ADVERTISEMENT

GW 55 Halifax 14 halftime

Second largest amount of points scored in a seventy nine game rivalry says something about something.

Second largest amount of points scored in a seventy nine game rivalry says something about something.
Sure it does. For anybody not watching they might even attribute some of that something to GW as opposed to the more plausible reason that Halifax is historically bad. Just to be clear, the Halifax assessment is from several former Western District and Piedmont District coaches. Karma coming home for Senseney from his Gretna days maybe?

Talent wise. Halifax and Mecklenburg are top 5 worst teams in C4. GW is in the top 10. Nothing to see here.

Talent wise. Halifax and Mecklenburg are top 5 worst teams in C4. GW is in the top 10. Nothing to see here.
I think GW is better than that but, not sure how much better. I feel bad for the kids and to some extent the coaches as well. Over the last two years with construction they have been confronted with challenges that any high school team would have a tough time overcoming. They have been poorly served by the powers that be, IMO. This, in my opinion, is a Danville issue, specifically school leadership and city government.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think GW is better than that but, not sure how much better. I feel bad for the kids and to some extent the coaches as well. Over the last two years with construction they have been confronted with challenges that any high school team would have a tough time overcoming. They have been poorly served by the powers that be, IMO. This, in my opinion, is a Danville issue, specifically school leadership and city government.
GW has talent but to your point, a lot of those circumstances have not helped. Even with the construction, we should be a lot better and should certainly not beat inept teams like Halifax and Martinsville and beat our chests. Realistically, GW should never have down years against the teams they play.

I know this is a contentious thread, but don't look now with two wins GW will finish at 6-4 and could make the playoffs as an eight seed. I know that may be a consolation prize; however, it could create some positive vibes going into next season. Anything to lift this young teams spirits would be good for everybody. Who knows you might catch JF or Salem sleeping and looking ahead. Go Eagles!

Last edited:
I know this is a contentious thread, but don't look now with two wins GW will finish at 6-4 and make the playoffs as an eight seed. I know that may be a consolation prize; however, it could create some positive vibes going into next season. Anything to lift this young teams spirits would be good for everybody. Who knows you might catch JF or Salem sleeping and looking ahead. Go Eagles!
I highly doubt they catch either one sleeping but anything can happen on a Friday night

I believe GW has a shot, because the Northwest teams slightly above them have to play one another. James Wood has Liberty and Millbrook, Handley has Millbrook and Sherando, Liberty has just James Wood and Sherando has just Handley left. Orange out of the Jefferson has Monticello and Charlottesville. They will likely finish 5-5. GW with a 6-4 record and a few needed rider points may just slip in. @tommythecpa, I project GW will get 10-11 additional rider points. You have anything different?

Last edited:
If GW finishes 6-4, would they be able to pass a 5-5 Sherando or Handley in the point standings?
I just did the math @tommythecpa I have GW getting 52 points with their next two wins and 10 additional rider points for 230. That will put them at 230/23.0 and likely a 7 seed. They have a slight chance of catching Sherando if they lose to Handley but no chance of catching Handley. Even with two losses their Rider points gained in the next two weeks will keep them ahead.

I just did the math @tommythecpa I have GW getting 52 points with their next two wins and 10 additional rider points for 230. That will put them at 230/23.0 and likely a 7 seed. They have a slight chance of catching Sherando if they lose to Handley but no chance of catching Handley. Even with two losses their Rider points gained in the next two weeks will keep them ahead.
I hope you are right but I question the 52 points for winning. I see 50. My calculations are 22 for a win this week, 20 for a win over 3A Tunstall plus 8 bonus points.

Is Mecklenburg 5A? I know there is some debate. When the school opened it was assumed they were 4A but then rumors started circulating that they had 5A numbers but because of their geographic location and the fact that they were new, the VHSL was allowing them to compete as a 4A school. I'm not sure I ever believed that but to this day that rumor persists.

I hope you are right but I question the 52 points for winning. I see 50. My calculations are 22 for a win this week, 20 for a win over 3A Tunstall plus 8 bonus points.

Is Mecklenburg 5A? I know there is some debate. When the school opened it was assumed they were 4A but then rumors started circulating that they had 5A numbers but because of their geographic location and the fact that they were new, the VHSL was allowing them to compete as a 4A school. I'm not sure I ever believed that but to this day that rumor persists.
50 for the next two weeks.

50 for the next two weeks.
If they win the next two weeks they will get 44 points straight up. Even though Tunstall is a class three team and you get 20 points they also get the additional classification 2 points that equal 22. They cannot get less than 22 period. They also get two points for every Tunstall win plus the additional rider points from opponents in the next two weeks. I think it will be 8 and they will finish with 52. Rider points are the only debate here. Look in the sticky threads above it will explain the points system.

Mecklenburg is Class 4.

Lol. @rival hater, Orange could very well lose their next two games. I know @tommythecpa is a numbers man and dang good one too, but I think GW could very well surpass James Wood, Orange and Sherando (with a loss to Handley). They need win out and get some help with rider points in the next two weeks. There are some games that could go either way. There is still hope for your young men.

Thanks Bleeding Navy. Our critics will point to a weak district and I'll admit it isn't the best but we are a different team than the one that lost some of those early games. The young OL has matured and we've found an identity. If we can get in we will be a tough out for someone.

Thanks Bleeding Navy. Our critics will point to a weak district and I'll admit it isn't the best but we are a different team than the one that lost some of those early games. The young OL has matured and we've found an identity. If we can get in we will be a tough out for someone.
I said this in week one that I saw potential in this GW team. Against Dinwiddie the Eagles were a bit mismatched, but they added to the problem by shooting themselves in the foot. A few caught balls instead of dropped ones could have made a difference.

With the exception of Amherst most of GW's losses were to better opponents. They are winning the games they should and that's what it's about. Weak schedule or not. I don't think GW will do much in the playoffs, but getting back on the right track may get some of the detractors to be more realistic.

I am an outsider looking in, so I have no clue about the day to day operations. I do trust the Eagles faithful posters and respect their varied opinions.

I will give the GW fans something to think about. Dinwiddie had some good years (nothing like GW'S history) prior to Mills arrival, but the Generals fans had suffered horribly for about 6 years winning 1-2 games a season. Coach Mills came in (2005) and told the fan base he would put a good product on the field if we gave him time and support. With everyone staying positive, being patient, and coming together for the program/kids things slowly began to change. In three short years Navy Nation was born and we made it back to the Class 5 State Championship. Three state championship appearances (2 wins), five regional titles, and nine district titles since and we continue to strive to be the best. That goes for on the field, off the field, and in the classroom. If you don't believe me ask @BoKnowsSports and Chuck Vitterman. They have witnessed the effort, pride, and expectations of the game day operations crew and the rabid fans we have.

I am not saying this to brag. I have always admired the GW Program and the people who live in Danville. I spent a many summers there as a kid and fondly remember visits to the Dan River Queen, and minor league baseball games. You have all the resources (people) you need. Come together, raise money, upgrade the facilities, pay for summer camps, and most importantly quit bickering and let the kids know you love them win or not. Lastly, make sure you have a coach (Anderson may be the guy I don't know), who can build a program outside of the school. You have to create baby Eagles and keep them focused and out of trouble.

If the loyal fans lead by example the GW program can soar again. Good luck the rest of the season. I will be cheering you on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT