ADVERTISEMENT

Golf: Lanto Griffin, Of Blacksburg & VCU, Gets First PGA Win

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
Blacksburg’s Lanto Griffin, who graduated from and played golf for Blacksburg High and VCU, got his first career win on the PGA tour today. Griffin took the Houston Open title, by one stroke over both Mark Hubbard and Scott Harrington. Lanto, who held the 54-hole lead, shot a final-round 69.

With the win, Griffin earns an exemption into all PGA tour events (except majors) through the 2021-2022 season - so, almost for three years. He also becomes eligible for the Players Championship, the PGA Championship, and the Masters. And there’s also the little matter of taking home a boatload of moolah - $1.35 million. Griffin also vaulted into the lead in the early FedEx Cup standings.

As an almost life-long follower of golf, it’s really cool to see a kid from this neck of the woods (even one wearing Bruin blue and gold) go on to success at the game’s highest level. Winning on the PGA tour is incredibly difficult. Way to go, Lanto! And, congrats to any Bruin posters who might have a connection.

Nice article! Below is a link to another one, from PGAtour.com.

I get the feeling that most of our VaPreps posters don’t grasp what a rare and wonderful thing this is. We all know how difficult it is for a kid to go from high school football all the way to the NFL, statistically speaking, and even moreso to stay there for a full season or more. Yet even with those odds, several players from the Roanoke and New River valleys have done it, probably dozens since the 1960s. When was the last time a golfer from those areas won a PGA tour event? Roanoke’s Ed Sneed, in 1982. Before that? Probably never. Unless it was way, way back in the ‘40s or ‘50s, I can’t think of anyone from this neck of the woods to reach the heights Griffin has attained. And, he’s not done yet.

Of course, most of our posters probably have little or no interest in golf, and that’s cool. I just think Lanto’s is a great story, regardless of the sport involved. One of perseverance in the face of adversity, first and foremost. But also one of compassion and caring. As Griffin himself has said, it has literally taken a village to get him to the point he is today. Many people have gone out of their way to help him over the years. Primarily Steve Prater, former pro at Blacksburg Country Club, now with Roanoke Country Club.

Nineteen years ago, Prater saw a twelve-year old boy overcome with grief at the sudden loss of his father. Do you think when Prater gave that kid a free club membership and free lessons, mainly to help him heal and give him a positive direction, he fully envisioned where it could lead? And I don’t just mean for Griffin, personally. Griffin has already earned about $1.7 million this season, in just five weeks. It’s not hard to imagine him winning upwards of $5 million in the next few years. With all of those resources, who knows what he could accomplish off the course? He clearly seems like the type of person who places an emphasis on giving back, and paying it forward. Griffin might start some sort of foundation that ultimately aids hundreds or thousands of people, in ways we can’t even predict yet.

I think this is a great story that transcends golf. Lanto Griffin’s journey just underscores the transformative power of a few acts of kindness.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pg...onal-first-pga-tour-win-houston-open.amp.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT