton they will not be challenged.

3. I realize and respect the tradition of the Courtland program, but I just dont see them going from an 8 seed in the east last season to a top ten team in the state. Last year they couldnt throw the ball a lick and their running plays took too long to develop. The quicker defenses in the state will give them fits.

4. You must have some inside info on Louisa, because they still have their playmakers and a stud linebacker to anchor the defense. In my opinion Charlottesville, Orange, and Courtland (?? see above) stand in their way of an undefeated season.

5. Last, but not least you are asking a lot of my Generals. Getting away wins at Salem, Thomas Dale, Meadowbrook, Hopewell and Matoaca?????

1 Dinwiddie undefeated
2 Woodgrove 1 loss
3 Lake Taylor 1 loss
4 Monacan 2 losses
5 Sherando 1 loss
6 Jefferson Forest 1 loss
7 Lafayette 1 loss
8 Kings Fork 2 losses
9 Blacksburg 1 loss
10 GW Danville 1 loss

HM Salem, Courtland, Millbrook

Awesome post Free. Salem an honorable mention. Freaking hilarious. Undefeated JV for years, two straight championships and the return of Ramsey. To quote the late and great Donna Summer "who do you think your foolin"!

Dinwiddie (undefeated or 1 loss)
Lake Taylor (1 loss)
Salem 1-2 losses
Monacan 1 loss
Laf undefeated
JF 1-2 losses
Blacksburg 1-2 losses
GW Daniville 1-2 losses
Sherando 1 loss
Woodgrove 1-2 losses
Cville / Louisa (7-3 both)

After hearing DSH talk about JF I think I like the kool-aid.

@freeatlast2013 way to go wit KingsFork. I think they are a player just not in my top 10 yet.

Internal struggles.
I appreciate the honesty, but Mags will get the Spartans on the same page. Not sure the return of Ramsey is in the best interest of the team harmony, but he is a very good player. Salem has proved they can win without him, so I will let the Spartan fans bebate this in private.

Good list DSH. Just a few comments/points of debate to get the juices going.

1. You know I am high on Monacan, but I dont see them beating both Manchester and Bird in the same season to go undefeated. May win one though.

2. I see you have Lafayette rated in the bottom tier. I realize they lost a few key playmakers, but the Rams will be a contender and with exception of Smithfield and Grafton they will not be challenged.

3. I realize and respect the tradition of the Courtland program, but I just dont see them going from an 8 seed in the east last season to a top ten team in the state. Last year they couldnt throw the ball a lick and their running plays took too long to develop. The quicker defenses in the state will give them fits.

4. You must have some inside info on Louisa, because they still have their playmakers and a stud linebacker to anchor the defense. In my opinion Charlottesville, Orange, and Courtland (?? see above) stand in their way of an undefeated season.

5. Last, but not least you are asking a lot of my Generals. Getting away wins at Salem, Thomas Dale, Meadowbrook, Hopewell and Matoaca?????
I agree with you BN. With respect to Bird and Highland Springs, I will go on record and say that I think Dinwiddie will be the 3rd best team in the 804 behind Herm and Manchester. Little Pope at QB will add a dynamic to an already talented offense. He, his brother who will more than likely be the 4a state player of the year, Sturdivant, Tyree, Josiah Williams.. Do I need to name more? Star power all over the field. Monacan will be elite and yessir you are completely right..Manchester and Bird will present them major challenges. I think the Chiefs will win at least 1 of those, but both are possible. Fludd and Clark over at Manchester are the best QB in the Richmond metro area IMO.. Courtland has it tough with Louisa and JM but I don't see Hall and company staying down too long. Lafeyette has the same disease GW Danville has.. Good teams but the schedule is too weak and they are not prepared to compete with the upper echelon teams.

I agree with you BN. With respect to Bird and Highland Springs, I will go on record and say that I think Dinwiddie will be the 3rd best team in the 804 behind Herm and Manchester. Little Pope at QB will add a dynamic to an already talented offense. He, his brother who will more than likely be the 4a state player of the year, Sturdivant, Tyree, Josiah Williams.. Do I need to name more? Star power all over the field. Monacan will be elite and yessir you are completely right..Manchester and Bird will present them major challenges. I think the Chiefs will win at least 1 of those, but both are possible. Fludd and Clark over at Manchester are the best QB in the Richmond metro area IMO.. Courtland has it tough with Louisa and JM but I don't see Hall and company staying down too long. Lafeyette has the same disease GW Danville has.. Good teams but the schedule is too weak and they are not prepared to compete with the upper echelon teams.

Dinwiddie will be my preseason number 1 in 4a. They have got a lot returning. I don't know if I am ready to put them over Bird and def not Highland Springs but they are going to be a force again. All depends on how balanced that offense is and how Pope the qb does.
As for Monacan I agree with you DHS. Undefeated season is not out of the question but neither is 8-2. I think they beat one though. BTW the last time Monacan beat Bird was my team in 98. We beat them 54-7 I think. Snelling that plays for Atlanta was on that team and so was his older brother. Spanked um!
I think Lafayette might scramble a game or 2 in the reg season but they probably will eak out another undefeated season and be a contender again in the post season. I would put Woodgrove and Sherando higher I just don't know the teams they play to get a good educated opinion.

Dinwiddie will be my preseason number 1 in 4a. They have got a lot returning. I don't know if I am ready to put them over Bird and def not Highland Springs but they are going to be a force again. All depends on how balanced that offense is and how Pope the qb does.
As for Monacan I agree with you DHS. Undefeated season is not out of the question but neither is 8-2. I think they beat one though. BTW the last time Monacan beat Bird was my team in 98. We beat them 54-7 I think. Snelling that plays for Atlanta was on that team and so was his older brother. Spanked um!
I think Lafayette might scramble a game or 2 in the reg season but they probably will eak out another undefeated season and be a contender again in the post season. I would put Woodgrove and Sherando higher I just don't know the teams they play to get a good educated opinion.
You play for Coach Joel Hughes? I worked with him at Chesterfield Juvenile Detention, he was their PE teacher over there. I believe he coached at Monacan that year.

You play for Coach Joel Hughes? I worked with him at Chesterfield Juvenile Detention, he was their PE teacher over there. I love that dude to death! I believe he coached at Monacan that year.

Our head coach was Keith Daniels and our OC was Danny Parsons who is now the AD after stepping down from coaching to hire Henderson.

1998, darn, you guys (Dsh and mbonape1) are young, but have very knowleable sports minds. Enjoy debating things with both of you. We have to hook up for the Monacan vs. Manchester game.

After starting with Armstrong (wow) Woodgrove has three tough games against 5a opponents (Massaponax, Broad Run, and Tuscarora). See at least one loss in the bunch and maybe two.

Sherando plays Martinsburg, WV and they are supposedly loaded. I know they won the 7-7 tournament in Richmond. If Sherando's defense matures quickly the should have no more than 1 loss. Middlebrook and Liberty Bealton will also be tough test.

Does anyone have a good read on Dominion or are they going to be a one hit wonder?

IMO whoever comes out between Monacan and Dinwiddie will reach Williamsburg. The West is wide open IMO. Yes, Salem will be favorited but there are a lot of distractions going on on that end. You should never count out Sparty but if there's a year to knock them off, it's this year.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I appreciate the honesty, but Mags will get the Spartans on the same page. Not sure the return of Ramsey is in the best interest of the team harmony, but he is a very good player. Salem has proved they can win without him, so I will let the Spartan fans bebate this in private.
I agree Magenbauer always has Salem near the top, no matter how many players he loses

1998, darn, you guys (Dsh and mbonape1) are young, but have very knowleable sports minds. Enjoy debating things with both of you. We have to hook up for the Monacan vs. Manchester game.

After starting with Armstrong (wow) Woodgrove has three tough games against 5a opponents (Massaponax, Broad Run, and Tuscarora). See at least one loss in the bunch and maybe two.

Sherando plays Martinsburg, WV and they are supposedly loaded. I know they won the 7-7 tournament in Richmond. If Sherando's defense matures quickly the should have no more than 1 loss. Middlebrook and Liberty Bealton will also be tough test.

Does anyone have a good read on Dominion or are they going to be a one hit wonder?
They look to be in the same predicament as Amherst. Lost a ton of skill guys (Vashon McCants especially), but return much of their o and d lines. Hard to read a team like that. @one man would definitely know having played them last year and having seen their JV team.

IMO whoever comes out between Monacan and Dinwiddie will reach Williamsburg. The West is wide open IMO. Yes, Salem will be favorited but there are a lot of distractions going on on that end. You should never count out Sparty but if there's a year to knock them off, it's this year.
Don't be fooled by the smoke screen DSH. look at some of the subtle Salem faithful posts. Some say theres a problem and some deny it. No need to assume anything. Best to let them hash it out amongst one another. I never will count them out. They thrive on being discounted/underdogs. Just like I said about LT owning the east. Until someone knocks them off they are still king of the hill.

The deal with Salem this coming year is a little unusual. They will have a brand new qb. and there are questions concerning the return of two players that could have huge impact. If things fall in place Salem could make another state run, but if things don't quite work out Salem will be 7-3, 8-2 in the regular season and then one and done in the playoffs. But never, never, never count out the Spartans

A martinsburg west va team is that good huh? I need to see if I can find them on youtube. I am assuming sherando and Woodgrove are near WVA then?

Yeah, they beat both of Highland Springs teams and won the whole thing. Check them out on twitter (Martinsburg Football).

The deal with Salem this coming year is a little unusual. They will have a brand new qb. and there are questions concerning the return of two players that could have huge impact. If things fall in place Salem could make another state run, but if things don't quite work out Salem will be 7-3, 8-2 in the regular season and then one and done in the playoffs. But never, never, never count out the Spartans
Thanks Southbottom. Have heard some rumors, but I am not going to be part of spreading untruths or speculative information. I dont think anyone is counting the Spartans out. One would be a fool to do so.

A martinsburg west va team is that good huh? I need to see if I can find them on youtube. I am assuming sherando and Woodgrove are near WVA then?

Martinsburg has been to 9 finals and 11 semifinals in the past 16 years, and they've won five state championships since 2010. They return almost all of their stars and outscored opponents 203-7 in the playoffs last year. It's unlikely that anyone in WV stays within 40 of them this year.

Sherando is about a 30 minute drive down the road from Martinsburg. The Warriors will be big underdogs against them, but they've had close games in the past when the skill on either side of the field was lopsided, so you never know.

Martinsburg has been to 9 finals and 11 semifinals in the past 16 years, and they've won five state championships since 2010. They return almost all of their stars and outscored opponents 203-7 in the playoffs last year. It's unlikely that anyone in WV stays within 40 of them this year.

Sherando is about a 30 minute drive down the road from Martinsburg. The Warriors will be big underdogs against them, but they've had close games in the past when the skill on either side of the field was lopsided, so you never know.

@Shruikan thanks for the education. Bizaare to think that a team from WV would be that good. However, it is what it is! Kudos to those guys, but i'll be rooting for my Va folks at Sherando when its game day!

Ramsey asked to come back, not the reverse. Been humble since he came back. He saw what the deal was last year and learned a hard lesson. Seems to have taken it to heart thus far.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
I don't think we will know about Salem until after the scrimmages. They will be good up front on both sides of the ball. They will have great receivers (one experienced game breaker), and a good defensive backfield. The questions will have to be answered at quarterback , middle linebacker, and running back. Salem will also have a great kicking game

Awesome post Free. Salem an honorable mention. Freaking hilarious. Undefeated JV for years, two straight championships and the return of Ramsey. To quote the late and great Donna Summer "who do you think your foolin"!
Navy That was not my intention at all. The fact is when a team has been very good for a couple of years then the time may be for a slight letdown , especially when quarterback change is imminent. That probably happened to Lake Taylor last year. Do we have some pieces? Yes. That being said 4A is very tough and it takes dedication , luck and a lot of discipline just to get there.

I get it boss. Was just trying to have some fun at your expense. I honestly don't think Salem will see a big drop off if any. Tons of schools with new quarterbacks including my beloved Generals. If the Spartans have a down year it will surprise everyone who is not close to the program. Still think some of the Salem faithful may be crying wolf way too early. Gotta believe!

Is no one believing Bburg will make any noise? They return most of the roster this season.
I think everyone knows Blacksburg has some talented skill players and believe they have a good shot at the playoffs; however, I don't know how many of the 4a faithful believe Blacksburg will make a deep run in the playoffs.

I for one like their offensive scheme and Beck is a jet. Yes, they won a 3a state championship by beating a good, but virtually one dimensional Staunton River team and surely opened some eyes. My main concern is their interior line play. They have a sound regular season schedule which should prepare them for the playoffs, but will they hold up against teams with more size and strength come playoff time?. I am not saying they can't, but after watching them in Williamsburg I am not convinced they can physically handle the traditionally sound 4a west teams (Salem, Sherando, etc.).

I wish the Bruins the best. Guess we will see in November.

51-14 is the final score of that one in 1998... Not only was Keith Daniels still the coach at the time but Paquette was the coach at Bird.

Monacan has just four wins against LC Bird all-time. 3 of those wins came in a row from 1988 to 1990.

If there is a year for it to happen this would be the year. Still a lot of talent at Bird but with the loss of some key guys on defense along with a new coach, this might be the year to get them.

2003 was the closest the Chiefs have come to beating Bird since 1998... You might recall that Chiefs team lost by just one point to the Skyhawks.

I get it boss. Was just trying to have some fun at your expense. I honestly don't think Salem will see a big drop off if any. Tons of schools with new quarterbacks including my beloved Generals. If the Spartans have a down year it will surprise everyone who is not close to the program. Still think some of the Salem faithful may be crying wolf way too early. Gotta believe!

Following the departure of quarterback Noah Beckley, the Spartans will be faced with trying to replace a player who I have come to believe is probably the school's best-ever at that position, considering all the aspects of passing, running, and intangibles such as leadership and game management. Some degree of drop-off, perhaps substantial, is inevitable.

I don't remember an off-season for Salem so filled with rumors and hearsay, much of it involving the Ramsey situation, which is all somewhat bizarre. Frankly, I don't know what to expect from the Spartans on the field, and I'm afraid I might still be saying that in November. Perhaps other Salem followers feel the same way, and that might be the source of the uncertainty/bet hedging you've tuned into.

Last edited:
51-14 is the final score of that one in 1998... Not only was Keith Daniels still the coach at the time but Paquette was the coach at Bird.

Monacan has just four wins against LC Bird all-time. 3 of those wins came in a row from 1988 to 1990.

If there is a year for it to happen this would be the year. Still a lot of talent at Bird but with the loss of some key guys on defense along with a new coach, this might be the year to get them.

2003 was the closest the Chiefs have come to beating Bird since 1998... You might recall that Chiefs team lost by just one point to the Skyhawks.

But they didn't score until it was garbage time and we were out of the game by mid 3rd quarter lol. They beat us the year before with Myrell Robinson. He was in the league too. 250lb tailback! High school football must be real fun when you are that big! When Monacan lost to Bird in 2003 on a .... wait for it... Blocked field goal attempt ran back for a td to win by 1 point! I was at that game! 9-1 and didn't even make the playoffs in Richmond 5A. Have to win your district, thats the only way you got in.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Nicely said Spartan of Yore. I can't speak for everyone, but I really want the Spartans on top of their game the third week of September.

I don't know if we can beat the Spartans at home, but I certainly want to see a great game like the 2016 state championship. Hopefully, Navy Nation will make the drive and create a fun atmoshere. I know DP is already scouting out hotels.

I realize good programs go through an occasional rough spot, but I expect the Spartans to rally around Mags and perform as they always do.

But they didn't score until it was garbage time and we were out of the game by mid 3rd quarter lol. They beat us the year before with Myrell Robinson. He was in the league too. 250lb tailback! High school football must be real fun when you are that big! When Monacan lost to Bird in 2003 on a .... wait for it... Blocked field goal attempt ran back for a td to win by 1 point! I was at that game! 9-1 and didn't even make the playoffs in Richmond 5A. Have to win your district, thats the only way you got in.

That Monacan team in 2003 was one of many 9-1 teams that failed to make the playoffs. Funny how it has all changed in a short time, now you have those teams making the playoffs along with teams with losing records on a regular basis. Of course some of that I think will change on how many teams are allowed to make the playoffs under the new region structures.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Just to start a little controversy; I see E.C. Glass being a little better than Blacksburg. They didn't win a state championship last year, heck they didn't even make the playoffs, but they return just as much firepower as Blacksburg and they have a bonafide champion leading them . Could very well sneak into the top 10 before it's all said and done and win a couple of games come playoff time.

Reactions: lyhsports
Just to start a little controversy; I see E.C. Glass being a little better than Blacksburg. They didn't win a state championship last year, heck they didn't even make the playoffs, but they return just as much firepower as Blacksburg and they have a bonafide champion leading them . Could very well sneak into the top 10 before it's all said and done and win a couple of games come playoff time.

DSH... Do you mean top 10 in the western half of the state or are you talking top 10 statewide in the 5A ranks?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT