ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna

HokieTDTech

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2012
Will this be the first time in school
History the boys basketball team to go 0- for whatever ? That's a shame for once a proud program .

It is looking that way, but in reality, not much difference between 0-19 or 1-18. Some good young talent in program, but can we take advantage ?

Somebody got to do something . Well you look at Chatham , Tunstall there just as bad . DR is the only team in Pittsylvania County That's actually competitive . I would definitely say pittsylvania County has tons of athletes .

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Somebody got to do something . Well you look at Chatham , Tunstall there just as bad . DR is the only team in Pittsylvania County That's actually competitive . I would definitely say pittsylvania County has tons of athletes .
Chatham is not a pushover team. They scrappy and make you play out of your game. They play until the 4th qtr buzzer sounds.

Gretna has a PG that handles ball well but they lack a TAKE CONTROL big man. Von Bennett type of player. They got one kid that is huge, but he dont get much PT.

They lack a consistent shooter as well.

According to some on here, it's the players and their lack of talent at Gretna. Coach has nothing to do with it. I haven't seen Gretna play basketball in 10 years but I'd have to lay some of the blame at the coach's feet, regardless of talent.

I would agree with that as well Gtown! There is no reason why Gretna should be struggling like they are . I know there's a lot of talent there .

I didn't see Gretna this year, but saw them a couple of times the previous couple of years. In my opinion, coaching has A LOT to do with their struggles.

Gretna has a good coach in Beard, but he doesn't fit in Gretna. He's a great person but sometimes your system just doesn't fit the program. I honestly thought he'd have some great years in Gretna and then come home to GW to take over their program, I won't count him out, but I don't think Gretna is the right place for him. Beard and I are good friends and some of his plans just doesn't fit Gretna...Not because he's a bad coach, but because Gretna is a football first school and doesn't fit the players he has in his system. Let's be honest, Gretna isn't what they were 3 years ago. They've had 2 disappointing football seasons, including a 1-9 year in 2014. Not a knock on their program, it's just a down time. GW went through it in 2010-2012 and even Martinsville was down for a little while this decade. It happens. Gretna, like Martinsville, represents winning. When Gretna is winning, I don't think anybody in the state wants to play those guys. They'll be back.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Chatham isn't that bad. Like Advocate said, at least they play all 32 minutes and have been competitive. Gretna and DR are going to be Gretna and Dan River....WIN. But Tunstall being the biggest school in Pittsylvania County and just get pushed around by all of the county schools is just ridiculous. They should be the most competitive team in the county. As an Tunstall alum, I'm embarrassed because it's a difference in going through a couple "rebuilding" seasons, but when you go year in and year out getting whipped by Gretna, getting bashed by Dan River, GW manhandling you, Martinsville pretty much playing their kids over at Albert Harris Elementary and still bashing you by 40...It's really a shame. Pittsylvania really does have some really good athletes.

These days, except for a couple exceptions, all high school sports in Pittsylvania are terrible. DR is good in football , basketball, softball and baseball and Tunstall baseball is good. That's about it. Not enough emphasis is placed on sports in most of the county. This starts at youth league level and goes up. Most facilities are among the worst in the state.

Gretna has a good coach in Beard, but he doesn't fit in Gretna. He's a great person but sometimes your system just doesn't fit the program. I honestly thought he'd have some great years in Gretna and then come home to GW to take over their program, I won't count him out, but I don't think Gretna is the right place for him. Beard and I are good friends and some of his plans just doesn't fit Gretna...Not because he's a bad coach, but because Gretna is a football first school and doesn't fit the players he has in his system. Let's be honest, Gretna isn't what they were 3 years ago. They've had 2 disappointing football seasons, including a 1-9 year in 2014. Not a knock on their program, it's just a down time. GW went through it in 2010-2012 and even Martinsville was down for a little while this decade. It happens. Gretna, like Martinsville, represents winning. When Gretna is winning, I don't think anybody in the state wants to play those guys. They'll be back.
As a coach of the a team that played against Gretna I can honestly say that they are better than their record indicates. We were just able to squeak past them in the Halifax Tournament this year, and we were able to win our conference championship. Gretna was a game we should have lost. From my understanding, he has a very young team. I think that people have to be patient and understand that Rome wasn't built in a day. Plus, running any high school program is not about wins or losses but developing young men and women. At the end of the day, if they are better prepared for life through sports, you have accomplished your goal. Besides, how many of us have multiple state championships, have had numbers Div I colleges recruit us, and have played successfully in the NBA. Yes, I tell my guys when the ball is tipped my main goal is to win the game, but it's between those ball tips where life actually begins. I have only talked with Gretna's coach briefly, but I feel that he will develop a great program there. Just give him time and the chance for the kids there to buy into his system.

As a coach of the a team that played against Gretna I can honestly say that they are better than their record indicates. We were just able to squeak past them in the Halifax Tournament this year, and we were able to win our conference championship. Gretna was a game we should have lost. From my understanding, he has a very young team. I think that people have to be patient and understand that Rome wasn't built in a day. Plus, running any high school program is not about wins or losses but developing young men and women. At the end of the day, if they are better prepared for life through sports, you have accomplished your goal. Besides, how many of us have multiple state championships, have had numbers Div I colleges recruit us, and have played successfully in the NBA. Yes, I tell my guys when the ball is tipped my main goal is to win the game, but it's between those ball tips where life actually begins. I have only talked with Gretna's coach briefly, but I feel that he will develop a great program there. Just give him time and the chance for the kids there to buy into his system.
I question off season? Is there a AAU team, do the players play on a AAU team?

From what i saw, they young and lack a quality Center and Forward. Something that plagued Appo 2 years ago and years prior. Now we have a consistent threat from inside. Its hard to play basketball when there no one to bang at boards or score from inside.

I question off season? Is there a AAU team, do the players play on a AAU team?

From what i saw, they young and lack a quality Center and Forward. Something that plagued Appo 2 years ago and years prior. Now we have a consistent threat from inside. Its hard to play basketball when there no one to bang at boards or score from inside.
Granted, having solid post play is extremely helpful, but if you are able to develop dominating guards that can shoot and penetrate you can be be successful as well. Your post guys will just compliment that. In high school basketball guard play is significant. He seems to be going in the right direction with the guard play.

I think that people have to be patient and understand that Rome wasn't built in a day.......Just give him time and the chance for the kids there to buy into his system.

This was his 7th year at Gretna. Go winless. Evidently the kids aren't buying into his system.

Gretna had a 6-5 big man sitting on bench all of the season. He probably did not play 20 minutes all year in 20 games. If a team has a big man, develop him. even if all he does is occupy space under the basket.

Gretna has never had a losing season in basketball until he took over 7 years ago . At some point you got to get better but they keep on getting worse . You win 1 game in two years it not all on the players .

Gretna had a 6-5 big man sitting on bench all of the season. He probably did not play 20 minutes all year in 20 games. If a team has a big man, develop him. even if all he does is occupy space under the basket.
I seen that guy and wondered same thing. He is the biggest boy in the gym when Appo plays them. I asked the asst coach about him last night. He said this is his 1st yr playing bball and he is a senior. He said his footwork need ms work because he will walk. They put him in last night and I thiught he did well, but they jerked him out quick. He did have a pretty excessive Over The Back foul though.

Well said sir. Good luck to to you and your Bluestone Barons in these playoffs

Yes, his statement was well said. And I agree about instilling in young people values and making them better people. That's what we do with our cross country runners. But in basketball, at some point you have to look at wins-losses. I know MaxPreps doesn't have all the W/L's on their site but in his 7 seasons, they have Gretna's record at 26-81....if someone can give the actual, please do. In that same time span, they have Nelson County at 41-82. We all know your buddies with Beard so of course you're going to support him. But he's got to do something different because evidently his style isn't working or he isn't getting it through to these young men in a good enough fashion. May be an awesome guy and a good coach but I believe he needs a change of scenery.

Well stated!

If they can't do any better then that they need to get rid of the AD because the sports at Gretna right now are awful .

IF YOU THINK BEARD IS ACTUALLY A GOOD COACH THEN YOU ALSO PROBABLY BELIEVE IN THE TOOTH FAIRY AND SANTA CLAUS............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT