ADVERTISEMENT

Gladiators Sweep Series from Parry McCluer

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In a rather strange game that featured more hit batters than batters hitting, Riverheads "run ruled" Parry McCluer 13-1 this afternoon. Seriously I would love to see the line score for this one, because there seemed to be very few actual hits in the game by either team, but I would estimate the number of hit batters at being in the double digits. Once those runners were put aboard, stolen bases were the main weapon used to advance them as I don't recall a single guy being nailed on an attempted steal.

The teams used a combined five pitchers in the game by my count and only one of them seemed to be able to keep his stuff under control. The most obvious example of the problem came in the RHS half of the third when they scored seven runs to take charge of the game. Prior to that, it was only 2-0 with the outcome still in doubt, but the Big Red quickly loaded the bases and the PM pitcher then plunked in the first two runs of the inning. Starting Riverheads pitcher Bennett Dunlap, seeing his first action of the season on the mound, helped his own cause by laying down a beautiful soft bunt, everyone was safe, and five more runs would score by the time the inning was over.

PM then scratched for its only run in the top of the fourth before RHS added the final four tallies of the game in the home half, the highlight being a solid double by Aiden Miller, one of the few outfield hits for either team. Despite the game only going 4 1/2 innings, it still took almost two hours to complete. This time, unlike their first meeting, the teams got to finish before rain fell later in the evening.

Speaking of rain, things look a little dicey for the next couple of days, but hopefully the Big Red can get in Friday's game when Fort Defiance pays a visit. The Gladiators won that one the first time around, building an early lead and barely hanging on to squeak out a 7-6 victory. In fact, squeakers have been the rule of thumb for Riverheads this season as five of their six district games have been decided by either one or two runs, with two of those games going extra innings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT