ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Franklin Co

Lewis918777

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 3, 2007
Charlotte
GW will lose tonight 16-14 and this game will hurt!!! Hats off too the Franklin Co. defense!!!! If GW don’t right the ship don’t worry about us this year in the playoffs. But I still love my GW Eagles!!! Can’t understand our play calling at this point in the season.

Franklin County is extremely well coached and really has some players as well. They will keep getting better next year and then they have big time talent coming up from 8th and 9th grade in the future.

I mean, how? That’s a crazy upset
I can’t even begin to explain. TD called back on a mysterious flag that was never explained! GW offense couldn’t put together a drive all night. They just simply got out played. Franklin Co did an excellent job scouting us! GW at this point are pretenders! Still love my team but I can’t see us beating anyone in the playoffs

I can’t even begin to explain. TD called back on a mysterious flag that was never explained! GW offense couldn’t put together a drive all night. They just simply got out played. Franklin Co did an excellent job scouting us! GW at this point are pretenders! Still love my team but I can’t see us beating anyone in the playoffs
Not making excuses, but that was a pretty physical game they just played a couple days ago.. fatigue coulda played a part in that

Reactions: Lewis918777
What a great game. GW and the unstoppable offense got shutdown. Wow a true surprise!
Region 4D playoffs is going to be crazy.

Franklin County won fair and square. Their defense was the difference. Tough the turn around in three days to face a physical team, but FC had obviously done their homework.

Win the final two and see what happens.

Not to knock anyone or the kids from Franklin Co. but you can't judge these kids off this game. To go play an emotional game on Tuesday and come back and play on a Friday night is crazy. The VHSL or the AD should have move the game to Sat. they put those kids at risk for serious injury some adult should have step in and made that call. On top of that you have another team that's fresh because they have not played in 13 days.

Not to knock anyone or the kids from Franklin Co. but you can't judge these kids off this game. To go play an emotional game on Tuesday and come back and play on a Friday night is crazy. The VHSL or the AD should have move the game to Sat. they put those kids at risk for serious injury some adult should have step in and made that call. On top of that you have another team that's fresh because they have not played in 13 days.
Or one team could have agreed to forfeit the game that was played on Tuesday and all would have been good.

Franklin Co had some advantages before the game ever started: two weeks off to prepare (I am hearing a rumor that FC may play a make up game on Monday against Halifax, hoping that is not true), GW playing on a VERY short week, saying all that, FC defense got to the qb and covered the receivers, defense struggled when 15 ran the option on them, GW should probably have done more of that. FC offense was actually better than I have seen all year, they threw more passes and had good success through the air. Best of luck to GW in the weeks ahead. If FC can beat Tunstall next week this will be a good season by FC standards.

Reactions: mike salem
Franklin Co had some advantages before the game ever started: two weeks off to prepare (I am hearing a rumor that FC may play a make up game on Monday against Halifax, hoping that is not true), GW playing on a VERY short week, saying all that, FC defense got to the qb and covered the receivers, defense struggled when 15 ran the option on them, GW should probably have done more of that. FC offense was actually better than I have seen all year, they threw more passes and had good success through the air. Best of luck to GW in the weeks ahead. If FC can beat Tunstall next week this will be a good season by FC standards.
Game looks like it is scheduled for 10/29

So they would play Tunstall on Friday night, then have a game on Monday against Halifax. I am guessing the VHSL has no rule about number of days between games...that seems too short to me.

So they would play Tunstall on Friday night, then have a game on Monday against Halifax. I am guessing the VHSL has no rule about number of days between games...that seems too short to me.
The VHSL does not have any rules for days between games. Several teams have played 3 games in 7 days this yr. The home team can move the game to Saturday if they want to. Or One team can forfeit the Halifax game. If no one forfeits the game it has to be played by Tuesday of the first week of playoffs. If it’s not played then both teams will receive a loss for the game.

Reactions: VolNation85
Phoebus played 3 games in 11 days
October 2, 5 and 13. Won all three by the way

That is correct on both statements. It happens quite often actually. If a game had to be rescheduled, it most like will be rescheduled for a Monday. Regardless of when a game gets rescheduled, it will almost always cause one (or both) team(s) to have to play on a short week. Making it up during bye weeks is best case scenario but The odds of both teams having their bye weeks on the same week and on a date after the original scheduled game date is as likely as winning the current Powerball lottery. So makingit up on a Monday or Tuesday is really the only option. Both days allow for at least two days between games. Either Friday-Monday or Tuesday-Friday.

The other option is for both teams to take the game as a loss (literally) or one team to forfeit. But what Coach is going to do that?

This game is on wwcw5 right now (4:45) for anyone interested. Channel 5 locally in Roanoke. High School game of the week.

Halifax will be playing this coming Friday, then Monday October 29 against Franklin and then again Friday against GW. Franklin Co will have the benefit of another week off with their bye coming this week. I would like to see a schedule of Thursday, Tuesday, Saturday. At some point the adults should look beyond the advantages/disadvantages their teams may be facing and think of the risks of the very quick turn around. You would think VHSL would have some say, they govern and have so many other bylaws. That or in the future add a week in between regular season and first round.

Reactions: FCEagle90
Halifax will be playing this coming Friday, then Monday October 29 against Franklin and then again Friday against GW. Franklin Co will have the benefit of another week off with their bye coming this week. I would like to see a schedule of Thursday, Tuesday, Saturday. At some point the adults should look beyond the advantages/disadvantages their teams may be facing and think of the risks of the very quick turn around. You would think VHSL would have some say, they govern and have so many other bylaws. That or in the future add a week in between regular season and first round.
You will never see that schedule because no one goes to games on those days. Tuesday and Thursday are during the work week and Saturdays are for college football. Schools would not make any money with that schedule. And no matter what anyone thinks, school officials care about the almighty dollar when it comes to athletics.

Or just don’t play the game.

Then the players would potentially be eliminated from playoffs. How is that fair to them, especially seniors?
FC is already in the playoffs. GW Danville is also in the playoffs along with Magna Vista. So the seniors are not effected. Halifax is currently in 8th. They are the only team in jeopardy of missing playoffs

Last edited:
FC is already in the playoffs. GW Danville is also in the playoffs along with Magna Vista. So the seniors are not effected. Halifax is currently in 8th. They are the only team in jeopardy of missing playoffs

I don't know the story, but there is also the effect things like that could effect the teams chances in the playoffs. Use Salem as an example because I remember reading 3rd if win against Pulaski 6 if lose, so forfeit changes a lot.

I don't know the story, but there is also the effect things like that could effect the teams chances in the playoffs. Use Salem as an example because I remember reading 3rd if win against Pulaski 6 if lose, so forfeit changes a lot.
They are worried about players being injured and not prepared for the quick turnaround on some games that were moved due to the weather. If you don’t play the game both teams face the possibility of losing the game. If one forfeits then you don’t have to worry about the quick turnaround. Most of these teams are already in the playoffs. 1 or 2 rider points might change a position of a team in the playoffs. But I highly doubt it. I pointed out that Phoebus played 3 games in one week and they won all three. We as fans realize that their is a fallout for what happens in these games but if they are worried about kids safety then don’t play the games. Let’s things lineup after the decision.

So those teams that have secured playoff spots shouldn't be worried or bothered by moving the game. From what I'm being told is that both Franklin County and Magna Vista would not agree to any other dates against Halifax. If Halifax forfeits, they miss playoffs.

So those teams that have secured playoff spots shouldn't be worried or bothered by moving the game. From what I'm being told is that both Franklin County and Magna Vista would not agree to any other dates against Halifax. If Halifax forfeits, they miss playoffs.
Halifax chances of making the playoffs is slim to none considering that they have not beaten Magna Vista or Danville since 2005

That is a prediction. Numbers have not been calculated but the winner of that game will get a boost in the points standings.

That is a prediction. Numbers have not been calculated but the winner of that game will get a boost in the points standings.

Yes I know, you missed the point. If that game were cancelled, even though both are in the playoffs it would still effect them. So it's not as easy as saying they are both in playoffs so it doesn't matter

Yes I know, you missed the point. If that game were cancelled, even though both are in the playoffs it would still effect them. So it's not as easy as saying they are both in playoffs so it doesn't matter
Your looking too deep into my post. That was for the person who said that the seniors would miss the opportunity to play in the playoffs. I replied that it would not matter because they are already in. I agree with you tha it does matter for other teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT