ADVERTISEMENT

Goaltending

In my regualr Friday lunch group, there are 6 basketball officials. All six said yes, it was goaltending by rule. Two said they wouldn't have called it, the call was correct, but not necessarily right, but the other four said it was the right call.

From what I took from the conversation (and any hoops officials who can clarify, especially if I mess up the rule, please do), the bll as in flight and touched above the rim. Even though it probably would have missed, you can't assume that, so grabbing it where he did was goaltending.

But had the offensive player grabbed it and slammed it home it wouldn't have been goaltending would it? if no that's the main problem with this rule. I understand you got to have a rule to prevent guys from just going up and block shots in front of the rim but a lot of alley oops are goaltending per the rule.

Good observation. I don't think ball was "above the rim". It was on a downward flight, but it was short and never was above rim.

reminds me of a play in high school back in late 90s. With less than 3 seconds to go, player either took a shot or threw an alley oop pass. Another player caught the ball and put it in for game winning shot. No one ever knew whether it was a shot or pass. Even the guy who shot ball could not say what it was. He just threw it up.

Hmmmm...don't you mean 80's? NCAA Championship game? NCState wins on this very play
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

Not sure how anyone could think the ball wasn't above the rime. Pic below is clear.

Ball was till above the rim and part of it was in the cylinder when it was touched. Could have been called goaltending or basket interference. Either way, it's three points.

la-sp-sn-twitter-ucla-smu-goaltending-20150320

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT