ADVERTISEMENT

Good Discussion

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
That Minnesota Vikings/NOLA Saints game was absolutely CRAAAAAAAZY!! What’s the best finish you’ve ever experienced? I’ve seen some good ones. Some that come to mind is the Dinwiddie/Salem game this past September, Ponax/Courtland in 2015, Salem/Lake Taylor in 2015, Franklin County/Salem in 2012, the GW Danville/Reidsville games of the 2000s and GW Danville/Gar-Field back in 2001. My number 1 was back during my freshmen year at Tunstall High School (2008) when we played Patrick County. Patrick County would win the Piedmont District (can you believe that???) outright if they beat us that night. Patrick County was up 7 with less than 5 seconds at the goal line...Game was over...YEAH RIGHT! Instead of kneeling, they ran a play to run the score up..Kid from Tunstall stripped the ball carrier and a Tunstall teammate ran the ball back 99 yards as time expired..Tunstall went for 2 and won the game. It was absolutely crazy!!! I don’t think Patrick County has ever recovered from that game. Definitely the best finish I’ve ever seen.

2016 Championship game: Salem drives the ball over 8 minutes, converting two 4th downs to take a 31-27 lead in the closing seconds and then has to hold on as Dinwiddie drives down to the 11 yd line in 44 seconds.

That Minnesota Vikings/NOLA Saints game was absolutely CRAAAAAAAZY!! What’s the best finish you’ve ever experienced? I’ve seen some good ones. Some that come to mind is the Dinwiddie/Salem game this past September, Ponax/Courtland in 2015, Salem/Lake Taylor in 2015, Franklin County/Salem in 2012, the GW Danville/Reidsville games of the 2000s and GW Danville/Gar-Field back in 2001. My number 1 was back during my freshmen year at Tunstall High School (2008) when we played Patrick County. Patrick County would win the Piedmont District (can you believe that???) outright if they beat us that night. Patrick County was up 7 with less than 5 seconds at the goal line...Game was over...YEAH RIGHT! Instead of kneeling, they ran a play to run the score up..Kid from Tunstall stripped the ball carrier and a Tunstall teammate ran the ball back 99 yards as time expired..Tunstall went for 2 and won the game. It was absolutely crazy!!! I don’t think Patrick County has ever recovered from that game. Definitely the best finish I’ve ever seen.

Monacan-Lake Taylor 2014 to this day is the wildest ending for me. For Lake Taylor to win it the way they did... to go from an upset to a crushing defeat in a matter of seconds... I can close my eyes and go right back to that game. There are few games I can say that about.

95 Amherst at Salem Amherst wins in ot 36-29.
99 state title. Salem wins 21-20 over Park View against current StoneBridge head coach.
00 Salem beats Northside 10-6. I believe that's the year Northside had two division one linebackers. One went to UVA and one went to UCLA.
06 Amherst at Salem Both sides of Salem stadium were full and there were thousands more standing. Salem takes the lead late at 21-18 and Amherst throws a pass which Amherst receiver made a great catch and got behind Salem and scored. Salem still made a decent drive but ended up falling short.
15 Salem wins against Lake Taylor and starts 3 in a row. Great game of emotion.
16 Salem does not punt and uses almost whole fourth quarter and on 4th and goal decide to go for the win and Riley Fix sneaks in from the 3. Dinwiddie comes straight back but last pass is denied .

Courtland/JM 1985 when JM snapped Courtland's 29 game winning streak. Game played at JM's field mid November and started to snow lightly right after the game. Crazy hard fought game that Courtland was looking past and paid dearly, did not recover and lost the very next week to Caroline in huge upset. The oddest thing was that year Courtland had its most talented team, but continued with self inflicted wound and a final loss to Handley High School. Courtland won state tiles in 86' and 87' with lesser talented teams than that 1985 squad.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I’ll take it back even further. Back to 1999 when Culpeper went into Darling Stadium to play Hampton in the 5A state semifinals to end the Hampton streak. Culpeper won 20-17 in overtime after Hampton was flagged for a penalty. That game was crazy exciting.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Courtland/JM 1985 when JM snapped Courtland's 29 game winning streak. Game played at JM's field mid November and started to snow lightly right after the game. Crazy hard fought game that Courtland was looking past and paid dearly, did not recover and lost the very next week to Caroline in huge upset. The oddest thing was that year Courtland had its most talented team, but continued with self inflicted wound and a final loss to Handley High School. Courtland won state tiles in 86' and 87' with lesser talented teams than that 1985 squad.
The year the streak was stopped was 1984.....Courtland won the state in 1982, 1983, 1985, and 1987. The 1986 season was the season they advanced to play Salem by beating Pulaski when late in the game Courtland was losing 7-6 when the long snapper for Pulaski snapped the ball over the punters head for a Courtland safety and Courtland won 8-7. One of the coldest games i remember watching. They lost to Salem the next week in the regional final.

Tuscarora beats John Champe this year on almost the exact same play except Tuscarora's QB threw up a prayer from the 22 yard line. Tusky WR out jumped 4 Champe defenders who all collided with each other. 78 yard TD as time expires. CRAZY!!

That that I personally saw:
I agree with Mike. Even though we lost, that was an exciting finish.

That I know about but wasn't in attendance:
Like Danny, that LT/Monacan finish was about the wildest finish I've ever heard of in a high school game.

Another wild but painful finish to a game was about 10 years ago, Phoebus at Dinwiddie playoff game, Dinwiddie had Phoebus beaten with about two minutes to go and lost.

ADVERTISEMENT