ADVERTISEMENT

GW Danville vs EC Glass

lyhsports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 17, 2017
Lynchburg, Va
The Classic Rivalry is back! Gotta start this conversation early!

Both teams are looking solid and undefeated so far! I've seen both teams, and I might just give the edge to GW. Top to bottom they have some players! They also have seen the toughest opponents so far.

If Glass plays the way they played last night against Rustburg, they'll get smacked in the mouth! But I truly believe Glass will be ready for this game.

It's gonna be a great one! WHO Y'ALL GOT???

The Classic Rivalry is back! Gotta start this conversation early!

Both teams are looking solid and undefeated so far! I've seen both teams, and I might just give the edge to GW. Top to bottom they have some players! They also have seen the toughest opponents so far.

If Glass plays the way they played last night against Rustburg, they'll get smacked in the mouth! But I truly believe Glass will be ready for this game.

It's gonna be a great one! WHO Y'ALL GOT???
GW lost to Dinwiddie, but it should still be a great game. I got Glass.

GW’s defensive line is good enough to go head up with Glass’s offensive line and vice versa. Has GW’s linebacker and secondary unit improved since week 3? We’ll see. Kendrick and Foster brings by far the biggest challenge GW has seen since Akers and Horton last November, that didn’t go too well. Will Glass’s young linebackers and secondary be able to stop Wesley Graves? We’ll see. He’s playing like a mad man with 18 rushing touchdowns. Dinwiddie’s defensive line was really good, I expect Glass’s to be just as good or a tad bit better. Safe travels to Glass fans, prayers for good health, and may the best team win Friday.

Does Wesley Graves have any offers? He's about as hard nosed back as I've seen in a couple years. Hits the holes hard every play!

Graves could possibly give the Glass D some trouble. He’s been on a year this year!

This game will be a battle in the trenches!

I'm in "see it to believe it" with GW. They've got a 4-16 record in the last decade against VA teams with 9+ wins (we aren't there yet but forgive me for penciling Glass in for at least 9 wins this season), they just do not seem to respond well when truly tested. I'll be front and center Friday night if they pull this one off but until then I'm going to stick with Glass.

I'm in "see it to believe it" with GW. They've got a 4-16 record in the last decade against VA teams with 9+ wins (we aren't there yet but forgive me for penciling Glass in for at least 9 wins this season), they just do not seem to respond well when truly tested. I'll be front and center Friday night if they pull this one off but until then I'm going to stick with Glass.

Yes...GW is in need of a "signature" win. We've had some good ones in recent years...but nothing like this one would be.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
If we’re being fair, neither team has a signature win. Glass beat Heritage during their state championship year and GW beat Magna Vista during their two. I definitely respect your opinion though. I can see why GW would stand out more. Losses to Salem x2, Dinwiddie and Pulaski.

What are the keys to victory for both teams? I say the team that wins the turnover battle and the team that wins the battle between the GW o-line and the Glass D-line.

Keys for Glass:
Gang Tackle the Monster Graves
Feed Foster
Put pressure on Hairston

GW:
Attack the Glass Secondary and linebackers with passes
Keep fresh legs in the game aka Use Edmunds more
Contain Kendrick

Whoever wins the trench battle wins the game.

Keys for Glass:
Gang Tackle the Monster Graves
Feed Foster
Put pressure on Hairston

GW:
Attack the Glass Secondary and linebackers with passes
Keep fresh legs in the game aka Use Edmunds more
Contain Kendrick

Whoever wins the trench battle wins the game.
All of these things are true of course, but I would boil it down to:

Glass: contain Graves
GW: contain Kendrick

IMHO Glass defense will do a better job of containment than GW will.

I really feel like Glass is better up front on both sides of the ball. I would be very surprised to see GW win this one.

Last edited:
I really feel like Glass is better up front on both sides of the ball. I would be very surprised to see GW off a W in this one.
Just asking, have you actually seen GW up front? These aren’t the same guys who Salem played a few years back. I talked to a couple of coaches who were impressed how GW’s lines played against Pulaski and Dinwiddie, 2 very physical lines. Dinwiddie was really tough in the trenches led by the Jackson kid who is a big time D1 recruit. I don’t say this to debate or change your opinion but the line is actually why GW has a chance. Their smallest lineman is 6’1 260. I’d say that GW’s biggest weakness is that they have no kicking threat and their secondary is shaky. Amherst put up 29 and JF put up 21, which is the same number they put on Glass. These scores were set up either by special teams, immaculate field position or the young secondary just got beat. Also something to consider is the Braxton kid from JF put up 239 yards receiving on Glass. GW has a guy who’s really good named Shawn Watlington to throw the ball to. I’d say that whoever wins the linebacker/secondary battle wins. Who will stop Kendrick, Foster and Craighead at the second level? Who will stop Watlington, Graves, Edmunds at the second level?

Last edited:
Guess who it is?? I won’t be posting much but I’d like to wish my guys @lyhsports, @VolNation85 and @Hilltoperhokie a good game Friday. Nothing but respect for Glass and their fans. I’ve seen a lot of good points on this thread. I’ve seen GW live twice this year and haven’t seen Glass other than the Life Christian and Franklin County film.

GW’s defense will have to step it up Friday. 45, 29, 21 and 6 against Tunstall. Not good. The front 7 has improved but they’ll have to play lights out against Glass who has 5+ players who can take it to the house on any given play. The GW secondary is “shaky” but I like their effort to get better and improve. Justin Bethel and Zavion King has done well in their first year of playing CB but they have had their share of growing pains as well. Coverage is improving but I love that they love to hit and both can tackle. Safeties Shawn Watlington and Kendrell McClary will have to make better reads and be in position. It’ll be a long night if those two struggle.

Trench battle: Advantage Glass. Come on man.. Holden Akers, the best DL in Region D Holden Fretz, Jaiden Merrimen, etc. Now we have some DOGS too :) but those guys are really good! I really like GW’s defensive line though. Sophomore Donnovan Howard has been playing real good at DE, DT Tylee Myers is playing really well, DE Richard Jackson is probably the hardest worker on the DL, and Jalen Williamson is having a huge year at DT. They’ll have their work cut out but they are more than capable. GW’s o-line will shock some people. Experienced but they will go as far as George Jackson takes them. Kid is nasty and I really wish we would’ve had him against Dinwiddie (not saying it would’ve made a difference W/L but it would’ve helped us a lot!!!). Dinwiddie was a hell of team, so I hope that isn’t taken as a jab.

Lastly the skill position battle is going to be fun to watch. @mike salem eluded to GW containing Kendrick and Glass containing Graves. I totally agree but both teams have their own set of riches that both DCs BETTER be making adjustments for. GW will have to change it up. I shared with Vols that GW looks really good in the Wing T, which is how they scored on Dinwiddie. When it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I’m looking forward to this one Friday! Hope my guys can get over the hump and beat some teams come November. I’m really super proud of these boys man. Danville Strong!!!!

Last edited:
Just asking, have you actually seen GW up front? These aren’t the same guys who Salem played a few years back. I talked to a couple of coaches who were impressed how GW’s lines played against Pulaski and Dinwiddie, 2 very physical lines. Dinwiddie was really tough in the trenches led by the Jackson kid who is a big time D1 recruit. I don’t say this to debate or change your opinion but the line is actually why GW has a chance. Their smallest lineman is 6’1 260. I’d say that GW’s biggest weakness is that they have no kicking threat and their secondary is shaky. Amherst put up 29 and JF put up 21, which is the same number they put on Glass. These scores were set up either by special teams, immaculate field position or the young secondary just got beat. Also something to consider is the Braxton kid from JF put up 239 yards receiving on Glass. GW has a guy who’s really good named Shawn Watlington to throw the ball to. I’d say that whoever wins the linebacker/secondary battle wins. Who will stop Kendrick, Foster and Craighead at the second level? Who will stop Watlington, Graves, Edmunds at the second level?
I have seen them and I do think they are pretty good up front... much improved over a few years ago. I just think Glass is really good on both lines. My statement is more of an endorsement of Glass than thinking anything negative about GW. Fwiw, I think Glass is also better than Salem up front.

I have seen them and I do think they are pretty good up front... much improved over a few years ago. I just think Glass is really good on both lines. My statement is more of an endorsement of Glass than thinking anything negative about GW. Fwiw, I think Glass is also better than Salem up front.
I know this is the GW/Glass thread but what did you think about Blacksburg’s line Friday? I saw them last year and they were smaller than they were the previous year but those kids are well coached and play hard.

Reactions: lyhsports
I know this is the GW/Glass thread but what did you think about Blacksburg’s line Friday? I saw them last year and they were smaller than they were the previous year but those kids are well coached and play hard.
They are quite a bit down from the past couple of years, imo. Their line last year was not as good as the previous year but the drop to this year has been even bigger. The DL was very disruptive the past few years and really attacked off the ball they just don't have the same athletes this year. The OL is a combination of having some new starters and lacking size overall. They play hard and they are still better than a lot of other teams up front but not up to the standards they have previously had.

GW Starting DL are Jalen Williamson Tyler Myers
Glass and Davis also Strange comes in
Donavan Howard is a WR and DB

GW Starting DL are Jalen Williamson Tyler Myers
Glass and Davis also Strange comes in
Donavan Howard is a WR and DB
Correct. He’s more of a rover but comes off of the edge like a DE. He’s definitely more of a linebacker/DB than he is DE so my bad on the misconception. He, Worm and Shyheim are very good looking sophomores none the less. Donavan is the new star basketball player so hopefully he continues to come out for the football team.

Howard has been playing Football since 7th grade
He was top WR on JV team last year he got moved
Up to JV in 8th grade he plays Safety on Def an WR
On Off

Starting DW Def is

Jalen Williamson DL
Tylee Myers DL
Davis DL
Glass DL
Younger LB
Shy Watlington LB
Poole LB
Bethel C
King C
Shawn Watlington SS
McCleary FS

Howard SS
Baynes FS
Goode C

Howard has been playing Football since 7th grade
He was top WR on JV team last year he got moved
Up to JV in 8th grade he plays Safety on Def an WR
On Off
The sophomore class is looking good. Worm Poole had his first visit Saturday, Shy will be getting some offers this offseason, Donavan looks like he can step into Shawn’s role next year and Jeb Byrnes will be very special. Glass has a highly touted QB (George White) who we’ll be seeing Jeb battle the next couple of years.

Edit: that is if Shakobe is moved to his natural WR position next year.

Last edited:
The sophomore class is looking good. Worm Poole had his first visit Saturday, Shy will be getting some offers this offseason, Donavan looks like he can step into Shawn’s role next year and Jeb Byrnes will be very special. Glass has a highly touted QB (George White) who we’ll be seeing Jeb battle the next couple of years.

Edit: that is if Shakobe is moved to his natural WR position next year.
Will you be at the game on Friday DSH?

@lyhsports who do you have in the position battles? @one man I’d love to hear your take as well if you have time. I’ll go first.

QB-Glass. Shakobe Hairston is more of a game manager than a QB. He’ll play on Saturday’s as a WR or Safety. Dresean will too but Dresean is seasoned and is the top dual threat in 4A. He is also the top 2 best ATH in Region D along with Shawn Watlington.

RB- I’ll go with GW. Graves, Edmunds, and Watlington (out of the Wing-T) is tough to stop. Now Craighead and Foster are very very good but I’ll give the edge to GW.

WR- GW. I really don’t know what Glass has at WR but I’ll give GW the nod. Shawn Watlington, Shy Watlington, Kendrell McClary, Isaiah Pritchett.. I will say, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kendrick put up bigger numbers in the passing game.

O & D Line- Glass. GW has some horses and is not far behind but Glass is superior at this point. Holden Akers has 2 D1 offers and BJ Wheat has a D2. GW’s oline looks a little like this... 6’8 360 (McDuffie), 6’3 280 (Worsham), 6’4 285 (Jackson).. Throw in Jalen Williamson at 6’4 290 & Tylee Myers at 5’11 295. Probably will be the biggest line Glass sees. Can GW match the physicality will be the question to most.. I know they can, but they have to prove it to others.

Special teams: Glass. Goes without saying. GW has Edmunds and Watlington who are home run hittas in the return game but GW worries me in the kicking/defending punts and kickoffs.

Reactions: lyhsports
@lyhsports who do you have in the position battles? @one man I’d love to hear your take as well if you have time. I’ll go first.

QB-Glass. Shakobe Hairston is more of a game manager than a QB. He’ll play on Saturday’s as a WR or Safety. Dresean will too but Dresean is seasoned and is the top dual threat in 4A. He is also the top 2 best ATH in Region D along with Shawn Watlington.

RB- I’ll go with GW. Graves, Edmunds, and Watlington (out of the Wing-T) is tough to stop. Now Craighead and Foster are very very good but I’ll give the edge to GW.

WR- GW. I really don’t know what Glass has at WR but I’ll give GW the nod. Shawn Watlington, Shy Watlington, Kendrell McClary, Isaiah Pritchett.. I will say, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kendrick put up bigger numbers in the passing game.

O & D Line- Glass. GW has some horses and is not far behind but Glass is superior at this point. Holden Akers has 2 D1 offers and BJ Wheat has a D2. GW’s oline looks a little like this... 6’8 360 (McDuffie), 6’3 280 (Worsham), 6’4 285 (Jackson).. Throw in Jalen Williamson at 6’4 290 & Tylee Myers at 5’11 295. Probably will be the biggest line Glass sees. Can GW match the physicality will be the question to most.. I know they can, but they have to prove it to others.

Special teams: Glass. Goes without saying. GW has Edmunds and Watlington who are home run hittas in the return game but GW worries me in the kicking/defending punts and kickoffs.

QB - Glass. Kendrick is the most elusive athlete in 4D maybe even the whole state. He's also passing more efficiently this year.

RB- GW, Graves is hard to bring down, Edmunds is a good change of pace. Foster hasn't got going yet. Craighead has gotten the job done enough to keep some attention off Kendrick.

WR - GW, Just because of Watlington. He is a big play guy. Glass receivers can catch passes, but not big play guys yet. Watch out for DMoe Mosely though, He's going to break out.

Offensive LIne - Glass. A lot of experience playing against high level teams with physical Offensive lines. I know GW is just as big though. This will be the best matchup.

Defensive Line - Glass. Holden Fretz, Jadan Merriman have been tearing up backfields since they were freshmen. They made big plays in some big games in their sophomore years. Holden Fretz is the reigning 4D defensive player of the year. Add Holden Ayers, and they will be hard to handle. For GW, Williamson is a problem.

Linebacker - GW - I give Gw a slight edge.I liked what I saw in the Heritage scrimmage. Glass is progressing and getting guys at Outside linebacker up to speed. Hager will make his presence known Friday night if he plays.

Secondary - Tie - I know everyone is talking about the yardage Glass gave up vs GW, but Danteas Braxton is the fastest and the best receiver in 4D. Period. Glass has had some injuries at safety too. Glass has a lack of size and experience in the secondary right now, but are almost always in position to make the play. GW has some size and experience but tend to get beaten over the top as well. Both defenses want to stop the run and make you beat them by passing the ball anyway.

Special Teams - Glass. I'm surprised they haven't given up a kick return for a TD so far. Hope they keep it up. GW has given up a few. Special teams could be the difference.

Last edited:
QB - Glass. Kendrick is the most elusive athlete in 4D maybe even the whole state. He's also passing more efficiently this year.

RB- GW, Graves is hard to bring down, Edmunds is a good change of pace. Foster hasn't got going yet. Craighead has gotten the job done enough to keep some attention off Kendrick.

WR - GW, Just because of Watlington. He is a big play guy. Glass receivers can catch passes, but not big play guys yet. Watch out for DMoe Mosely though, He's going to break out.

Offensive LIne - Glass. A lot of experience playing against high level teams with physical Offensive lines. I know GW is just as big though. This will be the best matchup.

Defensive Line - Glass. Holden Fretz, Jadan Merriman have been tearing up backfields since they were freshmen. They made big plays in some big games in their sophomore years. Holden Fretz is the reigning 4D defensive player of the year. Add Holden Ayers, and they will be hard to handle. For GW, Williamson is a problem.

Linebacker - GW - I give Gw a slight edge.I liked what I saw in the Heritage scrimmage. Glass is progressing and getting guys at Outside linebacker up to speed. Hager will make his presence known Friday night.

Secondary - Tie - I know everyone is talking about the yardage Glass gave up vs GW, but Danteas Braxton is the fastest and the best receiver in 4D. Period. Glass has had some injuries at safety too. Glass has a lack of size and experience in the secondary right now, but are almost always in position to make the play. GW has some size and experience but tend to get beaten over the top as well. Both defenses want to stop the run and make you beat them by passing the ball anyway.

Special Teams - Glass. I'm surprised they haven't given up a kick return for a TD so far. Hope they keep it up. GW has given up a few. Special teams could be the difference.

If Glass is truly better on both lines, that would seem to settle things.

Imo it’ll be the biggest match up in the game. GW’s offensive and defensive line faired well against Dinwiddie who was pretty stout. Don’t know how Dinwiddie’s line matches up with Franklin County’s line who is pretty good as well. Glass dominated Franklin County so that tells you how good Glass is . I know you have your opinion about GW in the past, which I respect and agree with most of it, but I think you’d be impressed with the line play this year. I say that because it is much better than what you saw in 2014 and 2017. Emphasizing the weight room and getting aggressive/physical on the lines has been something that the staffs at GW and Glass is modeling from Salem.

I'm not giving Glass the advantage, and knocking GW at all. Their lines have impressed me since last year. They are a big improvement and will be a big challenge to Glass' lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT