ADVERTISEMENT

Goochland 28 Clarke 14 final

Nov 22, 2016
clarke was shut out in the second half. Goochland scored 21 unanswered. Hats off to a well coached and well prepared team. And good luck the rest of the way!

Thoughts from the game, I thought Clarke controlled the line of scrimmage the majority of the game. Definitely and evenly matched game and I would give the edge to Clarke physically. Came down to poor coaching on clarkes end. Poor decision to go for a fourth down near mid field...and then an absolutely awful decision to pass the ball on 3rd and goal. I don't understand why we didn't stick with the run. But still proud of this Clarke squad!

Another note after seeing Goochland...Appo is still the class of 2a, havent seen a better team yet.

Reactions: Boathead
If Appomattox wins tomorrow Goochland will push them to the edge next week. I'm telling you Goochland plays the bigger the game. It's the coaching staff, they will have them on another level next week. Wether Appomattox or Union they will get the game of their lives against the Bulldogs. Trust me we haven't seen the best of the Bulldogs yet.

Can you tell me BC in what way will they play better because of the game from I have seen on here they were behind tonight so why would they be better are you saying Clark was no competition for them , can you explain that comment

Reactions: BCKnights
If Appomattox wins tomorrow Goochland will push them to the edge next week. I'm telling you Goochland plays the bigger the game. It's the coaching staff, they will have them on another level next week. Wether Appomattox or Union they will get the game of their lives against the Bulldogs. Trust me we haven't seen the best of the Bulldogs yet.
No argument here in reference to the abilities of the Goochland coaching staff. And I hope Goochland does run the table and win a ring (always better to lose to the best)

But after seeing Clarke v Appo last year...Appo was in a different league. That Clarke team was better than than this years. I'm a firm believer in any given Sunday (er Friday night) but I'd still put money on Appo covering the spread against any 2a team.

Also not taking anything away from Goochland, because good teams find a way to win no matter what, but I think Clarke wins this match up 6/7 out of 10 times.

If Union wins tomorrow, Goochland will play Richlands and Draft will play Union

Can you tell me BC in what way will they play better because of the game from I have seen on here they were behind tonight so why would they be better are you saying Clark was no competition for them , can you explain that comment
I said nothing taking away from Clarke. This Goochland team seems very similar to the one that won it all in 2013. They didn't blow everybody out and they looked beatable throughout the entire season. I remember nobody gave them a chance to beat Essex that year because Essex was very high powered team and Goochland dominated them in the State Final. Appomattox and Goochland are 2 teams I follow just as much as my own. I know these teams. When I saw Appomattox defense last year against us, I said they wouldn't lose a game and they didn't. After seeing Appomattox this year I said they wouldn't lose and they haven't, but Goochland is undefeated and have a great staff that makes adjustments well so I think they can beat any team left but they can't shoot themselves in the foot. They play with discipline. To me it's styles makes fights in hs football. I picked Appomattox to beat Richlands last year on the fact that their defensive secondary was better than ours and we gave Richlands fits. I seen Appomattox up close and Goochland up close and I'll say this the great teams we had in Buckingham over the past 6 seasons were bigger and faster than Goochland with the exception of Jefferson but they slowed us down everytime with a perfect game plan. Besides this year Buckingham and Appomattox were very similar in size and speed and Goochland played us well last year with a young team but I believe they are capable. Also Strasburg had success against Goochland and Clarke is better. This game looked similar to last week. I think Clarke was very good and the Bulldogs played up a notch to the competition.

clarke was shut out in the second half. Goochland scored 21 unanswered. Hats off to a well coached and well prepared team. And good luck the rest of the way!

Thoughts from the game, I thought Clarke controlled the line of scrimmage the majority of the game. Definitely and evenly matched game and I would give the edge to Clarke physically. Came down to poor coaching on clarkes end. Poor decision to go for a fourth down near mid field...and then an absolutely awful decision to pass the ball on 3rd and goal. I don't understand why we didn't stick with the run. But still proud of this Clarke squad!

Another note after seeing Goochland...Appo is still the class of 2a, havent seen a better team yet.
Bad coaching cause the pass play didn't work on 3rd and goal from the 11? Bad coaching on 4th down when it was clear that both teams had trouble stopping one another and it was pretty clear that possessions were going to be limited for each team? I think Clarke had the ball 3 times in the 2nd half along with Goochland. 120-140 plays in normal game and bad coaching cause of 2 plays is beyond ludacris. Especially when early in the week you touted Clarke by saying they had a good staff. I'm a fan of Clarke and Bull Run District football and let me say bad coaching is not defined by not getting he desired outcome of a play call or two. Soooooooooooo easy to say bad play calls --bad coaching etc when 15-18 year old kids are playing their hearts out and a "kid" or "kids" doesn't get it done on a play or two. Successful programs like Clarke etc etc across the state have great fans but I tell ya......most of the die hards from those schools will not get on a "hide behind a screen name site as this" and blast their coaches and/or kids for a call. True fans stand behind their kids and coaches at all times.
Here is the absolute truth for anyone who has an understanding of football and not your typical "watcher". Goochland made a few more plays than Clarke and it was a slugfest back and forth throughout. Both offensive lines got movement on one another and Goochland had a few more athletes that could do damage than Clarke. That was just simply easy to see. If Clarke could have scored and made it 21-21....who knows with 7 min left.
It was a game that state qtr finals should be.
Good luck to Goochland next week as everyone knows Appo is loaded just like last year.

I was at the game. It was a well played hard fought game. you are right, there was no bad coaching, that is what single wing teams do, go for it on 4th down. I am sure the coach is second guessing himself on the play selection, but it was not bad coaching. The first time they threw the ball it was for a touchdown. so again no bad coaching there. The one observation I did make, is I believe only 1 of Goochland's O line went both ways, and it looked like almost all of Clarkes did. May have made a difference in the 4th quarter.
At this time of the season, all the teams are good, but whoever gets Goochland will have their hands full. They can run and throw and are very disciplined.

Reactions: BCKnights
Predictable ending to the CC season. Slow team who touts themselves as Clarke Strong when in reality they need to grab a speed ladder or plyometric box.
I will say that the following should have their coaches questioning if they are even strong.

- shutout in 2nd half
- stuffed on 4th and short
- forced to pass twice near the goal line
- couldn't get a stop on a long field after the interception

May want to reevaluate the postseason training. As mentioned, not enough athletes, slow. I even called CC predictable but that's not true either. They just couldn't do anything else. This season ends just like last year; a flurry of interceptions trying to do something that they are incapable of doing.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Bad coaching cause the pass play didn't work on 3rd and goal from the 11? Bad coaching on 4th down when it was clear that both teams had trouble stopping one another and it was pretty clear that possessions were going to be limited for each team? I think Clarke had the ball 3 times in the 2nd half along with Goochland. 120-140 plays in normal game and bad coaching cause of 2 plays is beyond ludacris. Especially when early in the week you touted Clarke by saying they had a good staff. I'm a fan of Clarke and Bull Run District football and let me say bad coaching is not defined by not getting he desired outcome of a play call or two. Soooooooooooo easy to say bad play calls --bad coaching etc when 15-18 year old kids are playing their hearts out and a "kid" or "kids" doesn't get it done on a play or two. Successful programs like Clarke etc etc across the state have great fans but I tell ya......most of the die hards from those schools will not get on a "hide behind a screen name site as this" and blast their coaches and/or kids for a call. True fans stand behind their kids and coaches at all times.
Here is the absolute truth for anyone who has an understanding of football and not your typical "watcher". Goochland made a few more plays than Clarke and it was a slugfest back and forth throughout. Both offensive lines got movement on one another and Goochland had a few more athletes that could do damage than Clarke. That was just simply easy to see. If Clarke could have scored and made it 21-21....who knows with 7 min left.
It was a game that state qtr finals should be.
Good luck to Goochland next week as everyone knows Appo is loaded just like last year.
I would still say Clarke has one of the best staffs in the state, across all divisions! I may have miscoveyed my opinion. I still thought we should've ran one more time on 3rd down before passing, or maybe getting enough to run again. And that a punt would've made more sense to me. It is easy for me to say that from the stands, I've never been a coach. I thought our kids played incredibly hard and were well prepared, it was a great game. I thought two poor coaching decisions affected the outcome. Which is just my opinion and probably why I pay to get into the game instead of getting paid to be on the sidelines.

Predictable ending to the CC season. Slow team who touts themselves as Clarke Strong when in reality they need to grab a speed ladder or plyometric box.
I will say that the following should have their coaches questioning if they are even strong.

- shutout in 2nd half

May want to reevaluate the postseason training. As mentioned, not enough athletes, slow. I even called CC predictable but that's not true either. They just couldn't do anything else. This season ends just like last year; a flurry of interceptions trying to do something that they are incapable of doing.
you my friend 7 miles away don't even deserve an intelligent response from me as anyone who follows these boards knows what type of troll you are in regards to Clarke. Enjoy Millbrook .....good luck in bball this winter as you got an earlier start.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I would still say Clarke has one of the best staffs in the state, across all divisions! I may have miscoveyed my opinion. I still thought we should've ran one more time on 3rd down before passing, or maybe getting enough to run again. And that a punt would've made more sense to me. It is easy for me to say that from the stands, I've never been a coach. I thought our kids played incredibly hard and were well prepared, it was a great game. I thought two poor coaching decisions affected the outcome. Which is just my opinion and probably why I pay to get into the game instead of getting paid to be on the sidelines.
They were outcoached. If you check the Appo/CC game online you will see the Appo QB on short yardage run a QB sneak for about 9 yards. Goochland must have studied that because they did the same thing to punch it in.
Tie game and go for it on 4th down on your side of the field. Coaching or ego? Either one is a mistake with a chance to go to States.

Understood and just remember.

Famous last lines from every fan no matter if high school/college/pro games:

"You got to run the ball"---"you got to pass the ball!"

Reactions: OrangeandBlue25
They were outcoached. If you check the Appo/CC game online you will see the Appo QB on short yardage run a QB sneak for about 9 yards. Goochland must have studied that because they did the same thing to punch it in.
Tie game and go for it on 4th down on your side of the field. Coaching or ego? Either one is a mistake with a chance to go to States.
Oh you are so astute in your vast knowledge. Guessin Goochland has never ran a sneak in short yardage with a 245 pound qb. Oh from the 1 yard line. My god you are brilliant ☕️

Oh and before I forget---Clarke's staff must be god awful to consistently win and get deep in the playoffs yearly with "no athletes and no speed" as you say all the time. I think I'll go have breakfast on that note and will be sure to thank each of them for the work they do with our kids in the game and in life. You make me ill to be a neighbor in a surrounding county.

The game last night was what high school football is all about. Both teams really did leave it all on the field. Both teams were well coached, played physical and played their style of game. The referee's did an outstanding job and were a non factor in the game. The sportsmanship was outstanding for both teams as well. Clarke County has a lot to be proud of and I have nothing but respect for your football program and the fans that made the trip. Good luck to the Eagles in the future!

No argument here in reference to the abilities of the Goochland coaching staff. And I hope Goochland does run the table and win a ring (always better to lose to the best)

But after seeing Clarke v Appo last year...Appo was in a different league. That Clarke team was better than than this years. I'm a firm believer in any given Sunday (er Friday night) but I'd still put money on Appo covering the spread against any 2a team.

Also not taking anything away from Goochland, because good teams find a way to win no matter what, but I think Clarke wins this match up 6/7 out of 10 times.

I'd be surprised if Clarke won 2/10 games against Goochland. They had no answer against Goochlands offense once they started passing and all Goochland needed to win that game was one stop on defense. I will admit Clarke was big and they won in the trenches but Goochland was without 54 their best run stopper on the D-line and Clarke was using their big boys both ways, Goochland plays few if any linemen both ways which they could have used. Hats off to Clarke though them boys were tough.

@Pioneer101 when was the last time Millbrook played for a state title in football. When your football program plays in the state quarterfinals, semis or title game on a yearly basis then you can talk. Enjoy your one year run as District champs because The Warriors will take that back next year
From the dictionary : Jealous :
adjective
adjective: jealous
feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages.
"he grew jealous of her success"
synonyms: envious, covetous, desirous

I think this would sum up somebody obsessed with Clarke like this guy, this was Millbrooks best team ever with a chance to do something and couldn't get it done, so he has to come on here and try impress somebody and make himself feel good.

Last night was a hell of a game, Clarke won the first half, Goochland won the second and advances. Clean game, hard fought and nothing for Clarke to hang their head about.

The game last night was what high school football is all about. Both teams really did leave it all on the field. Both teams were well coached, played physical and played their style of game. The referee's did an outstanding job and were a non factor in the game. The sportsmanship was outstanding for both teams as well. Clarke County has a lot to be proud of and I have nothing but respect for your football program and the fans that made the trip. Good luck to the Eagles in the future!
Thanks G Dog, Good Luck next week

Hats off to Clarke on another good season and another deep playoff run. Tough group of kids - I like the article in the Star the other day about the TE/DE. They have been consistently good in the regular season for about a decade now and the last three years they have put together some solid playoff runs.

Question to the Clarke fans - how does the future look? I do not doubt they will continue to do well in the regular season; do they the guys coming up through the program to sustain their recent post-season success?

Congrats on a another good year.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
From the dictionary : Jealous :
adjective
adjective: jealous
feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages.
"he grew jealous of her success"
synonyms: envious, covetous, desirous

I think this would sum up somebody obsessed with Clarke like this guy, this was Millbrooks best team ever with a chance to do something and couldn't get it done, so he has to come on here and try impress somebody and make himself feel good.

Last night was a hell of a game, Clarke won the first half, Goochland won the second and advances. Clean game, hard fought and nothing for Clarke to hang their head about.
Jealous of what? We did the same thing to CC that Goochland did. Hit em in the mouth. Bullies don't like that. They fold. I talk football and you CC people can't take any criticism of play calling, coaching, predictability, athleticism, etc. Every negative CC post is reacted to like "how dare you". Guess what, you're program is just a little fish in a big 2A pond. Work on your passing game. It's terrible.

Hats off to Clarke on another good season and another deep playoff run. Tough group of kids - I like the article in the Star the other day about the TE/DE. They have been consistently good in the regular season for about a decade now and the last three years they have put together some solid playoff runs.

Question to the Clarke fans - how does the future look? I do not doubt they will continue to do well in the regular season; do they the guys coming up through the program to sustain their recent post-season success?

Return 7 on defense and 6 with significant playing time on offense. Freshmen team went 7-2 (undefeated in district-lost to 2 games (riverside 3a and musseman 3a wv). Jv went 3-0 -i think. Many of the same type of kids coming up-at least all us fans hope.

Jealous of what? We did the same thing to CC that Goochland did. Hit em in the mouth. Bullies don't like that. They fold. I talk football and you CC people can't take any criticism of play calling, coaching, predictability, athleticism, etc. Every negative CC post is reacted to like "how dare you". Guess what, you're program is just a little fish in a big 2A pond. Work on your passing game. It's terrible.
Punched in mouth? No. Savon ran around and by-yes.
God you give Millbrook a bad rep and those kids and coaches don't deserve that. #sad

Oh and thanks for always demeaning Clarke's program and the kids and coaches. Speaks volumes of your character.

Clarke loses 23 seniors on this years 58 man roster. Returning players that started this year. Kyle Baylor RB/DB, Cole Lawson RB/DB, Nick Bahamonde K, Ricco Nappi RB/LB, Lucas Rogers TE/LB, Bryan Wallace OL/DE, Jacob Peace OL/DL, Kyle Anderson OL/DL. I may have missed a player or two.

Several other players have quite a bit of game experience, as they saw a lot of action when Clarke had blow outs. JV played 3 games and was 3-0, Freshmen were 7-2 with losses to Mussleman and Riverside. Most of their wins were more than two score advantage.

The line brings back the most returning starters and should be solid, as Clarke has a very good off season weight program. Linebacking should be strong as well.

Biggest holes to fill Hunter Rogers RB/DB, Josh Wallace C, Brett McDonald TE/DB, Chris Davis QB/LB/P, Daniel Braithwaite RB/LB, Pat Cleary RB/DB, Mackie Martin TE/DE, Cam Marshall OL/DL and Jacob Parrot QB

Punched in mouth? No. Savon ran around and by-yes.
God you give Millbrook a bad rep and those kids and coaches don't deserve that. #sad
I was thinking the same thing, every time he gets on here and badmouths Clarke it backfires and everybody points out Millbrooks weaknesses. If I was a Millbrook coach or player I would be telling him to quit worrying about Clarke He keeps harping on how Millbrook (4A) beat a 2A team like it was there Superbowl, what about the thrashing you got from Salem, do you see Clarke fans going on the 4a board cheering about that, grow up man

Last edited:
Sounds like Clarke should be in good shape moving forward.

Pioneer is brash in his assessment - but at the heart of his argument is that Clarke needs to add a passing game to its arsenal. I think all Clarke fans recognize the need to make that next progression in their offense if they want to go all the way. I love the believe in what you do mentality - but there's got to be a little bit of balance to get over the hump. Clarke seems to have the horses up front and good skill guys - they should be able to consistently execute in the passing game and they haven't shown the ability to do so. Not a knock on Clarke - just reality. I do believe Clarke will adjust and extend the playbook a little bit in the off-season. Most single wing teams have a spread/jet package to accompany the wing - if Clarke can add that element - watch out!

Pioneer is brash in his assessment - but at the heart of his argument is that Clarke needs to add a passing game to its arsenal. I think all Clarke fans recognize the need to make that next progression in their offense if they want to go all the way. I love the believe in what you do mentality - but there's got to be a little bit of balance to get over the hump. Clarke seems to have the horses up front and good skill guys - they should be able to consistently execute in the passing game and they haven't shown the ability to do so. Not a knock on Clarke - just reality. I do believe Clarke will adjust and extend the playbook a little bit in the off-season. Most single wing teams have a spread/jet package to accompany the wing - if Clarke can add that element - watch out!
Exactly

Clarke loses 23 seniors on this years 58 man roster. Returning players that started this year. Kyle Baylor RB/DB, Cole Lawson RB/DB, Nick Bahamonde K, Ricco Nappi RB/LB, Lucas Rogers TE/LB, Bryan Wallace OL/DE, Jacob Peace OL/DL, Kyle Anderson OL/DL. I may have missed a player or two.

Several other players have quite a bit of game experience, as they saw a lot of action when Clarke had blow outs. JV played 3 games and was 3-0, Freshmen were 7-2 with losses to Mussleman and Riverside. Most of their wins were more than two score advantage.

The line brings back the most returning starters and should be solid, as Clarke has a very good off season weight program. Linebacking should be strong as well.

Biggest holes to fill Hunter Rogers RB/DB, Josh Wallace C, Brett McDonald TE/DB, Chris Davis QB/LB/P, Daniel Braithwaite RB/LB, Pat Cleary RB/DB, Mackie Martin TE/DE, Cam Marshall OL/DL and Jacob Parrot QB

Any idea what Bull Run District Champ Central- Woodstock has coming back?

Pioneer is brash in his assessment - but at the heart of his argument is that Clarke needs to add a passing game to its arsenal. I think all Clarke fans recognize the need to make that next progression in their offense if they want to go all the way. I love the believe in what you do mentality - but there's got to be a little bit of balance to get over the hump. Clarke seems to have the horses up front and good skill guys - they should be able to consistently execute in the passing game and they haven't shown the ability to do so. Not a knock on Clarke - just reality. I do believe Clarke will adjust and extend the playbook a little bit in the off-season. Most single wing teams have a spread/jet package to accompany the wing - if Clarke can add that element - watch out![/Q
Any idea what Bull Run District Champ Central- Woodstock has coming back--

Co-champion but thanks for worrying about us and the BRD....I hear Sherando has a lot back? Rumors of Savon transferring out of Millbrook? Lots of seniors on Millbrook as well....James Wood JV went undefeated and Handley will be better. good luck next year in the Apple Cup.....
I can do this all day with you and rest assured I have a high football IQ. The major difference I see is, we (clarke) root for the local teams in the playoffs as it adds more credibility to our area. The real sad thing is the kids are all friends and pull for one another but childish adults can't do the same. And we wonder why the youth of America is trending downward......

- shutout in 2nd half

Have a Merry Christmas Pioneer101. Glad Clarke could provide you with a local team to critique this weekend.

Have a Merry Christmas Pioneer101. Glad Clarke could provide you with a local team to critique this weekend.

I was at the game. It was a well played hard fought game. you are right, there was no bad coaching, that is what single wing teams do, go for it on 4th down. I am sure the coach is second guessing himself on the play selection, but it was not bad coaching. The first time they threw the ball it was for a touchdown. so again no bad coaching there. The one observation I did make, is I believe only 1 of Goochland's O line went both ways, and it looked like almost all of Clarkes did. May have made a difference in the 4th quarter.
At this time of the season, all the teams are good, but whoever gets Goochland will have their hands full. They can run and throw and are very disciplined.
Thanks G Dog, Good Luck next week
Your statement sums it up pretty good. Near the end of the game I overhead Cordell Mattox telling a team mate how tired he was, yet he continued to motor on. After the game I spoke to Chris Davis and Hunter Rogers on video, I could tell they were worn out and upset but they both were class acts and gave their advice for the upcoming Clarke underclassmen. Rogers advice was to stay humble. I knew this would be a classic battle just like the game they had a few years ago when D.J. Coles was playing. Both these programs are proud, know how to win and know how to lose with class.They both have excellent coaching staffs, support systems and fan bases. Both teams will remain a force on the 2A scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT