ADVERTISEMENT

GW ? (What is a maroon?)

Rod for the win! Actually, I think the GW mascot is supposed to be a brownie, owing to the Scots-Irish heritage of the area.

A member of any of various communities in parts of the Caribbean who were originally descended from escaped slaves. In the 18th century Jamaican Maroons fought two wars against the British settlers, both of which ended with treaties affirming the independence of the Maroong

This is the legitimate definition of what our mascot is feel free to Google it and the little guy is a gnome/troll pointy hat and all lol

The name is simply after the color of the jersey. Nothing more, nothing less. Once upon a time, Mississippi St and Southern Illinois were also called "Maroons" for the same reason. It's not very imaginative, no, but it's unique enough to start threads in this day and age lol!

As far as the concept of the "Maroon Man", I have no idea who dreamed that up or what they were thinking with that. But at least my man is scowling and flexing those guns.

th
Guns out eh? :)

He was created by an art class student I'm not sure of the year but I do know that's how he came about and me personally I would rather go by The Mighty Maroons just sounds better lol

All good..... just seemed like a unique picture compared to the nickname... wasn't sure of the history.

Hey guys, the way GW athletes play in just about every sport, a Maroon can be what ever they want it to be in my book. I have the deepest respect for GW and I am just overwhelmed by their passion for the game. Gw_loyal and Blaster are two examples of diversity from GW, and those two dudes compliment each other so well. I am like Hampton Roads6 in that I thought they were sort of emulating VT, which is good in my book. As far as colors, we all know about THE REDS,THE BLUES, AND THE BROWNS, so why not THE MAROONS. Hey, what is the name of Adam Levine's band.........Maroon 5 ! OK GW, now you got a band named after YOU! Isn't life great!

Funny thing about our mascot, when the inception of the above figure was made the team actually started an on field mascot. My uncle was the first one to wear it because he was short and stubby. The mascot dissapered there for awhile and resurfaced around 2010 i believe. Call him what you want but that is a figure in SWVA sports. Just like nobody else has the monocker "Nasty Boys". That was a name we used during wrestling. Also havent heard GDUB Soldiers in awhile either. Our student section used that name in football and basketball.

The name is simply after the color of the jersey. Nothing more, nothing less. Once upon a time, Mississippi St and Southern Illinois were also called "Maroons" for the same reason. It's not very imaginative, no, but it's unique enough to start threads in this day and age lol!

As far as the concept of the "Maroon Man", I have no idea who dreamed that up or what they were thinking with that. But at least my man is scowling and flexingcoleman Shuler those guns.
The "Maroon Man" was devised by Coleman Shuler in 1964. He actually did the original art work that is the same today as it was back then. Coleman was a graduate of the 1965 class. Jack Kaylor was principal at the time and helped raise money for the mascot's image.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT