ADVERTISEMENT

Glass Fans Are No Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlingref

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 29, 2010
Rustburg Va.
Watching Friday Football Extra on WSET 13. Glass is undefeated and supposed to be the best team in 4A in Virginia. Lynchburg City Stadium looked like a ghost town. Wonder what the deal is with no fannies in the seats?

Watching Friday Football Extra on WSET 13. Glass is undefeated and supposed to be the best team in 4A in Virginia. Lynchburg City Stadium looked like a ghost town. Wonder what the deal is with no fannies in the seats?
That how the city schools are heritage draws better than glass but most of the time during district play the visitors side has more of a crowd than Ethier of the city schools.

that is just the city near you, most city schools have the same issue; maybe it is because most of their alumni and fans have moved on.

Reactions: VolNation85
that is just the city near you, most city schools have the same issue; maybe it is because most of their alumni and fans have moved on.
I KNOW it’s the same way for the Richmond City schools. I’d love to know how many John Marshall fans went all the way to Tunstall last night. A few weeks ago ,when Armstrong played George Wythe(R), there was maybe 500 people in the stands total, for both teams.

Richmond City Schools are going through a tough time right now with the new administration. Hopefully John Marshall can bring some excitement back to the city this winter. Tee Jay may take the 2A football title this year too.

I KNOW it’s the same way for the Richmond City schools. I’d love to know how many John Marshall fans went all the way to Tunstall last night. A few weeks ago ,when Armstrong played George Wythe(R), there was maybe 500 people in the stands total, for both teams.
How ironic you are the one the responded because lots the folk that used to be city residents now live in the Varina/Highland Springs/Henrico area and support them.

How ironic you are the one the responded because lots the folk that used to be city residents now live in the Varina/Highland Springs/Henrico area and support them.
You are correct! Back when I was growing up,they allowed the communities to play as one....A-K, JHW, MW all ran sports,especially basketball.

You are correct! Back when I was growing up,they allowed the communities to play as one....A-K, JHW, MW all ran sports,especially basketball.
That was a forced merger and the alumni of those schools did not like that at all. Political pressure was applied and the consolidation was broken up. Now you have schools that are half full to preserve the names.

I looked at a video of the Hopewell- Dinwiddie game shot from the Dinwiddie side and was surprised how empty the Hopewell side. Maybe Friday night lights is fading away.

Reactions: bowlingref
Hence my previous comments about bandwagon fans. Thank you!

The no shows are happening in all sports. Pro-College-High School. To many people are just not interested anymore.

HS attendance numbers are related to there just being more things to do now on your Friday night (as well as competition from colleges now once a year for a lot of teams). Pro and college attendance are related to it simply being cheaper to stay at home and watch crystal clear 1080p without spending $200-500+ on food/gas/tickets/hotels.

HS attendance numbers are related to there just being more things to do now on your Friday night (as well as competition from colleges now once a year for a lot of teams). Pro and college attendance are related to it simply being cheaper to stay at home and watch crystal clear 1080p without spending $200-500+ on food/gas/tickets/hotels.
My theory on going to the games and races is if its on tv, If I watch on TV, I am first in line to the concession stand,first in line to the restroom and dam sure don't have to deal with the traffic.

I looked at a video of the Hopewell- Dinwiddie game shot from the Dinwiddie side and was surprised how empty the Hopewell side. Maybe Friday night lights is fading away.
Idk if you’ve ever been too Merner Field, but it wraps around almost like a horseshoe. Many fans sit in the end zone and most of the kids walk the “track” around the field. I can promise you it’s not empty at Hopewell, and during playoff time it will be standing room.

Idk if you’ve ever been too Merner Field, but it wraps around almost like a horseshoe. Many fans sit in the end zone and most of the kids walk the “track” around the field. I can promise you it’s not empty at Hopewell, and during playoff time it will be standing room.
Never been there but the Hopewell side from 20 to 20 looked about half full.

This is how we still do it in the mean streets of Mineral.

Screenshot-20191020-034143-Hudl.jpg

It's not fading so much in Henrico, Hanover and Chesterfield Counties! The Richmond City Schools don't have lights at the football fields! They usually play their games in the afternoon before dark.... Most of the fans, parents, etc., probably have to work and can't make the early kick time. Also, the student body at these schools, most likely aren't interested in going to the games
When they play at a County School, I get the feeling that the majority of them don't want to come out to see that school's team get beaten badly!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
It's not fading so much in Henrico, Hanover and Chesterfield Counties! The Richmond City Schools don't have lights at the football fields! They usually play their games in the afternoon before dark.... Most of the fans, parents, etc., probably have to work and can't make the early kick time. Also, the student body at these schools, most likely aren't interested in going to the games
When they play at a County School, I get the feeling that the majority of them don't want to come out to see that school's team get beaten badly!
Well said! They also play before dark for safety reasons!

Reactions: springer76
Correct! Most of the games are played at 4pm to cut down on violence. This started about 5 years ago. Many parents complained,it’s drastically killed the attendance numbers,but the amount of violence has drastically reduced too!

Reactions: springer76
Lies Armstrong and Huguenot have lights and play all night games, Wythe, JM and TJ are all old schools, TJ is located in one of the safest neighborhoods in Richmond and does not have lights for the same reasons St Christopher’s doesn’t because the home owners associations won’t allow it.

Lies Armstrong and Huguenot have lights and play all night games, Wythe, JM and TJ are all old schools, TJ is located in one of the safest neighborhoods in Richmond and does not have lights for the same reasons St Christopher’s doesn’t because the home owners associations won’t allow it.
I recall at least 3 games being moved due to safety concerns in the past 2-3 years.

You have to take the video from the news with a grain of salt. City Stadium seats 9,000-10,000 people so it never will look "packed" out even when it is a large crowd. The Glass-Heritage game will draw 5,000-6,000 people and it will still appear to be a low turnout just due to the design of the stadium.

Back in my day city stadium was pretty well filled up on both sides normally. But then Glass was the only high school and dunbar was a middle type of school.

Reactions: VolNation85
I thought the home crowd at Hopewell was decent. With the Dinwiddie-Hopewell rivalry history, I would have expected a little larger crowd. But it was about normal. The security officers at Hopewell are reasonable about allowing the "rail birds" so there are always a lot of people socializing along the fences.

I'm still waiting to see a kicker break a window on the loft apartments that used to be the school. Or even that small unprotected window on the field house at the other end. (Am I being evil for wanting to see this?)

A question for any of you old Blue Devils. Were there ever concrete bleachers on what is now the home side?

I remember a few years ago, when Lake Taylor was king of the mountain, the home side crowd at LT was always small. Devils explained it well with a good explanation about the inner city demographics, and transportation issues.

I recall at least 3 games being moved due to safety concerns in the past 2-3 years.
Armstrong homecoming was canceled on a Friday night and moved in 2017 due to a shooting that afternoon in Whitcomb Court it was a played at Huguenot the next day, TJ and JM was going to be played at night in 2017 but was moved to Friday Afternoon because of an out of school incident that was never a threat to either school but involved a student from one of the schools. Incidents are highly unlikely to happen at any RPS event due to the high volume of police and security that are present.

GW and JM might be 50/60 year old buildings and TJ is close to 80 years old that’s why the facilities don’t have lights. A new Wythe will be built soon and have lights

Armstrong homecoming was canceled on a Friday night and moved in 2017 due to a shooting that afternoon in Whitcomb Court it was a played at Huguenot the next day, TJ and JM was going to be played at night in 2017 but was moved to Friday Afternoon because of an out of school incident that was never a threat to either school but involved a student from one of the schools. Incidents are highly unlikely to happen at any RPS event due to the high volume of police and security that are present.

GW and JM might be 50/60 year old buildings and TJ is close to 80 years old that’s why the facilities don’t have lights. A new Wythe will be built soon and have lights
When will the new Wythe be built? Wythe is in a bad state. It will probably never be accredited again and has a lot of turnover. Hope things change with the new principal from Massaponax. Reva Green was a good principal and was given a raw deal.

Wrong! When 2 RCS play each other,the game started BEFORE 7. Most of the time is IS played at 4 or 5pm. The private schools have always played early on Friday or Saturday at 1pm. Armstrong and Huguenot DO have lights,and DO play the county schools at 7pm.

When will the new Wythe be built? Wythe is in a bad state. It will probably never be accredited again and has a lot of turnover. Hope things change with the new principal from Massaponax. Reva Green was a good principal and was given a raw deal.
Don’t know believe they will finish the new Hull Street Middle School first where the old Elkhart was because of the large Latino population on the south side with is similar to Manassas Park and NOVA school so they will struggle in football but it will become progressively better in Soccer. Last year there soccer team beat some chesterfield teams

Reactions: HooSprings
Right, Huguenot and Armstrong do have lights. Oversight on my part, not exactly a lie though! As as homeowners associations not wanting lights, is that why George Wythe has no lights? Lie or oversight?
TJ's neighborhood not wanting stadium lights? All of the homes in that area are towards the front side of the school. The football field on the back side, faces businesses towards Broad St. To me, that doesn't make much sense!

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I’m pretty positive seeing that I am TJ’s coach that the homeowners association won’t allow lights considering someone offered to purchase lights when Hornik was the coach but hey I guess I don’t know anything
Right, Huguenot and Armstrong do have lights. Oversight on my part, not exactly a lie though! As as homeowners associations not wanting lights, is that why George Wythe has no lights? Lie or oversight?
TJ's neighborhood not wanting stadium lights? All of the homes in that area are towards the front side of the school. The football field on the back side, faces businesses towards Broad St. To me, that doesn't make much sense!

I’m pretty positive seeing that I am TJ’s coach that the homeowners association won’t allow lights considering someone offered to purchase lights when Hornik was the coach but hey I guess I don’t know anything
James River had the same problem years ago with their baseball team. They got a state quarters win due to a storm coming through,stopping the game after 5 innings,because no lights allowed,by the HOA a good distance away,that didn’t want ANY LIGHTS for night games.

One of the HSHS assistants used to be an assistant at TJ,and said the same as you’re saying. They DO NOT WANT lights there!

They come to Amherst this week and I bet they will hardly have any fans, what a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT