ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Appomattox State Semifinals

Limit the other team to fewer points.

On a serious note. Turnovers and Penalties will be key. Should be a great game if both teams bring their A-game.
Should be a great game definitely if both bring their A game. Not having Kiser will hurt but hoping GMen can figure out a way to compensate for not having him on O & D. Bad way to end your high school football career.

Going by what ive read and seen the defenses are pretty even. I think Graham has the better offense. Ill say Graham 31-24. If Graham keeps penalties in check, no more than 5 or so, i say they win 38-24. And of course no turnovers from either team.

Going by what ive read and seen the defenses are pretty even. I think Graham has the better offense. Ill say Graham 31-24. If Graham keeps penalties in check, no more than 5 or so, i say they win 38-24. And of course no turnovers from either team.
I think it may be a low scoring game if both defensive units do what they’ve been doing. Special teams, field position , turnovers and penalties will tell the tale. No prediction . I do have a question though; will Graham spend Friday night in Appomattox/ Lynchburg or travel on game day? Reason being that if visiting team is like say greater than 3 hours away, game time can be pushed later in the day.

When i went to Bluefield college i could make the trip in 2 and 1/2 hours. 460 to 581 to 81 to 77.

From Bluefield it is a 3 hour trip (without stopping). Have made the trip multuple times. Too many to count over the last 25 years. Old Fool must have been booking it.

From Bluefield it is a 3 hour trip (without stopping). Have made the trip multuple times. Too many to count over the last 25 years. Old Fool must have been booking it.
Back in 1979 and driving no more than 4mph over posted speed. Got a speeding ticket on 460 one time on the speed trap just before the new river bridge where speed was reduced but signs blocked by trees. Wanting to say that is Perisburg?

Yes. That is just before the Pearisburg exit on 460. I take 460 to 77 to 81 North. Then take exit 150 and get back on 460 East there. Usually stop at the McDonalds in Bedford at that Wal-Mart shopping center. My wife does complain about my slow driving however.

Reactions: oldfool2
I’ve watched some Max Preps film on the QB - he looks pretty good but appears to be a better DB in my opinion. He closes really well and seems undersides to hit. Reminds me of Javon Scruggs the old Appo QB. That can be good and bad- depending on how good of a backup you have in case something happens. I hate a QB playing both ways.

I think it may be a low scoring game if both defensive units do what they’ve been doing. Special teams, field position , turnovers and penalties will tell the tale. No prediction . I do have a question though; will Graham spend Friday night in Appomattox/ Lynchburg or travel on game day? Reason being that if visiting team is like say greater than 3 hours away, game time can be pushed later in the day.
If I were Graham I’d travel that day and play later just to keep routine normal but that’s just me. I think teams tend to lose focus when you change up things like spending the night in a hotel prior to the most important game of the season.

Last edited:
I’ve watched some Max Preps film on the QB - he looks pretty good but appears to be a better DB in my opinion. He closes really well and seems undersides to hit. Reminds me of Javon Scruggs the old Appo QB. That can be good and bad- depending on how good of a backup you have in case something happens. I hate a QB playing both ways.

He’s committed to Old Dominion, projected as a slot WR. He can sling the ball but mostly the case of having him as the qb is making sure your best athlete is touching the ball every play

Lester is a very good athlete. Has 4.5 speed, benches over 300 and has a tremendous vertical leap (not sure how high but seen a couple of videos that are unbelievable). He is a threat to run or throw the ball, a nice luxury to have on both sides of the ball. He has 43 touchdowns and has played in only the first half in over half of their games. Backup QB is very capable, a good passer, but not as mobile, but follows blockers well on designed plays. Backup QB (Blevins) is not likely to make a busted play into a hilight reel play like Lester. Dont be fooled, however. Graham has many offensive weapons if Lester is contained. Grahams defense may be their best asset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gridiron1960
Probably the most athletic team Graham has seen this year. Which ever team can dominate on the ground will win. Graham needs to make Appomattox pass on 3rd down. When we played Appomattox we had them in 3rd and long every possession except 1 and couldn't convert in the air. Appomattox must defend the pass and their defense have quite a few interceptions this year. Good luck to both teams. I definitely will be at Bragg for this one.

Bluefield is and will be the most athletic team that Graham will see this year with 5 D-1 commits and WV class AA finalist and 11 time State Champion. Appomattox is most likely the 2nd most athletic.

Probably the most athletic team Graham has seen this year. Which ever team can dominate on the ground will win. Graham needs to make Appomattox pass on 3rd down. When we played Appomattox we had them in 3rd and long every possession except 1 and couldn't convert in the air. Appomattox must defend the pass and their defense have quite a few interceptions this year. Good luck to both teams. I definitely will be at Bragg for this one.

BC Knights you always insightful posts. One thing for us you may or may not have known is when we played you guys only 2 of our starting 5 returning lineman played due to injuries and discipline issues...then one of the 2 that played got hurt in the 1st quarter and didn’t return. Also our QB went out early in the 3rd quarter. All of this stuff is part of football, so my point is not to say anything about our loss to you guys ; just that we are a different team now versus when we played you guys. Much like you guys weren’t the same team at the end due to injuries.
I think Saturday’s game will be a close one and possibly a low scoring game. I don’t predict who will win but things like turnovers, penalties, field position and special team play usually make the difference in these types of games. So as they say- that’s why you play the game.

This will be the best team we have seen since Heritage.
My opinion is that this will be the unofficial state championship, with Graham being the “Goliath” since they are the reigning champs.
That’s ok there is a story I read somewhere about a guy named Goliath.

Reactions: High School Sportz2
This will be the best team we have seen since Heritage.
My opinion is that this will be the unofficial state championship, with Graham being the “Goliath” since they are the reigning champs.
That’s ok there is a story I read somewhere about a guy named Goliath.

I feel as though Appomattox winning 3 of the 4 last state titles would be the Goliath even with Graham being defending state champions.Graham is a #3 seed while the others left are all #1s I believe. Graham is definitely David in this analogy.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaTech98
We need to change the rules to whoever scores least points and has the most penalties win! I stil wont predict a winner.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Most likely i'd like to see it start at 4 since i will have to work. Expect i will be making arrangements to be off.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I’m surprised Graham didn’t push for a later start time. Hope they travel day of & not day before.
I've not seen an official start time yet. Just looked at VHSL website and it's not posted there yet.

I've not seen an official start time yet. Just looked at VHSL website and it's not posted there yet.
It’s posted on Graham High Schools Twitter as of this morning.

“The state semifinal football game between Graham and Appomattox at Appomattox High School will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, December 7. Presale tickets will be sold online only at GoFan for $10 per ticket. Tickets will be available at the gate on Saturday. #GoGraham”

Reactions: oldfool2
I feel as though Appomattox winning 3 of the 4 last state titles would be the Goliath even with Graham being defending state champions.Graham is a #3 seed while the others left are all #1s I believe. Graham is definitely David in this analogy.

I agree. Graham lost the offensive and defensive player of the year in Cam Allen (now at Purdue) and playing as a true freshman. They are a 3-seed, on the road. Appo is the favorite.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Its everything you want in a high school state game ! Should be a great atmosphere at the Bragg . Coach Bragg will be smiling down ! Both teams have been consistent in 2A now for many years . Go raiders

I’d like to think Coach Carlock & Coach Bragg will be watching together discussing the finer aspects of the game cheering on their respective teams! With that said, Go GMen!

I dunno about low scoring. Both these teams can put up points quick. Graham is a true quick strike threat. Don't get down 14 bc if you do, it can turn into 28 quick. Appo is a very consistent offense that stays ahead of the chains and maybe doesn't have as many 60+ yard plays but has a ton of 20+ yard plays.
both teams have very athletic and fast secondaries. Graham hasn't seen a secondary like Graham since Bluefield. If Lester isn't careful, Appo will snag one and take it to the house. Same goes for Appp, Lester is lurking back there and if he gets hands on ball, look out.

Appo is very physical too, but Graham dealt with a very physical Union team and a physical Wise team pretty well.

Ill predict here like I did on other board: if it's over 50 total points, Graham wins. Under, Appo wins.

I also don't like to see QBs playing defense.

I wish this game was at Graham. No offense to the good people of Appomattox, but Graham has better field, better parking and better concession stand.

That's unfortunate. 2019 and a complex doesn't have adequate seating for those that are handicap. Shame on Appomattox and the VHSL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT