ADVERTISEMENT

Graham Undefeated SWD Champions

Gridiron1960

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 23, 2019
Bluefield VA
For the first time since 1990 , Graham GMen went undefeated in the regular season 9-0’! Congratulations to the coaching staff and the players! I’m really proud of their effort and improvements. They have home field advantage as long as they keep winning with the highest PP rating in 2A. Keep rolling GMen!

Last edited:
I see nobody within 2 scores of them the rest of the way.

Appo will likely be right there along with King William in Salem. The G-men definitely pass the eye test to win it all though. That’s a damn good team when they are on. There are a few times penalties become problematic but overall they are looking the part.

If they can shut down the running game of Union and Central in the regional playoffs, then I really like their chances. Offensively, they can pass or run it effectively. They are very fast on defense and quick to the ball. Issues early on with poor tackling. That appears to be remedied. But Union and Central will both bring a very good run game to them in tegion D.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
I personally like Central and their style of play. IF they can shrink the field and make Graham play in a smaller window with their D they will be in the game. Union is similar in that regard. Both have enough to beat Graham but it would have to be a near flawless game for either to do it. Tons of respect for both programs but Graham is sitting in the catbirds seat this year. Ridgeview is the team that surprises me some from SWVA. From admittedly far away I wondered how they would replace Atkins (sp). Sounds like they have e some studs coming through so they have a punchers chance too. If everyone plays to their average, it’s clearly Graham a few steps ahead of the others. Union/Central/Ridgeview are all right there and it’s hard differentiate between them overall. It should be a fun region d tournament though.

I personally like Central and their style of play. IF they can shrink the field and make Graham play in a smaller window with their D they will be in the game. Union is similar in that regard. Both have enough to beat Graham but it would have to be a near flawless game for either to do it. Tons of respect for both programs but Graham is sitting in the catbirds seat this year. Ridgeview is the team that surprises me some from SWVA. From admittedly far away I wondered how they would replace Atkins (sp). Sounds like they have e some studs coming through so they have a punchers chance too. If everyone plays to their average, it’s clearly Graham a few steps ahead of the others. Union/Central/Ridgeview are all right there and it’s hard differentiate between them overall. It should be a fun region d tournament though.

Lots of similarities with Central and Riverheads in style.

Bradshaw is among the best WR's in Virginia (at any level). One of Notre Dame's major media commentators says Bradshaw is their must get and best recruit. That's a lofty statement, but he said that. At Ridgeview, their is a kid named Brandon Beavers who is also right up there, and will likely have major college offers coming in soon. He's a tall, lean, blazing fast, and athletic WR at Ridgeview with incredibly hands. You will hear his name much more next year in his senior year.

Graham is the real deal and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing, but Appo is still the team to beat. To be the man, you have to beat the man, and Appo is one tough out! King William looks fantastic and Nottoway looks fantastic. This is a team that's really flown under the radar this year. They are pummeling opponents and have speed and size all over the field. Then, S. Draft keeps on rolling. What if Draft beats Riverheads tonight? Draft is in the discussion for me right now, they don't have to beat Riverheads to be in the discussion. They are solid. But, I agree Graham is going to be difficult to beat. If both get that far, the Appo vs Graham game in Bluefield will certainly be one to see. I will make the drive to see that one.

I don’t mean to sound like I am slighting Draft and tonight’s outcomes doesn’t change my opinion of them. They should be in the Region B discussion for sure. Not sure how confident I am in Buckingham after their game this week. I expected a little more lopsided affair for them. All in all class 2 is gonna be a slobber knocker.

Reactions: Raiders Radio
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT