ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax????

Ampipe_High

VaPreps Rookie
Jul 27, 2020
Is anything going on down their to continue the improvement over the past few years or are they set up for a slide backwards? I know Coach Throckmorton resigned a few months back, but have not heard of interviews or a new hire. It seems a little late to be trying to hire a coach at this time. Out of division applicants will be tentative to apply because they would have to switch in the middle of the year and not many openings are available in the building. Any word on the interview process or timeline?

Also, I read reports that Halifax is not allowing any type of workouts or lifting for any sport as long as the division is 100% virtual. Isn't this putting teams at a severe disadvantage, not to mention potentially putting the athletes at risk for injury? If Halifax doesn't return to at least a hybrid setting until January, football players will be expected to compete in March with only 2 months of lifting/conditioning prior to playing and with 10 months of non-activity prior to that. To me, that just seems like you are setting the team up for failure and placing the athletes at a high risk of injury...especially when football has become a 12 month sport and all of your competitors have been lifting and conditioning.

On a side forum question...if they aren't blended by December, will Halifax forgo winter sports?

Even bigger divisions are allowing students to condition now with their coaches. Henry County is doing the same thing. It’s crazy. Those two school divisions need to get with the times. As bad as I want those schools to succeed year in and year out, I don’t expect much competition this year. GW will be lucky to make the playoffs if we’re doing PPs, which would be BS as they will be one of the better teams in 4D. I see Tazewell is playing Riverheads, hopefully GW can get a game with Franklin County or a NC school.

Want happen GW will have to play District
Schedule which is 6 games if they opt out
You make hole in another District teams schedule and they would have to find another
Game as far as NC for this year your probably
Gonna have a tough time crossing state lines
In a pandemic just the perception of tracing
They will just have to hope for the best

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Also GW school district is not allowing them to work out they also have an interim superintendent until Dec 1 so right now it’s
Hurry up and wait

I’m watching Liberty on ESPNU. Lynchburg is an hour away from Danville and SoBo but yet its a different world. That’s what happens when you have people who can think outside of the box and about progress. While only two of the schools in Danville are accredited and have MANY kids who are depending on playing sports this year, they are more concerned with renaming an Elementary School. Damn shame!

Reactions: btowenatc
I feel bad for the Danville boys. The higher ups are letting a lot of kids down.
All Pittsylvania County Schools are restarting workouts today for all sports. Halifax, GW and Martinsville city schools are not able to do any kind of conditioning. Are there any other school divisions not letting kids workout yet? Also, part of the problem is yet again, the VHSL. They have taken a back seat to all of this. Pittsylvania County schools submitted their plan to start out of season workouts during the summer and immediately started working out the following week. I thought you had to wait for approval from the VHSL????????? Their interpretation was that you merely needed to submit a plan even if it was completely wrong with regards to social distancing, screening etc.

Supposed to submit the plan. No universal approval mechanism back in July/August, outside of local school boards.

All Pittsylvania County Schools are restarting workouts today for all sports. Halifax, GW and Martinsville city schools are not able to do any kind of conditioning. Are there any other school divisions not letting kids workout yet? Also, part of the problem is yet again, the VHSL. They have taken a back seat to all of this. Pittsylvania County schools submitted their plan to start out of season workouts during the summer and immediately started working out the following week. I thought you had to wait for approval from the VHSL????????? Their interpretation was that you merely needed to submit a plan even if it was completely wrong with regards to social distancing, screening etc.
It’s the school division’s call after the plan is submitted. There is a 3- 4 week window where you can only do conditioning. If nobody within your camp is Covid positive, you can continue to the next stage. I saw one of GW’s star players say he was no where near last year’s max which is very concerning. It’s not the kids nor the coaches’ fault, it’s the division’s call. My expectations for DPS are the same as I have in the Easter Bunny.

• Haha
Reactions: btowenatc
If Halifax gets Cole Simpson from Gretna the program will take off.
Would be a great choice! I would’ve went after former Chatham coach, Matt Allen as well. Imagine Halifax slinging the ball around again. I remember back in 05 they came to Danville and beat GW throwing the ball. In ‘09, their QB had almost 500 yards passing against GW.

Halifax usually has way more players show up for the first week of practice than were in the summer program. That is probably due to the size of the County. It puts the program at a distinct disadvantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT