ADVERTISEMENT

GW 54 Patrick County 14

I love and have been supporting GW for 19 years now. This wasn’t a good bounce back win lol.. If we happen to beat Halifax, Magna Vista, and a couple of teams in November then we (GW fans) can talk our talk. Speaking for myself, I hate this mentality of playing inferior competition and praising mediocrity. I know GW was up 41-6 at one point but come on man... Patrick County has a couple of very good player and they play hard..I’m an advocate for area sports but GW has no business playing Patrick County at all in the first place. I’m far from a negative person but facts remain. I know Lee Davis is a member of 4A and the Capital District.. They don’t play Varina or Highland Springs in football.. GW needs this waiver and take Martinsville and Patrick County off of their football schedule.

I love and have been supporting GW for 19 years now. This wasn’t a good bounce back win lol.. If we happen to beat Halifax, Magna Vista, and a couple of teams in November then we (GW fans) can talk our talk. Speaking for myself, I hate this mentality of playing inferior competition and praising mediocrity. I know GW was up 41-6 at one point but come on man... Patrick County has a couple of very good player and they play hard..I’m an advocate for area sports but GW has no business playing Patrick County at all in the first place. I’m far from a negative person but facts remain. I know Lee Davis is a member of 4A and the Capital District.. They don’t play Varina or Highland Springs in football.. GW needs this waiver and take Martinsville and Patrick County off of their football schedule.
Can’t argue with facts bro.

It was the first time GW has given up more than one TD vs Patrick in 6 years. GW’s AD (Jonathan Fain) needs to figure out how to get Patrick and MVille off the schedule or at least one of the two. I’d rather have GW have more practice vs harder teams going into the playoffs rather than just having two easy weeks where we risk big time players getting hurt for no reason.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Franklin Co left the Piedmont to go play in Roanoke, why doesnt GW petition the VHSL to play in the Seminole. Not only PC and Martinsville but the Eagles have no business playing Tunstall most years. Heck for that matter Bassett either.
Our case to get into the Seminole would be much more difficult from a geography standpoint. The VHSL has made no secret that they are fond of compact and contiguous districts.

If we were in the Seminole that means Halifax County would have to drive through a Seminole area (Danville) to access ALL of their Piedmont opponents. Tunstall would also be in the geographic footprint of the Seminole, buy playing in the Piedmont.

And seriously---football is the only sport where being in the Seminole would be clearly advantageous for GW.

Don't get me wrong---I would MUCH rather have the tough schedule that Seminole teams play...but the cards are stacked against us.

Our case to get into the Seminole would be much more difficult from a geography standpoint. The VHSL has made no secret that they are fond of compact and contiguous districts.

If we were in the Seminole that means Halifax County would have to drive through a Seminole area (Danville) to access ALL of their Piedmont opponents. Tunstall would also be in the geographic footprint of the Seminole, buy playing in the Piedmont.

And seriously---football is the only sport where being in the Seminole would be clearly advantageous for GW.

Don't get me wrong---I would MUCH rather have the tough schedule that Seminole teams play...but the cards are stacked against us.
I think Halifax would benefit from being in the Seminole more than GW would. They have a solid athletic program across the board. It would be nice to see GW and Halifax join the Seminole, Rustburg goes to the Dogwood and Dan River & Chatham joins the Piedmont. It’s a win win for all involved.

I think Halifax would benefit from being in the Seminole more than GW would. They have a solid athletic program across the board. It would be nice to see GW and Halifax join the Seminole, Rustburg goes to the Dogwood and Dan River & Chatham joins the Piedmont. It’s a win win for all involved.
Now you have to get all those teams to agree.

Easy Peasy. :)

To clarify the GW JV game Jeb Burns went out of the game on the 3rd play and did not return he rolled his ankle GW best two running backs were lost one with a broken arm and one with a broken finger That killed the Eagles

Seminole wants no part of GW boys basketball
Most years Glass and Heritage can compete with GW. 2015 was the first year I’ve ever seen GW lose to Glass in basketball. LCA has competed with and beat GW before in basketball. JF is 2-1 against GW in the past 2 years. GW could still schedule Martinsville for OOD which is a big game for the whole area.

Martinsville needs to reevaluate their schedule. Playing in a 4A-3A district with the exception of Patrick Co is killing the Dogs in most all sports except b-ball. With only 550 kids in school ( according to an administrator last night) it is getting harder and harder to field competitive teams against the likes of GW, Halifax, MV and so on. It is a testament to Coach Martin to have the numbers he's had this year. About 45% of his varsity team this year had never stepped on a football field as a jv or varsity player until this year. Football is a numbers game and we're running out of numbers here in town.

Martinsville needs to reevaluate their schedule. Playing in a 4A-3A district with the exception of Patrick Co is killing the Dogs in most all sports except b-ball. With only 550 kids in school ( according to an administrator last night) it is getting harder and harder to field competitive teams against the likes of GW, Halifax, MV and so on. It is a testament to Coach Martin to have the numbers he's had this year. About 45% of his varsity team this year had never stepped on a football field as a jv or varsity player until this year. Football is a numbers game and we're running out of numbers here in town.
Crazy but so true. 550 students??????? Jesus! When I was in high school (graduated in 2012) you were over 750, close to 800 when I was in middle school. Dawgs are going to be very hard to beat in basketball this winter. Unfortunately, John Marshall looks like a lock to win 2A but I’ve seen the Dawgs slay giants before.

To clarify the GW JV game Jeb Burns went out of the game on the 3rd play and did not return he rolled his ankle GW best two running backs were lost one with a broken arm and one with a broken finger That killed the Eagles
Jeb (Byrnes) sprained his ankle pretty bad.

I wont tell you when I was in hs but Martinsville had about 1450 students and played in the old Western Valley district against GW , Glass, and the rest. Martinsville has no middle class anymore, all retirees or low income families is all that's left. It's very sad but it is what it is. As far as bball I hope all the basketball players that are playing football, and that's everybody but Jaheim, get mysteriously sick before the last football game. Dont need to get anyone else hurt. Already lost our 6'5" backup center to a ACL injury.

I would like to see GW play a Seminole schedule in football and basketball, but I don't think being a full member for other sports makes sense. I don't like the idea of moving Rustburg because they were a charter member of the Seminole if I'm not mistaken. If anybody moves into the Seminole I would think Appomattox would make more sense. (they were a member in the past, I realize this doesn't help GW or Halifax for that matter)

I would like to see GW play a Seminole schedule in football and basketball, but I don't think being a full member for other sports makes sense. I don't like the idea of moving Rustburg because they were a charter member of the Seminole if I'm not mistaken. If anybody moves into the Seminole I would think Appomattox would make more sense. (they were a member in the past, I realize this doesn't help GW or Halifax for that matter)
I agree Mike. Geographically, it would make more sense for Halifax to be in the Seminole. Lynchburg is about 60 miles from the school which is closer than Martinsville and the other 2 Henry County schools. Add 15 minutes to your trip for Amherst and 20 for Liberty and you’re still much much closer than going a long 90 miles to Stuart (Patrick County).

It would be nice. Hard to believe that in the late 70's early 80's the Foothills was born out of desperation of the Henry Co schools to avoid playing Martinsville in football. Now they cant line up fast enough to play the Dogs. Seems like we are everybody's homecoming game now!

I always thought Martinsville to Dogwood made sense.

In a few years Mecklenburg will have one hs that should be 4A in size. That's about 30-40 minutes for Halifax and just over an hour or so for GW.

I heard that the running back Penn from Patrick County is really good. Is that true?
Shame he has to play for such weak team.
You heard right. Kid is built like Ramsey, not as fast of course. Only a junior. They also have Bryson Fulcher who is the best linebacker in the Piedmont. Kid is very good and should play on Saturday’s for someone’s college. Patrick has improved a lot but should not be playing GW.

GW and Halifax needs a thread. Gonna be a good one Friday. Glad my team finally has an off week so I can check the boys out.
I learned my lesson making GW threads around here Coach :confused::eek:o_O;):(

Btw, I saw you said you knew me back in the Summer when I got blamed for being you on one of the threads :rolleyes: DM me on Twitter, love to catch up!

Reactions: ForTheKidz
I learned my lesson making GW threads around here Coach :confused::eek:o_O;):(

Btw, I saw you said you knew me back in the Summer when I got blamed for being you on one of the threads :rolleyes: DM me on Twitter, love to catch up!
Your dad and I go back to the Almagro days. He and I was in the same class at Taylor and Bonner until I moved to the county our last year of junior high. We used to call your dad Rick Flair back in the day. Good times.

Your dad and I go back to the Almagro days. He and I was in the same class at Taylor and Bonner until I moved to the county our last year of junior high. We used to call your dad Rick Flair back in the day. Good times.
That’s love brother! DM me on Twitter or Facebook.. Don’t want any creeps stalking us :confused:

Reactions: LionNation540
You heard right. Kid is built like Ramsey, not as fast of course. Only a junior. They also have Bryson Fulcher who is the best linebacker in the Piedmont. Kid is very good and should play on Saturday’s for someone’s college. Patrick has improved a lot but should not be playing GW.
Best linebacker in the Piedmont?
Just wondering what you are basing this statement off? There are some pretty good LBs in the Piedmont this year...jw

Best linebacker in the Piedmont?
Just wondering what you are basing this statement off? There are some pretty good LBs in the Piedmont this year...jw
He is a 2X All Region Linebacker. Probably the best pure football player Patrick County has had since John Harris. I like the LB group Magna Vista has and I think Bassett’s is solid as well. GW has the most potential as they start 2 sophomores who are going to be very good.

I agree about him being the best LB in the Piedmont.
No Doubt he is def the man! But the piedmont has lots of teams from lots of regions...like PC is from 2C and so is Mville. But Bassett, MV, and Tunstall are 3D then you have Halifax 5D and GW which is 4D. So just because he was all-region in 2C does not make him the best in the Piedmont. Not taking away from the kid...he is def a player.

No Doubt he is def the man! But the piedmont has lots of teams from lots of regions...like PC is from 2C and so is Mville. But Bassett, MV, and Tunstall are 3D then you have Halifax 5D and GW which is 4D. So just because he was all-region in 2C does not make him the best in the Piedmont. Not taking away from the kid...he is def a player.
Halifax is 4D now, but I understand what you're saying.

I get what you’re saying. I think as far as experienced linebackers go I’d place Fulcher & Kevon Smith at Bassett at the top. Magna Vista has two good LBs in Dorian Green & Trimon Holland that I think make up the best tandem this year. Worm Poole & Shyheim Watlington is going to be the top dogs the next two years... Last year it was all Carl Poole and Ty Wingfield (Franklin County).. They both could’ve been Co-Defensive Piedmont Players of the Year.

Brandon Davis of Halifax is a Blue Grey All American Bowl invitee, and 4 year starter. He doesn't get noticed much, but i believe he's been all region at the 5A level as both a TE and LB. I'm told his 4 year total tackles should end up in the 300-350 range.

Brandon Davis of Halifax is a Blue Grey All American Bowl invitee, and 4 year starter. He doesn't get noticed much, but i believe he's been all region at the 5A level as both a TE and LB. I'm told his 4 year total tackles should end up in the 300-350 range.
Halifax has a couple of mean LBs. Zyon Wilson is big and aggressive too. He is probably a little faster and more punishing than the big Patrick County RB. Halifax has looked good so far, I think they will give GW trouble Friday.

Last edited:
Halifax to the Seminole District would certainly be interesting. Halifax isn’t exactly the a powerhouse over one sport, but pretty balanced overall. The old basketball rivalry with Glass would be pretty epic. Baseball/Softball season would be pretty interesting indeed. With Park View/Bluestone combining (which I see a great rivalry with Halifax forming with that ) they’ll probably be added to the 4D region to help balance it out. The problem is would the be in Tri-Rivers or James River District? Perhaps Patrick County moves to Tri Rivers and The PV/BS moves to the Piedmont, so the district just shifts about 30 minutes East

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT