ADVERTISEMENT

Give a Top 10 and 3 HR

DSH... Do you mean top 10 in the western half of the state or are you talking top 10 statewide in the 5A ranks?
I was just comparing them to Blacksburg. Glass could very well sneak into the top 10 of the state only if they were to beat Charlottesville and/or Heritage and of course beat Franklin and Halifax and have a solid outing in the Seminole. Is that realistic? Right now, no. Western top 10 sounds a lot better for both Blacksburg and Glass. Glass was very young last year and a 7-3 record looks about right for them for this year. IMO a 7-3 Glass record would scare me a whole heck of a lot more than an 9-1/8-2 Blacksburg record. I've been said that Blacksburg is still operated to succeed for 3a ball. Playing Giles and Richlands just isn't equivalent to playing a Charlottesville or a JF or Heritage.

Just to start a little controversy; I see E.C. Glass being a little better than Blacksburg. They didn't win a state championship last year, heck they didn't even make the playoffs, but they return just as much firepower as Blacksburg and they have a bonafide champion leading them . Could very well sneak into the top 10 before it's all said and done and win a couple of games come playoff time.
That's crazy talk. There were 2 common opponents last season in Heritage and Brookville. Glass was outscored in those 59-9 and lost both, while Bburg won and outscored both 87-52. Blacksburg returns just about everyone.

Just to start a little controversy; I see E.C. Glass being a little better than Blacksburg. They didn't win a state championship last year, heck they didn't even make the playoffs, but they return just as much firepower as Blacksburg and they have a bonafide champion leading them . Could very well sneak into the top 10 before it's all said and done and win a couple of games come playoff time.

I like it! I never saw it like this. I have seen both teams play last year. I saw 4 Glass games and one Blacksburg game against Heritage in the playoffs. I'm not sure how many Seniors Blacksburg lost, but I know Glass probably only lost about 2 main contributors to the team.

This will be the best Senior class that EC Glass has seen in years! A good amount of the Senior starters were sophomore varsity starters in Coach Woody's first year.This will be the first year that the best players on the team will be experienced senior leaders. They were there for the 1-9 season. They were juniors last season in which they went 6-4 but missed the playoffs. They know what it takes to win now. They are hungry for the playoffs.

On offense, there might be about 6 Senior starters. One on the offensive line, probably all 4 receivers and the running back. They are still very young on the offensive line and at quarterback.On defense I think all four linebackers, 3 DB's and maybe 1 defensive lineman will be senior starters. So more senior experience on defense than on offense. But the team is still young with good athletes behind the senior leadership.

Also you have to take into account the players who are back on the team after not being allowed to play last year after not meeting the accountability requirements. I've seen a few of them at 7 on 7's and they played pretty well.

When I saw Blacksburg the offensive lines opened up huge holes for Beck and we all know that if you give Beck space, he is gone! And to be honest, the best running back in the Blacksburg vs Heritage game was on the other team(I'll save that debate for later). Also Tiquest Terry is a game changer. I think the quarterback is young too. As long as Blacksburg keeps that offensive line intact, I think they will make some noise in 4A.

Both teams will bring a lot to 4A this season.

That's crazy talk. There were 2 common opponents last season in Heritage and Brookville. Glass was outscored in those 59-9 and lost both, while Bburg won and outscored both 87-52. Blacksburg returns just about everyone.

I understand that. Those are the 2 teams that EC Glass has not shown up to play in the past couple of years.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I like it! I never saw it like this. I have seen both teams play last year. I saw 4 Glass games and one Blacksburg game against Heritage in the playoffs. I'm not sure how many Seniors Blacksburg lost, but I know Glass probably only lost about 2 main contributors to the team.

This will be the best Senior class that EC Glass has seen in years! A good amount of the Senior starters were sophomore varsity starters in Coach Woody's first year.This will be the first year that the best players on the team will be experienced senior leaders. They were there for the 1-9 season. They were juniors last season in which they went 6-4 but missed the playoffs. They know what it takes to win now. They are hungry for the playoffs.

On offense, there might be about 6 Senior starters. One on the offensive line, probably all 4 receivers and the running back. They are still very young on the offensive line and at quarterback.On defense I think all four linebackers, 3 DB's and maybe 1 defensive lineman will be senior starters. So more senior experience on defense than on offense. But the team is still young with good athletes behind the senior leadership.

Also you have to take into account the players who are back on the team after not being allowed to play last year after not meeting the accountability requirements. I've seen a few of them at 7 on 7's and they played pretty well.

When I saw Blacksburg the offensive lines opened up huge holes for Beck and we all know that if you give Beck space, he is gone! And to be honest, the best running back in the Blacksburg vs Heritage game was on the other team(I'll save that debate for later). Also Tiquest Terry is a game changer. I think the quarterback is young too. As long as Blacksburg keeps that offensive line intact, I think they will make some noise in 4A.

E.C. Glass is not 4A correct?

When you say return as much firepower as Bburg that's where you lose all credibility. Bburg returns every skill player, and 2 of those players have multiple high level ACC D1 offers. Not trying to say Glass won't be good, but to say they have the same firepower and will be better than Bburg is just not realistic.

When you say return as much firepower as Bburg that's where you lose all credibility. Bburg returns every skill player, and 2 of those players have multiple high level ACC D1 offers. Not trying to say Glass won't be good, but to say they have the same firepower and will be better than Bburg is just not realistic.

I understand that also, but if The EC Glass program was where Blacksburg was in 3A, Glass would have guys with D1 offers. Now that Glass has started to win, they will be recruited. If it wasn't for Blacksburg's impressive late season run. I doubt those players would be getting the offers they are getting now. But good for them. I've seen both play, and the talent is there for BOTH teams.

Not to be a sour grape, but after Beck and Terry, what star power do they have exactly? I can think of quite of few teams in the region who have more or just as much firepower as Blacksburg. 1. Salem ...Tie 2 Charlottesville (speed for days; 4-5 players are threats for big plays) GW (3-4 guys who will give D-coordinators grey hairs and the o and d lines are better), 3. JF (by committee) and Glass (lyhsports has it on the head. I repeat, Thomas Patterson may be the best 2 way player in the region..). I haven't even touched Dinwiddie, Sherando, Louisa... GW had 5 D1 skill players a few years ago.. Didn't necessarily work too well against the talent of 4a. Courtland too.

Last edited:
1. Salem
2. Lake Taylor
3. Dinwiddie
4. Monocan
5. Sherando
6. Blacksburg
7. Woodgrove
8. Amherst
9. Lafayette
10. Louisa

Honorable Mentions: Charlottesville , JF, and Dominion

Most if my picks are just speculation. I struggled with Dinwiddie/Lake Taylor. I chose Lake Taylor to be rated higher because their QB is an experienced senior.
As for the rumors and such about Salem, there is no need to be anxious or worry. You see the thing about Salem is they could lose a great starter and the next man up will take their place and rise to the occasion. Salem tends to be deep in many positions with the 2nd string player just as talented as the first. I'm interested to see who will be playing LB.

Salem's new QB will be fine. He'll have lots of weapons to go to, he just needs to be accurate. I'll repeat what I truly believe, one or two players do not make a team. It's everyone being committed to the process and contributing to the group effort that makes a team great. It's discipline, heart, and will power. Yes, skill has its role, but you'll never be successful relying on the pure skill of a few. That's why there's 11 on the field at a time. Everyone must fulfill their role.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamspear
I would like to go back to LCA for a minute.

I just have to believe that LCA will be improved this year. I know that they take a big step up in competition, but I see that as one of the reasons for improvement. Their record may not reflect improvement, (this year), but I believe they will play "up" to their competition. Which leads me to other reasons to believe they will be better. Top quality coaching, top quality facilities, and the resources to avail themselves to any and all coaching clinics, camps, leadership training, etc. There is very little that stands in the way of LCA developing a "program". "Programs" develop available talent. That is a big part of why successful teams stay consistent winners.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of LCA even being a member of the VHSL. I just try to look at the reality of the situation, and leave my emotions out of my assessment.

I would place a healthy wager that Eastern View finishes higher than Louisa, Charlottesville, and Sherando.

Who all does Eastern View have coming back? The game last year between Sherando and them came down to the wire, and this year's Sherando team should be significantly improved over what they were then. They have a far easier schedule combined with returning much of their offense.

I didn't get to see the game last year so unfortunately I don't have a game roster on hand (I often keep them as souvenirs).

I would place a healthy wager that Eastern View finishes higher than Louisa, Charlottesville, and Sherando.

Very possible I know they return the QB, and how healthy is that stud running back after he tore that muscle real bad last year? I still have questions about EV , very good team, but they will have to be a lot better since they only won by a touchdown against basically a JV Sherando team last year. Louisa returns a huge amount, but I am not convinced they can and want to throw ball very well. Charlottesville , only saw them play Woodgrove, can't really say I know a whole lot about them.

Last edited:
I'm not drinking that koolaide. (However the hell you spell koolaide).

"finishes higher"? That's open for interpretation. Finish higher in power points? Finish higher in their district compared to the others. Finish with a better record!

If EV finishes worse that 9-1, they will be a disappointment. Maybe I'll hedge just a little and say 8-2. But truthfully, they should be 10-0, with JM being the biggest hurdle.

Having said all of that, you have to look at the overall level of the competition these four teams face. In my opinion, Any of the three "finish higher" at 8-2 or 9-1 that a 10-0 EV.

I'm not bashing EV at all. Not even my point. It's a similar argument that we discuss all the time about Lafayette. Lafayette can finish 9-1 and it's considered a disappointing season. And they can't do anything about it. Their district is historically weak, and they only get one OOD game.

So EV "finishing higher" is too subjective. The real question is how deep will they go in the playoffs?

You know I love you 86Culp, so don't be mad at me please.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I have a different opinion, kids ( not all) that have everything handed to them , and have the easy road to success, don't always have the heart that it takes to make it. I feel like LCA is the kids with the nice uniforms but don't deserve them. How many 5 the year seniors playing

Very possible I know they return the QB, and how healthy is that stud running back after he tore that muscle real bad last year? I still have questions about EV , very good team, but they will have to be a lot better since they only won by a touchdown against basically a JV Sherando team last year. Louisa returns a huge amount, but I am not convinced they can and want to throw ball very well. Charlottesville , only saw them play Woodgrove, can't really say I know a whole lot about them.
QB from last year is gone....but many believe the QB that played JV last year is better. Backfield and receivers will be very good as always.....watch for D'Ago Hunter to have a tremendous season. The question again will come down to making defensive stops when it comes time to play the elite teams.

I have to share your concerns Hammy. It's a privileged school. Nobody can argue that. Can they mold the stero-typical private school kids into a tough enough bunch to compete successfully with top tier teams?

Maybe Mike can look at their roster and see if they have any "re-classified" senior's left? But honestly, I don't think it makes any difference. I don't think they had any studs identified in time to re-class them before they became a VHSL member.

I'm not drinking that koolaide. (However the hell you spell koolaide).

"finishes higher"? That's open for interpretation. Finish higher in power points? Finish higher in their district compared to the others. Finish with a better record!

If EV finishes worse that 9-1, they will be a disappointment. Maybe I'll hedge just a little and say 8-2. But truthfully, they should be 10-0, with JM being the biggest hurdle.

Having said all of that, you have to look at the overall level of the competition these four teams face. In my opinion, Any of the three "finish higher" at 8-2 or 9-1 that a 10-0 EV.

I'm not bashing EV at all. Not even my point. It's a similar argument that we discuss all the time about Lafayette. Lafayette can finish 9-1 and it's considered a disappointing season. And they can't do anything about it. Their district is historically weak, and they only get one OOD game.

So EV "finishing higher" is too subjective. The real question is how deep will they go in the playoffs?

You know I love you 86Culp, so don't be mad at me please.
No worries...these are just opinions. The QB last year for EV tried to give it away to Sherando early or that wouldn't have been much of a game. The only player they had that caused problems was that big TE...and I think he's gone. Sorry to say....I'm just not a believer in C'ville. I would like to see EV play Louisa at some point.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
No worries...these are just opinions. The QB last year for EV tried to give it away to Sherando early or that wouldn't have been much of a game. The only player they had that caused problems was that big TE...and I think he's gone. Sorry to say....I'm just not a believer in C'ville. I would like to see EV play Louisa at some point.
Not much of a game ? Hmmm lol ok, EV beats Sherando for the first time ever, and shouldn't been much of a game. I believe the game was very competitive, especially considering Sherando had no defense.

I have to share your concerns Hammy. It's a privileged school. Nobody can argue that. Can they mold the stero-typical private school kids into a tough enough bunch to compete successfully with top tier teams?

Maybe Mike can look at their roster and see if they have any "re-classified" senior's left? But honestly, I don't think it makes any difference. I don't think they had any studs identified in time to re-class them before they became a VHSL member.
The only 5th year senior that I'm aware of from last year's team was the QB Johnson, who was also a pitcher on the championship baseball team. He graduated this year so I don't think there are any left. (Could be wrong though)

The only 5th year senior that I'm aware of from last year's team was the QB Johnson, who was also a pitcher on the championship baseball team. He graduated this year so I don't think there are any left. (Could be wrong though)
Where is Johnson going to college?

Not much of a game ? Hmmm lol ok, EV beats Sherando for the first time ever, and shouldn't been much of a game. I believe the game was very competitive, especially considering Sherando had no defense.
Did you see the 3 gimme pics in the 1st qtr?? 2 pick-sixes? The balls went about 3-yards right into the bellies of the Sherando guys. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't have been that close...they were very "tough" and well coached.

Did you see the 3 gimme pics in the 1st qtr?? 2 pick-sixes? The balls went about 3-yards right into the bellies of the Sherando guys. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't have been that close...they were very "tough" and well coached.
And it was only the 2nd time they've ever played each other.

And it was only the 2nd time they've ever played each other.
Apologies hammy....I was mixing up this game with the Chancellor game the week before (that's where the picks occurred). The QB actually played pretty good for EV in this game. The issue was the EV run defense in the 1st half. That RB from Sherando had 100+ yds but EV shut down their offense in the 2nd half.

Like I said, I'm no sour grape and I'm no hater, but there's been some great RBs come through VA football in the past. I think this kid gets the hype because of his accolades on the track. I wish the young man well but I'm not on the hype train. I look forward to see how Bburg fares with the big boys.

Reactions: lyhsports
We will see where the Blacksburg and the heritage is at the end of the season, that's what's great about this year, no clear cut favorite!

We will see where the Blacksburg and the heritage is at the end of the season, that's what's great about this year, no clear cut favorite!
I have seen football guys do well in track over and over, but I never see track guys become dominant in football. Whole different thing when you are the target of 11 guys. The last track guy I saw that was unbelievable on the football field was James Jett from Charlestown WV , played for a team we thumped every year forever now, but that dude was so fast nobody could ever touch him. Of course he went on to play for the Raiders , it took him to that level ( NFL) before anyone could catch him.

I have seen football guys do well in track over and over, but I never see track guys become dominant in football. Whole different thing when you are the target of 11 guys. The last track guy I saw that was unbelievable on the football field was James Jett from Charlestown WV , played for a team we thumped every year forever now, but that dude was so fast nobody could ever touch him. Of course he went on to play for the Raiders , it took him to that level ( NFL) before anyone could catch him.
My guy David Wilson too. Dude was #1 in America in the triple jump and nationally ranked in a running event. Went on a had a darn good career at Tech (d*mn I miss those days!) and for the Giants (the 2 years he lasted). If that neck wouldn't have messed up then he'd be the best RB in the NFL today.. Imagine him and Beckham (even though I think he's a premadonna) in NY . I know a lot of track athletes here at school. They're D1 runners but they'd say so themselves that the football field is a no no. Track turned football athletes don't have the longevity that pure football players have IMO.

Last edited:
QB from last year is gone....but many believe the QB that played JV last year is better. Backfield and receivers will be very good as always.....watch for D'Ago Hunter to have a tremendous season. The question again will come down to making defensive stops when it comes time to play the elite teams.
I remember that D'Ago hunter when you played us here in the playoffs. Very impressive player!

86Culpgrad, first let me state for the record I have total respect for the accomplishments of EV. Losing to a good Lafayette team is nothing to fret over.

You stated you hoped the EV defense is prepared to make stops when play they elite teams. I am not trying to be rude, but I agree with DP. How does EV prepare for "elite teams" when they schedule 1 5a, 4 4a's and 4 3a's. I get the district and rivalry game (mandatory), but who gets them ready? Maybe Orange, JM and Courtland. They are going to murder everyone else.

I realize scheduling can be tough for good 4a schools, but this schedule virtually locks up a top 2 seed in the region barring two other teams with tougher schedules go undefeated. Do you think this schedule is a good one?

I will say this the top 2 spots in the richmond/fredericksburg region might just be the hot spot as Louisa, Monacan or Dinwiddie could be in the middle of the pack with a loss or two. Going to be a fun year.

I
86Culpgrad, first let me state for the record I have total respect for the accomplishments of EV. Losing to a good Lafayette team is nothing to fret over.

You stated you hoped the EV defense is prepared to make stops when play they elite teams. I am not trying to be rude, but I agree with DP. How does EV prepare for "elite teams" when they schedule 1 5a, 4 4a's and 4 3a's. I get the district and rivalry game (mandatory), but who gets them ready? Maybe Orange, JM and Courtland. They are going to murder everyone else.

I realize scheduling can be tough for good 4a schools, but this schedule virtually locks up a top 2 seed in the region barring two other teams with tougher schedules go undefeated. Do you think this schedule is a good one?

I will say this the top 2 spots in the richmond/fredericksburg region might just be the hot spot as Louisa, Monacan or Dinwiddie could be in the middle of the pack with a loss or two. Going to be a fun year.
Like I said , EV is a good team, I like the progress the program has been making. They wouldn't beat Sherando this year.

I

Like I said , EV is a good team, I like the progress the program has been making. They wouldn't beat Sherando this year.
Hamspear, you have been fairly reserved, but honest about Sherando's potential. We know the Warriors will be nasty on the offensive side of the ball and will score a ton of points.

I know you have some talented defensive backs. Who do you project will step up idefensively for the Warriors? The front seven especially. I know replacing Rivers will be tough as he was a huge playmaker and run stopper.

Hamspear, you have been fairly reserved, but honest about Sherando's potential. We know the Warriors will be nasty on the offensive side of the ball and will score a ton of points.

I know you have some talented defensive backs. Who do you project will step up idefensively for the Warriors? The front seven especially. I know replacing Rivers will be tough as he was a huge playmaker and run stopper.
Return the whole offensive line and the defensive line , without rivers on O at TE. But the replacment is 6'3" coaches son, on D have all back except LB rivers, have a stud to replace him also. from what I understand and have seen pretty big size also. Size doesn't mean anything but we haven't had it for a few years. Honestly I only know about 75 percent of the players right now, will know more once I get a visual and see how well they move to the ball. Like I said , I see 8-2 or better regular season , nothing special. But better than most teams in our area.

EV will probably finish undefeated. I don't know what that tells us, but undfeated is undefeated. The question is are they just a solid squad beating up nobodies or are they elite amongst the 4A ranks. I'd lean somewhere in the middle. I'm not banging on EV though, you have got to play your local teams. As @BleedingNavy says in our region it is crucial to not drop more than 1 game or you will find yourself on the road in round 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT