ADVERTISEMENT

Handley

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
Just saw that they lost to Clarke County 42-7 at the Handley Bowl. This is the same Eagles team that lost to Millbrook a week ago.

Are the Judges going to get a win this year? I can't recall a season that they've gone winless.

I was at the Handley game for the first three quarters. I can't recall seeing a Handley team this bad in the last 30 years. not to take anything away from Clarke County , they can run the ball fairly well for a 2A team, but Handley defense is just horrible. Handleys defensive line way larger than Clarke on both sides of the ball but just getting blown up.

Handley school population includes 36% latinos and majority does not play sports. Handley will only do well in country club sports ... Golf and Tennis.

Disagree! Sure Handley might have a higher than normal Latino population, but all schools have a certain amount of Latino population. Go to anywhere in the State, and there are all kinds of obstacles to overcome. Even if you take the difference away , that puts them right in line with clarke county school population. And Handley got trounced. Population and diversity of population has less to do with winning football games than coaching and off season programs. IMO . Everything isn't about how many kids are in your school. And Handley has the athletes.

John Handley football started in 1921. They have never gone winless in any season.

Handley has a long history of quality football, They have Jefferson(WV) , Loudoun Valley, Sherando , Skyline, Millbrook , and James Wood left on the schedule. I would think Skyline would be the best chance for a W, however Skyline is never a easy W in district play.

page13image63444
page13image66116
page13image68780
page13image71132
page13image73804
page13image76468
page13image78820
page13image81404
page13image84076
page13image86740
page13image89320
page13image91420
page13image93604

Disagree! Sure Handley might have a higher than normal Latino population, but all schools have a certain amount of Latino population. Go to anywhere in the State, and there are all kinds of obstacles to overcome. Even if you take the difference away , that puts them right in line with clarke county school population. And Handley got trounced. Population and diversity of population has less to do with winning football games than coaching and off season programs. IMO . Everything isn't about how many kids are in your school. And Handley has the athletes.

Obviously, you are not informed as you think you are. The WPS basically has no middle class. Either folks are very well to do or they are getting gov't assistance. Their baseball team is horrible and will never, never, never come come back to the competitive nature it once was.

I knew Clarke County would beat the heck out of Handley. Look for Handley to go 1-9 ... maybe 0-10.

Might I add ... up and coming Lacrosse will be successful once it goes full-fledge varsity, another country club sport.

Last edited:
Obviously, you are not informed as you think you are. The WPS basically has no middle class. Either folks are very well to do or they are getting gov't assistance. Their baseball team is horrible and will never, never, never come come back to the competitive nature it once was.

I knew Clarke County would beat the heck out of Handley. Look for Handley to go 1-9 ... maybe 0-10.

Might I add ... up and coming Lacrosse will be a successful once it goes full-fledged varsity, another country club sport.
Wow, this is now an anthropology discussion. But I have to say, I've proposed this theory in different areas before so I can't discount it. Frankly, I do think it's applicable if there are numbers to support it.

The breakdown for Handley HS for 2014-2015 ... the numbers speak for themselves:

http://bi.vita.virginia.gov/doe_bi/...ea6-43be-a81e-896800a224ba/FallMembership.pdf
I'd like to see this but neither of your links works. Like I said, I've proposed this before but it was not based on ethnicity. It was based on affluence. For example, Loudoun County. The fastest growing County in the country. Many of it's residents work in the Dulles Technology corridor and easily earn 6 digit annual income. Briar Woods. John Champe. Tuscarora. Broad Run. Woodgrove. Loudoun County, etc. Just blew up as teams as the County grew. why?

Rediculous, there are schools of all kinds of enrollment white , black, purple. I am out of the conversation. Just a excuse for bad football. Next thing you know schools will,want there enrollment adjusted because of ethnicity. What I saw yesterday on the Handley side of the field was about 32 boys that didn't play hard, didn't play with heart, and didn't know the fundamentals of the sport. Has nothing to with color.

Their affluence and ethnicity didn't magically change over one summer. This is a lot of B.S. If you are going to make racist statements, shouldn't you at least assume that with the high latino population that their soccer programs should take off? I feel this has more to do with the highest privately endowed schools gutting their middle school sports.

Handley school population includes 36% latinos and majority does not play sports. Handley will only do well in country club sports ... Golf and Tennis.

Their baseball team is horrible and will never, never, never come come back to the competitive nature it once was.

As an avid watcher of major league baseball, I can't follow your logic that a heavy-latino school would never be good at baseball.

Can you break that down for me?

Race has nothing to do with it and suggesting it is inappropriate. On the other hand, I do see a correlation between successful programs and socioeconomic class. Football is a physical sport and I think you'll find that kids who grow up in blue collar households are taught the value and virtue of physical labor more than white collar kids. There's a certain toughness that comes from growing up in the 'hood or on the farm that kids in the suburbs don't necessarily get. I don't know what is happening in Winchester specifically, but an increase in the Latino population probably has zero to do with Handley playing poorly.

Race has nothing to do with it and suggesting it is inappropriate. On the other hand, I do see a correlation between successful programs and socioeconomic class. Football is a physical sport and I think you'll find that kids who grow up in blue collar households are taught the value and virtue of physical labor more than white collar kids. There's a certain toughness that comes from growing up in the 'hood or on the farm that kids in the suburbs don't necessarily get. I don't know what is happening in Winchester specifically, but an increase in the Latino population probably has zero to do with Handley playing poorly.

How would you explain the success of the Loudoun County, specifically, the Ashburn, schools? (Stone Bridge, Broad Run, Tuscarora and Briar Woods)

These LCPS's you mention ... otherwise known as CASHburn.

Yes, so how do they fit into the "poor kids and farm kids are good because they play harder" model being proposed.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot of theories being thrown around in this thread but no information backing any of it up.

Theory isn't worth anything unless it can be supported with evidence.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Loudoun County is in the top 3 counties in the country for growth. A ton of folks are moving into LOCO ... so the more oysters a school has, the better the chances of finding those pearls.

Loudoun County is in the top 3 counties in the country for growth. A ton of folks are moving into LOCO ... so the more oysters a school has, the better the chances of finding those pearls.

My point isn't getting through to you, I'll duck out.

Best of luck to Handley in the future.

Just as long as those oysters aren't Latino right VerizonSportsFan? I live in Ashburn and if you don't believe we have a significant Latino population then you have no idea what you are talking about. An example that disproves your "latino" theory are the Osbourne football teams of the late-2000's. The % of Latino's at Osbourne High School was significantly higher back then then the numbers at Handley right now - and they won a state title and were in the hunt for a few more. So how do you explain this?

Whoever you are Verizon Sports Fan - you obviously have an agenda because you are always making excuses for Handley, talking up James Wood, and trying to bring down Sherando. My guess is that your a bitter old man - so instead of coming on here and making outrageous claims with no evidence to back it up - get back on your front porch and wait for some kids to step on your lawn so you can yell at them.

Whoever you are Verizon Sports Fan - you obviously have an agenda because you are always making excuses for Handley, talking up James Wood, and trying to bring down Sherando. My guess is that your a bitter old man - so instead of coming on here and making outrageous claims with no evidence to back it up - get back on your front porch and wait for some kids to step on your lawn so you can yell at them.

OUCH!!!!!

Reactions: hamspear
As an avid watcher of major league baseball, I can't follow your logic that a heavy-latino school would never be good at baseball.

Can you break that down for me?

You mention Major League Baseball and I made comment about high school baseball. Huge difference, IMHO.

"Just saw that they lost to Clarke County 42-7 at the Handley Bowl. This is the same Eagles team that lost to Millbrook a week ago"

Not exactly sure how that was meant but I'm willing to bet when the season is over people will be saying Millbrook is a pretty good football team and Clarke had every opportunity to win it. Clarke was their equal on that day just didn't make the play needed to win--Millbrook did at the end. Millbrook is as athletic as anyone around with their skill kids.
As for Handley losing to Clarke----Clarke is pretty good and Handley is not this year. However--losing to Clarke is never a bad loss considering what they have accomplished for just about a decade.

To slightly change the subject: Clarke County has a significant weight program. That team has totally bought in to the program. Not surprised at all, that while smaller, their lines were better than were Handleys. Now if they could just find some speed.

"Just saw that they lost to Clarke County 42-7 at the Handley Bowl. This is the same Eagles team that lost to Millbrook a week ago"

As for Handley losing to Clarke----Clarke is pretty good and Handley is not this year. However--losing to Clarke is never a bad loss considering what they have accomplished for just about a decade.

Not sure that I would agree that Handley loosing to a 2A school is never a bad loss. Clarke is okay/good for 2A...until they run in to athletic/speedy teams in the playoffs.

Losing to Clarke ----is not your typical 2A school for just about a decade. To say an ok 2A school is one of the craziest things I have seen in quite a while. Especially when a school as your Madison County Mountaineers have skill kids everywhere on a yearly basis. Say what you want about athletes etc. Clarke has football players and have gotten so called "more athletic" over the years---- Bottom line is only 1 team is happy at the end of the year and 15 others in the playoffs aren't.
The weight program at Clarke is stressed at a very high level and has been for a many years. From the coaches and how they lift down to the players. You are 100% correct about the players buying into it. Very apparent.

Not exactly sure how that was meant but I'm willing to bet when the season is over people will be saying Millbrook is a pretty good football team and Clarke had every opportunity to win it. Clarke was their equal on that day just didn't make the play needed to win--Millbrook did at the end. Millbrook is as athletic as anyone around with their skill kids.

All I'm saying is that Millbrook isn't very good. They haven't had an exceptional team since 2007 and that was the year they won their first (and only) playoff game. Since Millbrook opened they've had only three winning seasons and an overall record of 52-73.

Clarke isn't as good this year as they have been in the past, whereas in some years they were dominant. I'd rather like for Millbrook to exceed my expectations, but so far they've not really shown much.

Wow---Millbrooks only loss came to Triple A top 5 in West Virginia in a turnover filled game. Have you seen either Clarke or Millbrook play this year?

Don't see them beating Sherando at all (different animal). Woodgrove is the toss up game in which they have a chance to prove themselves. If they win that 8-2

Apparently 7-3 and 8-2 teams don't qualify as being "good" on these boards anymore, so you're preaching to the choir. You're either a state championship-caliber team, or you're average.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovemesomeweezy
I think Woodgrove is twice as good as Millbrook, and Sherando is better than both right now by considerable margin. Hoos 7-3 and 8-2 is not good if you play a schedule against inferior competition. if Louisa ends up 8-2, there only losses would be against two very good teams. The problem with Handley James wood and Millbrook is they are scheduling the worst of the worst in our area. yes Clarke is a quality 2A team, but Millbrook playing equal and Handley getting beat soundly by clarke doesn't equate to a good team if they are 8-2. How could Millbrook possibly hang with Woodgrove if they barely beat Clarke. Woodgrove and Sherando would beat Clarke by 50 plus.

I don't know if this applies to Millbrook or not, but sometimes you don't have to get much better, if the other teams on your schedule or in your area are moving the opposite direction. There are times as a coach when my team has not improved from the previous year, but most of my opponents take a step back or are rebuilding, and it gives the appearance that my team got better.

Reactions: hamspear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT