9/7 7:00 @ Jefferson Forest
9/21 7:00 @ Martinsville
9/28 7:00 @ Patrick County
10/5 7:00 Tunstall
10/12 7:00 @ Magna Vista
10/19 7:00 @ Franklin County
10/26 7:00 Bassett
11/2 7:00 Halifax County

Schedule Outlook: 2018 will be a very weak year in the Piedmont. Well Sports Head, the Piedmont is always weak.. Very true but it will be a new low in 2018. First 3 opponents could be playoff teams and I like the stretch that GW goes to the “Hole” and Franklin County in back to back weeks. Franklin County could possibly be the second best team in the Piedmont this year and Magna Vista always plays tough in the Hole. The rest of the Piedmont will be pretty bad. Tunstall and maybe even Bassett (Coach Johnson is doing big things) will be competitive for the first half, but won’t have the depth or firepower to hang with the Danville boys this year.

SportsHead says:
LCA W
Amherst W
@JF L
@Martinsville W
@Patrick County W
Tunstall W
@MV W
@FC W
Bassett W
Halifax W

#DanvilleProud

It'll be interesting to see how teams like Blacksburg, William Byrd, and Charlottesville reload after losing so much and how much teams like JF improve, also, if teams like Glass and GW can continue to make steps. Should be an interesting year in 4D.

Oh, and Salem is the favorite again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Danville’s defense will get a healthy Carl Poole and Quenton Elam back. They return Zi Gunter at outside LB and will use Shawn Watlington as a safety, now that we won’t solely depend on him for WR purposes. Secondary should be a lot better with Willie Edmunds (the Edmunds brothers’ 1st cousin) and Kendrell McClary (who are both big corners 5’11 170+). The secondary last year was sad so we can only go up. We will see. Gotta get better in the trenches or they will be out by the 3rd round. This GW team will either be legendary or a huge disappointment to us Danvillians.

Danville’s defense will get a healthy Carl Poole and Quenton Elam back. They return Zi Gunter at outside LB and will use Shawn Watlington as a safety, now that we won’t solely depend on him for WR purposes. Secondary should be a lot better with Willie Edmunds (the Edmunds brothers’ 1st cousin) and Kendrell McClary (who are both big corners 5’11 170+). The secondary last year was sad so we can only go up. We will see. Gotta get better in the trenches or they will be out by the 3rd round. This GW team will either be legendary or a huge disappointment to us Danvillians.

With what Danville has returning, and the multiplicity of athletes they have, there is definitely tons of potential and hype, and high expectations. They will be an exciting team to watch for sure. They beef up that D-Line, and get some chemistry on defense, they'll be tough!

I believe that this will be Glass’s year. They have the size, speed and Coach Woody has put his stamp on the program. Not saying that GW doesn’t have coaching, I believe Coach Nic Anderson is one of the best coaches in the state, but Glass has all the cards in the right place. I see them running the Seminole this year. They’ve taken the next step..

@DanvilleSportsHead I really hope the defense can get better in the trenches and in the secondary like you said the offense will be a lot better than last year! I would love to see a match up with Glass in the playoffs if we get that far! Those first 3 games will be tough!
Agreed 100% bro! Our offense will be a lot better. Not only a year older but Coach Graves, Anderson and Carnes has developed some really good playmakers on the middle school and JV teams that will be moving up to varsity. The Salem game really showed that we depended on Watlington for everything on offense..The cats we have coming up (Rahmel Goode,Dixon, Bottoms, and Edmunds) can flat out ball and will give us more versatility. I hear Wesley is getting bigger and stronger (recovering from a basketball injury), Watlington has added some muscle, and Los looks like he’s added about 10 pounds and he’s a legit 6’5 now. Offense will be immaculate and will be able to score on anybody in 4a. I’m worried about the other 10 on the defensive side of the ball. One thing on that side is for sure, Carl Poole Jr is a DOG and is the best defensive player in 4D now that Patterson has graduated. We need all 11 to buy in and be on the same accord.

Reactions: Lewis918777
I believe that this will be Glass’s year. They have the size, speed and Coach Woody has put his stamp on the program. Not saying that GW doesn’t have coaching, I believe Coach Nic Anderson is one of the best coaches in the state, but Glass has all the cards in the right place. I see them running the Seminole this year. They’ve taken the next step..
I hope you're right!

Both teams (Glass and Danville) will be very good.. IMO, Glass’s defense is in way better shape so I give them the edge..Say what you want, Glass was 2 big plays away from playing for the Regional Championship last November. They will be the team to beat in Region D.
I agree, a lot of people don't realize just how close Glass was to beating Blacksburg last year. If not for a herculean effort play by Cole Beck to chase down Tre Alexander and strip the ball (and another play that shall remain unidentified), I believe Glass wins that game. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

I agree, a lot of people don't realize just how close Glass was to beating Blacksburg last year. If not for a herculean effort play by Cole Beck to chase down Tre Alexander and strip the ball (and another play that shall remain unidentified), I believe Glass wins that game. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.
I watched the replay of that game awhile back and while it was competitive, Blacksburg clearly looked like the better team. They also had nearly double the yardage and 21 first downs compared to just 6.

I do think Glass was very good last year and will be very good again this year.

Reactions: VolNation85
What do y’all think about Franklin County in terms of being in the mix for the Piedmont? Franklin County has been improving every year since JR Edwards has been there, and the team was fairly young last year with only 8 Seniors. I know they lose Kaleb Smith and Shaun Manns, but could this be the year they make some noise in the Piedmont?

@DanvilleSportsHead 10-0 regular season. Anything else would be uncivilized!
JF scares me especially if GW doesn’t fix that defense. The GW offense will be way better than last year but if you have no defense, means nothing. Us GW fans will be very disappointed at anything less than a state semi appearance (I’ll go as far to say with what we bring back, we should come out of the West; though I like Glass too) this year. We bring a lot of hype this year..Gotta back it up.

What do y’all think about Franklin County in terms of being in the mix for the Piedmont? Franklin County has been improving every year since JR Edwards has been there, and the team was fairly young last year with only 8 Seniors. I know they lose Kaleb Smith and Shaun Manns, but could this be the year they make some noise in the Piedmont?
Just seen this! They’ll be GW’s strongest test in the Piedmont. They had a strong JV team and they are back to playing physical football. Franklin County and Salem (throw Pulaski in there too) always has the biggest and strongest linemen in the area. I believe Magna Vista will be pretty tough as well..They lack discipline but they’ll bring it.

Reactions: lyhsports
JF scares me especially if GW doesn’t fix that defense. The GW offense will be way better than last year but if you have no defense, means nothing. Us GW fans will be very disappointed at anything less than a state semi appearance (I’ll go as far to say with what we bring back, we should come out of the West; though I like Glass too) this year. We bring a lot of hype this year..Gotta back it up.

Yeah I hear you but theoretically GW should be "UP" this year. Should be 10-0 in the reg. We will see. Good luck to GW, you know I would like to see them do well. Not that I am a anti-Salemist or anything but I want to see a new team in the west this year prosper.

Yeah I hear you but theoretically GW should be "UP" this year. Should be 10-0 in the reg. We will see. Good luck to GW, you know I would like to see them do well. Not that I am a anti-Salemist or anything but I want to see a new team in the west this year prosper.
Danville should be in the contender category this year. We all kind of figured they were a year away last year. The explosive scoring had us Danvillians believing we could bring it home last year.. We were fooled. Just wasn’t prepared mentally to run with Salem. After we put the beat down on Amherst, we lost focus. Gave up on the run against Salem (Wes Graves had only 13 touches and had 75 yards).. Graves and Carl Poole should’ve at least had 20 carries each. Los was forced to do a lot and forced too many plays..Not his fault as Salem had a game plan to shut Watlington and Harris down. We put our defense in horrible position...I don’t believe the line play was that much of a factor like it’s made to be..Our secondary was probably just as worst as JF’s last year... I’ll go as far to say that Danville had the worst secondary in the 4D playoffs. Had a very young front 7 and they gotta beef it up this summer. I believe that this year’s team will have more expectations than the 2007 & 2015 teams. We haven’t had the dual threat caliber signal caller that we have in Poole since former Virginia Tech star Cam Martin back in 04.. Our 2 backup RBs (Carl Poole and Willie Edmunds Jr.) would probably start on 90% of the teams in 4a, they just happen to have Wesley Graves in front of them. Hopefully Wes will make a full recovery after breaking his ankle in basketball. Kid had interest from Clemson last year at this time but injuries has held him back. We’re hoping he has a strong junior campaign.. Played in 8 games and had 1300 yards rushing as a sophomore. Our defense is no where as good as those teams mentioned (2015 and 2007) at all, but we have pieces. I saw a lot of promise in the Salem and second Amherst game from our front 7. Ross and Ramsey did their usual damage but I was happy we contained them in the big plays. Secondary will be very young but no excuses... We have Shawn Watlington and he’s a year more experienced. He’s doing big things at camps and should have his fair share of offers this time next year. State championship or bust type of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT