ADVERTISEMENT

Good decision VHSL.

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Snowing pretty good 9 am in Salem. Would have been a more dangerous trip than normal. I criticize this organization a lot. Only fair to point out something when I think they got it right. Still think they need to completely rethink locations and time of games. Williamsburg to far east. Blacksburg to far west for 4a. Needs to be in Harrisonburg, Richmond, Charlottesville, or Lynchburg. 1a and 2 a can stay in Salem. 5a and 6a should be at ODU or William and Mary. Games in December should start no later than 3:00 (Easier for teams and fans to return home and warmer temperatures)

Reactions: CRF4Dan
SBU, blame LT’s coach for the location change. I too believe the 3a/4a games should be no further east than Richmond and no further west than Lynchburg, but that’s the way the ball bounces. If your team is playing then the best thing to do is carpool and charter buses. The bus company in Danville has great rates for school events and would be glad to help anyone in the Region out. Is Salem having charter buses for fans this weekend?

SBU, blame LT’s coach for the location change. I too believe the 3a/4a games should be no further east than Richmond and no further west than Lynchburg, but that’s the way the ball bounces. If your team is playing then the best thing to do is carpool and charter buses. The bus company in Danville has great rates for school events and would be glad to help anyone in the Region out. Is Salem having charter buses for fans this weekend?
Only one I know of. Then the busses for the band. Salem fans are more into car pooling

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
5a and 6a should be at ODU or William and Mary. Games in December should start no later than 3:00 (Easier for teams and fans to return home and warmer temperatures)
Respectfully, heck no! Class 5 and 6 should not be in SE Virginia all the time. Anyone making it from Richmond or NOVA has to travel from 2-3.5 hours (or more) and any team from Region 6A gets what amounts to a home game. It needs to be a central location, period.

Respectfully, heck no! Class 5 and 6 should not be in SE Virginia all the time. Anyone making it from Richmond or NOVA has to travel from 2-3.5 hours (or more) and any team from Region 6A gets what amounts to a home game. It needs to be a central location, period.
No place in northern Virginia to hold game

The advantage of JMU, UVA, HU and W&M is all four are minutes from an interstate highway for travel. Liberty is not and 460/360/29 is not quite the same in my travels.

Rotation between areas is OK IMHO, and part of the experience. But, it is still very surprising that no where in Northern VA is a place suitable for a state tournament. If we could get the Deadskins in VA, that would do it & I think everyone would look forward to the opportunity, right? Other states which have NFL likely open their stadium for such events. My Alma Matre just played in Lucas Oil Stadium, Indy, and it was definitely well attended for a HS State Finals!

Moving aside 4A, 3A is overwhelmingly dominated by West schools. The combination of 3A and 4A should make this a no-brainer as to its location and Williamsburg is for damn sure not the answer. That's an absurd ask of all these West schools.

Reactions: AntGZee
With 5/6 its tough to keep someone from ending up with a "home" game. I guess you could use JMU or UVA but with JMU and their deep playoff runs that could get tricky. Also based on the weather should the fields be turf?

I say you could do all 6 games at lu. Lu is going to be central for everyone, they have field turf for weather conditions, they will be the biggest stadium in central va with field turf, they are adding a second deck to student side (construction is already started). They have state of the art facilities, with an indoor facilities for the next teams to warm up on. They are right off 460 and 29. There are more than enough hotels and restaurants. You could do 1A on Friday night, 2A, 3A, 4A on Saturday's and 5A, 6A on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT