ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax 73 Martinsville 51

Sep 7, 2019
Martinsville’s Coach was pretty interesting to watch tonight.

After we went on a 19-4 run to start the game, and the ball hit one of the Martinsville players’ leg out of bounds. He didn’t think it was the right call and started yelling at the refs (That’s normal). He then grabs his seat off the ground a bit and acts like he’s about to throw it, and gets called on a tech (which led to more arguing).

I couldn’t tell what happened to start it later but in the 4th after a foul (I think it was a normal foul) he walked all the way to the other side of the court (opposite of the home team side) and starts yelling again, resulting in another tech. I didn’t see the last part but I think one of the players walked completely out of the gym after that (I believe that was the reason for the 4th tech for the Bulldogs)

Is this normal for them, or is just frustration from the game? (I’m trying to be respectful as possible; I’m just puzzled)

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned

After we went on a 19-4 run to start the game, and the ball hit one of the Martinsville players’ leg out of bounds. He didn’t think it was the right call and started yelling at the refs (That’s normal). He then grabs his seat off the ground a bit and acts like he’s about to throw it, and gets called on a tech (which led to more arguing).

I couldn’t tell what happened to start it later but in the 4th after a foul (I think it was a normal foul) he walked all the way to the other side of the court (opposite of the home team side) and starts yelling again, resulting in another tech. I didn’t see the last part but I think one of the players walked completely out of the gym after that (I believe that was the reason for the 4th tech for the Bulldogs)

Is this normal for them, or is just frustration from the game? (I’m trying to be respectful as possible; I’m just puzzled)
I used to play for Jeff Adkins.. Thats normal Jeff LOL!!!!

The first tech was because the refs missed a goaltending call. It was pretty blatant and he didn't get an explanation. The throwing of his jacket got him the tech. Hey, we all fall short. Ref had some patience too, because lesser known coaches would have gotten tossed. Martinsville went on a 7-0 run right after the technical too. Game never was out of hand for Halifax. They were just too deep. What confused me though was why the Niblett kid was playing 20 feet from the basket all night. Also, that #14 and #23 (?) for Halifax are an inside presence. Maybe Martinsville isn't as strong this year as some predicted.

Who predicted Martinsville to be strong this year? They lost 3 starters from last year, returned Niblett and Brandon and the other starters 1 was from the jv and the other 2 didnt play last year. Not a recipe for a "strong" team. With only a school enrollment of 560 or so the days of Martinsville reloading every year are over.

Who predicted Martinsville to be strong this year? They lost 3 starters from last year, returned Niblett and Brandon and the other starters 1 was from the jv and the other 2 didnt play last year. Not a recipe for a "strong" team. With only a school enrollment of 560 or so the days of Martinsville reloading every year are over.
I know I did. Brandon (who I’ve said countless times was the best player in 2A outside of the guys John Marshall has) hasn’t played well nor has Nibblett. Dan River is looking more and more like the favorite to come out of the West along with Radford.

I beg to differ. Troy and Jaheim just dont have alot to go with then. They have played fairly well just have to carry to much of the load. Jv team is pretty good they beat Halifax by 17 last night. They have decent size and talent. With the way enrollment is going the Dogs may be 1A in a few years unless city reversion wipes them out all together.

I beg to differ. Troy and Jaheim just dont have alot to go with then. They have played fairly well just have to carry to much of the load. Jv team is pretty good they beat Halifax by 17 last night. They have decent size and talent. With the way enrollment is going the Dogs may be 1A in a few years unless city reversion wipes them out all together.
As sad as it is, I expect Henry County to take over Martinsville City Schools and the Martinsville kids are broken up. East Martinsville to Magna Vista and West Martinsville to Bassett.

As sad as it is, I expect Henry County to take over Martinsville City Schools and the Martinsville kids are broken up. East Martinsville to Magna Vista and West Martinsville to Bassett.
I think they might keep Martinsville when they convert to town status since they had a $9 million renovation a few years ago. There’s also been talks for adding a community gym to the school grounds. They other schools would have to go under expansions to hold the kids, which could bump the schools up to 4a

No expansion would be necessary at MV and Bassett if they were to take city kids. The community gym thing will not happen unless someone in the city wins the Powerball and gives money for it. They've had meetings and are having a hard time acquiring funds for the gym. If the county takes over the city schools it will be a crapshoot on what will stay open. Alot of long time hard feelings between county and city schools. Martinsville will be around another 3-5 years and by then they may be 1A

The BTW21 guy tried to debate me after Tunstall beat Martinsville and tried to say it was a fluke. I believe Martinsville has superior talent to the area, but the kids just aren’t going all out for Coach Jeff. Now I love Jeff with all my heart but I hear a lot of people in the Martinsville/HCO area talk mad smack about him.. That foolishness is rubbing off on the kids. Jeff is a great guy. I played for him and we never had a cross word and he always treated me like I was a young man.. 8 years later, I respect the hell out of him for that and will til the day I’m gone from this earth!

I don’t know him personally of course but Martinsville has been consistently one of the best teams in Southwest Virginia and I have respect for him. Every school has a down year every now and again.

Halifax has had similar problems with the Rebuild/Renovate debate for over a decade now. Being a 4a school and costing upwards of $100 million to replace the school and football stadium will really hurt poor rural counties like us. We passed the 1% sales tax referendum during the last election cycle (something plenty of us have been pushing the past year) which will go in effect on July 1. I think many other counties in the area could benefit from it, and I’ve heard Mecklenburg County has been thinking of doing the same to pay off MCHS. I wish we would go ahead and do something (I’m a full supporter of tearing it down and starting from scratch because the layout of the school isn’t efficient at all) because it isn’t getting any cheaper.

I know Martinsville has been hit hard with the recession and it’ll be interesting on the town reversion process will effect the county as a whole

The Tunstall game was a "trap" game. The Dogs were going to Roanoke the next night to play Northside and they didnt take Tunstall seriously. Couldnt hit a shot early so the Trojans just packed it in and let the Dogs shoot. Also the Martinsville administration instituted a rule of their own that night that if you got a technical foul you had to sit the rest of the game. We lost Niblett 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter for hanging onto the rim on a dunk attempt. I dont believe in flukes and Tunstall earned the victory but losing your best player on something like that affected the other kids the rest of the night. About Coach, he has had his detractors from day 1. People want the Dogs to press full court and throw up shots every 10 seconds. You do have parents and others sitting behind the bench or elsewhere who are very vocal in their displeasure with the coaching. To me the kids are still playing hard for him, but the kids have to many people in their ears. Atkins has been to the final 8 every year he's been there and won 2 state championships. He's doing something right. If I had to listen to the stuff that's said to him during games, I would have quit years ago. Respect has left the building on Cleveland Ave.

The Tunstall game was a "trap" game. The Dogs were going to Roanoke the next night to play Northside and they didnt take Tunstall seriously. Couldnt hit a shot early so the Trojans just packed it in and let the Dogs shoot. Also the Martinsville administration instituted a rule of their own that night that if you got a technical foul you had to sit the rest of the game. We lost Niblett 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter for hanging onto the rim on a dunk attempt. I dont believe in flukes and Tunstall earned the victory but losing your best player on something like that affected the other kids the rest of the night. About Coach, he has had his detractors from day 1. People want the Dogs to press full court and throw up shots every 10 seconds. You do have parents and others sitting behind the bench or elsewhere who are very vocal in their displeasure with the coaching. To me the kids are still playing hard for him, but the kids have to many people in their ears. Atkins has been to the final 8 every year he's been there and won 2 state championships. He's doing something right. If I had to listen to the stuff that's said to him during games, I would have quit years ago. Respect has left the building on Cleveland Ave.
Coach is one of those guys who flat out don’t care what anybody thinks and I love it! He went at it with Monk Man a few years ago while coaching on the court. Jeff personifies what tough and gritty is! He’s the closest thing I’ve ever seen to Saban or Belichick.

I don’t know him personally of course but Martinsville has been consistently one of the best teams in Southwest Virginia and I have respect for him. Every school has a down year every now and again.

Halifax has had similar problems with the Rebuild/Renovate debate for over a decade now. Being a 4a school and costing upwards of $100 million to replace the school and football stadium will really hurt poor rural counties like us. We passed the 1% sales tax referendum during the last election cycle (something plenty of us have been pushing the past year) which will go in effect on July 1. I think many other counties in the area could benefit from it, and I’ve heard Mecklenburg County has been thinking of doing the same to pay off MCHS. I wish we would go ahead and do something (I’m a full supporter of tearing it down and starting from scratch because the layout of the school isn’t efficient at all) because it isn’t getting any cheaper.

I know Martinsville has been hit hard with the recession and it’ll be interesting on the town reversion process will effect the county as a whole

It seems sometimes these rural areas don't have the foresight...these buildings aren't going to stand forever and you can't always patch it up. Capital improvement plans need to be 15-20 years out with a strategic plan and funds. Definitely think it will be better for Halifax than the cons people may have lurking. Halifax County is in better position that some of the surrounding areas as far as rural areas are concerned.

Saw this exact same thing at their game the other night. Some guy was sitting behind the bench going crazy and yelling stuff to one kid, but the kid yelled back, "Coach told me not to!" That's right young man... listen to your coach. So many analysts and coaches in the stands...probably couldn't win the youth league championship if they had a team.

It seems sometimes these rural areas don't have the foresight...these buildings aren't going to stand forever and you can't always patch it up. Capital improvement plans need to be 15-20 years out with a strategic plan and funds. Definitely think it will be better for Halifax than the cons people may have lurking. Halifax County is in better position that some of the surrounding areas as far as rural areas are concerned.
I think M Ville has a community fund with the proceeds of the hospital sale a few years ago.
Is HC going to build a new school because of the asbestos?
There is a lot of land in the HS MS complex. Football stadium has needed an upgrade for 30 years. Saw the baseball field in Nov and it looked nice.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Community fund is not set up for projects like building a new gym. They would deem that to be a city school issue so they wouldn't provide funds for that. Short of a big donor coming in from nowhere I dont think the gym will be built. The idea should have been approached back in the late 70's early 80's when there was still big industry money around but hindsight is always 20-20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT