Who wins?

• Hanover

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Louisa

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my slap on the wrist like a man. Hanover is 7-3. BleedingNavy said in another thread:
I would say Louisa should be pleased, because Hanover plays smash mouth football. That game is going to be very physical, but not close. Hanover has virtually played a 5A schedule (brutal) and faired very well with their quarterback out a majority of the season. With the exception of JR Tucker and Armstrong every team they beat was equal to or better than Louisa.

Louisa is playing well right now, Cheatham is back and he will be tough to handle. The only edge I give Louisa is their offense. Hanover has not seen the single wing/flexbone whatever they want to call it. If Hanover does not adjust it could be interesting.

I will say this. If Louisa doesn't punt and gives Hanover a short field its going to be ugly. Have to make Hanover earn their points with long drives.

This is funny. The 5A bias is real. Woodgrove was gigantic, very physical, balanced, played good 5A teams, and took it to Salem most of the game. We gave them a great game 21-7 right after losing 58-28 to Monticello, and we're currently a better team by miles than last year's Lions. This season, we started from the bottom, now we're here. Highland Springs is a great team, but I think Louisa would pound most of the other teams on Hanover's schedule today. Louisa is just as big up front on both sides as Hanover, maybe bigger with the made changes, and just as physical. Stone Bridge and Louisa might be the two best 6-4 teams in the state. After what I've seen over the last few weeks, and especially on Friday, I have learned to never question a Mark Fischer team again. He's a football guru and learned from David Bedwell, among others. We'll see.

I would love to hear @one man's thoughts on Louisa, since a couple of days have passed, ha.

Last edited:
Really Hoos? Louisa could "pound" Henrico, Atlee, Lee-Davis, Patrick Henry, Hopewell and Dinwiddie? I already gave you Tucker and Armstrong. You would not admit how you realy feel ("they are a grest team") about Highland Springs??? (That's Hanovers10 games).

Louisa went 5-2 in the JD and now you want us to believe you would finish second in the Capital. Thats insane. Go ahead and say how you really feel. Louisa is going to the State Championship! Have a lovely evening and good luck Friday.

Geez, I said "most". I was talking about everyone except HS, Henrico, and Dinwiddie. And these aren't my words, they're from someone very knowledgeable in the Richmond area who has seen those teams. I honestly think HS is a great team that can give Bird all they want.

Geez, I said "most". I was talking about everyone except HS, Henrico, and Dinwiddie. And these aren't my words, they're from someone very knowledgeable in the Richmond area who has seen those teams. I honestly think HS is a great team that can give Bird all they want.
Well I agree with Highland Springs giving Bird all they want. Look closely at their schedule. It is nasty. With the exception of LT no 4a team could come out of that schedule with fewer than 3 or 4 losses. Yes, you said pound most. To me that means more than half.

To satisfy my curiosity I ran game simulations on two different sites. I gave Louisa home field advantage against Hanovers schedule. Louisa was 3-7. I also simulated Hanover versus Louisa's opponents. Hanover was 8-2(only losses were to Courtland and Sherando by a small percentage/margin). When I ran them head to head it was Hanover 3/4 time. I don't like computer picks, but it was interesting. That's why the games are played on the field. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, we all know you, DP, and Mike would love nothing more than Louisa to lose 42-0.
Actually not. I really want to see how the Generals stack up against other districts. We have to get through Monacan first. Why would we care if Louisa lost by 42-0. Obviously, you think we want Louisa to lose because of you. Don't have ill feelings towards the Louisa program, so your statement is not valid. Just want to see good games all around.

I would love to hear @one man's thoughts on Louisa, since a couple of days have passed, ha.

Physical, physical, physical. Most physical O-Line we played all year. Defensively, probably the 3rd most physical defense we played behind Western and Albemarle. Scheme is as straight forward as it gets. OL blocks down, down, down, Guard pulls and kicks, then you have 1 or 2 lead blockers. The "sniffer" and/or one of the backs are lead blockers behind the puller. The spinning and what not is just to freeze you for a second. Our problem was our front 4 couldn't get off blocks well enough and ILBs struggled to identify the puller quick enough. If your LBs can read the guards and move quick enough to stalemate the lead block, you can stop that offense. Everything happens in a small box for them. Our guys weren't able to execute this enough. Credit to Louisa because they wanted it a bit more than we did. I haven't seen Hanover so I can't say who will win or what I even think. If Hanover is physical in the trenches and have a few LBs that can take on blocks, then they will be able to at very least have an opportunity to win the game in the 4th quarter. Louisa is physical on offense, backs run hard and break tackles. Defensively they've got a few really good players but overall, I wouldn't say their defense is a strength. We only scored twice but we had a pair of turnovers on downs inside their territory and we throw a pair of INTs in the redzone so it's not as if we weren't able to move the ball, just couldn't convert enough when it counted. Of note with Louisa is that they always onside kick. We started every drive between our 35 and the 50 yard line. Good Luck to both teams, I'll of course be rooting for Louisa, in hopes that the Jefferson District can gain some respect if they perform well.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I wonder what D1 schools are looking at Hanover QB Cheatham. He's an awesome player.
Not sure. I think his brother plays at JMU. Will likely play fullback in college just like his friend Sam Rogers a former Hanover qb.

Physical, physical, physical. Most physical O-Line we played all year. Defensively, probably the 3rd most physical defense we played behind Western and Albemarle. Scheme is as straight forward as it gets. OL blocks down, down, down, Guard pulls and kicks, then you have 1 or 2 lead blockers. The "sniffer" and/or one of the backs are lead blockers behind the puller. The spinning and what not is just to freeze you for a second. Our problem was our front 4 couldn't get off blocks well enough and ILBs struggled to identify the puller quick enough. If your LBs can read the guards and move quick enough to stalemate the lead block, you can stop that offense. Everything happens in a small box for them. Our guys weren't able to execute this enough. Credit to Louisa because they wanted it a bit more than we did. I haven't seen Hanover so I can't say who will win or what I even think. If Hanover is physical in the trenches and have a few LBs that can take on blocks, then they will be able to at very least have an opportunity to win the game in the 4th quarter. Louisa is physical on offense, backs run hard and break tackles. Defensively they've got a few really good players but overall, I wouldn't say their defense is a strength. We only scored twice but we had a pair of turnovers on downs inside their territory and we throw a pair of INTs in the redzone so it's not as if we weren't able to move the ball, just couldn't convert enough when it counted. Of note with Louisa is that they always onside kick. We started every drive between our 35 and the 50 yard line. Good Luck to both teams, I'll of course be rooting for Louisa, in hopes that the Jefferson District can gain some respect if they perform well.
That inadvertent whistle hurt you guys too, the refs just didn't know Keemy had the ball. Heck I couldn't tell from the stands until the whistle was blown! He might've scored on that play, as fast as he is.

I'm just glad our defense is much better since Courtland, it was a disaster at first. #72 didn't play that much on defense against C'ville except mainly on 3rd/4th downs, guessing we were saving him for this week. #52 played in his place, I believe his first time on defense this year, looked pretty good.

#79 got hurt at the end of our first drive and didn't return. Still waiting on an update. He was walking the sidelines fine, so I hope it was precautionary and that he can play. Man I hope he can stay healthy. #69 did an admirable job in his place, though.

The kicking game worries me. We can't give Hanover short fields. But hey, if we're kicking off a lot it means we're scoring a lot! Our first good kicker in years was kicked off the team after the Courtland game. We used to pooch a lot, now it's just squibs and onsides. But I wonder what happened to our current kicker between the Orange and Charlottesville games! Against Orange he didn't come close to making any PATs, then on Friday he couldn't miss, kicked them high, and looked like a veteran. I'm confused.

Last edited:
Don't forget Hamspear
326.gif

I wonder what D1 schools are looking at Hanover QB Cheatham. He's an awesome player.

Couldn't agree more with you Hoos. He's got the size, football IQ, grit, and the grades. It's shocking he's not a legitimate top recruited player in the state......

Couldn't agree more with you Hoos. He's got the size, football IQ, grit, and the grades. It's shocking he's not a legitimate top recruited player in the state......
After the season. Probably starting in January. The ankle injury hurt him. Schools are waiting to see him in the playoffs and how he is physically before they pull the trigger.

Louisa will get the Full Monty on Friday and Hanover will score lots of points. The Lions will also score offensively but they won't be able to keep up.

Hanover 35 - Louisa 21

Last edited:
And the speed! He can fly. I'm glad we get to play Hanover at full strength. Welcome to the board, please stick around.

Last edited:
Interesting stat: Louisa's Job Whalen has carried the ball over 220 times this season for nearly 1500 yards, and hasn't fumbled once as a sophomore.

Last edited:
Yeah he had at least 40 carries against both Courtland and KG. He's a workhorse, but we haven't had to rely on him as much the last few games.

That's a lot of carries

There was a kid down 81 from Salem that had 314 carries in 11 games as a junior for his team but only racked up about 1600 yards because he was literally all their team had. Ended up with 2400 yards as a senior and I think a bit better YPC but I can't find his carries for that year. I would bet the kid had every bit of nearly 600 carries in 2 years. Tough kid but that always seemed so dangerous to me.

I have Hanover ranked as having the 2nd hardest schedule in all of 4A (Great Bridge had the toughest). Louisa's schedule was 22nd toughest. The average Hanover opponent is 15 points better than the average Louisa opponent.

That being said, I don't think Hanover is 15 points better than Louisa, and I think Louisa could spring an upset, but I think it won't be easy. Like some have said here, if the Louisa scheme confuses Hanover on defense we could be on our way. I have Hanover winning this one 31-20, but that's not a blowout. That's about a 25% chance Louisa wins this. Same as flipping a coin twice and getting heads both times.

I'll be rooting for the Lions.

I have Hanover ranked as having the 2nd hardest schedule in all of 4A (Great Bridge had the toughest). Louisa's schedule was 22nd toughest. The average Hanover opponent is 15 points better than the average Louisa opponent.

That being said, I don't think Hanover is 15 points better than Louisa, and I think Louisa could spring an upset, but I think it won't be easy. Like some have said here, if the Louisa scheme confuses Hanover on defense we could be on our way. I have Hanover winning this one 31-20, but that's not a blowout. That's about a 25% chance Louisa wins this. Same as flipping a coin twice and getting heads both times.

I'll be rooting for the Lions.
Interesting because Louisa has played some good teams early in the year and we will have to see how much they have improved vs a good team. Last time they played a good team they were blown out. I am not saying that will happen so we will see how much they have improved. Louisa is so one dimensional if the run game is stopped then it could be a long night, however if Louisa is able to run the ball then the game can be won by the lions. This could be the upset game. Lions win this game the can make a legit run. I will pull for the JD schools, hoping they prove me wrong about being behind every one else. Guess we will see.

One thing no one seems to mention is Louisa threw three touchdown passes against Charlottesville, including a 76 yarder. They are starting to open up the offense again for the first time since the King George game with some new things, with more coming. I think that if they have to, they can play balanced enough to keep Hanover on their toes. That's if they have to. Cherry and Bell both have the arm, they have both shown it the last two games. Normally I don't like two-QB systems, but Fischer is running it in a way that is very unpredictable. It's cool to see.

Outside linebacker senior D'Jon Shelton is undersized but very fast and has 53 solo tackles, 10 TFL and five sacks. We'll need him off the edge more than ever tomorrow, and we'll need the other linebackers to be more disciplined than the Western game. It looks as if they've improved since then, but we'll find out for real tomorrow. I haven't seen enough of Highland Springs, but I think Quinton Ragland, Malik Johnson, and Jay'von Jackson might be the best defensive linemen group Hanover has played against this year. Hopefully they'll continue to bring lots of pressure, play disciplined, and finish tackles.

Last edited:
Scrimmage play has lions by one. Have they even seen the hawks to project a score? Looking like many are picking the lions..upset is brewing online.

Scrimmage Play just might be on to something....
With the size of the Lion's OLine and the way the pulling guard and lead blocker plow the road, it is very difficult to stop Job Whalen from gaining 4 - 5 yards at a pop. Miss a tackle and it goes for far more. Being successful in this part of the game certainly helps if the Lions choose to pass at the right time. For these reasons, this is the game I think has the best upset chance.

But I believe Hanover will pack the box to stop the run and dare Louisa to beat them through the air. I also believe this strategy will be enough to allow Cheatham and Hanover to out score Louisa. It should be a very good game. I've got Hanover 35 - 21 but pretty much dead even at the half. Perhaps even a Lion lead. My advice in this circumstance is that Hoos carry a fresh change of clothes as the excitement and possibilities may have him wet with excitement.

GL to both teams tonight.

I will start the game in three layers of clothes tonight. If the Lions win in dominating fashion, I might end up in zero. Ain't no tellin' what happens if we go on a run!

Teams have loaded the box all year. I hope Hanover does it too, they'd be smart to.

Last edited:
Louisa maybe in trouble even though they scored they really struggled running the ball. 7-6 Hanover after 1

Last edited:
Can cheetam be stopped by the lions? Lions are able to pass but run is being taken away. 19-14 hawks

Lions can't run and can't stop the run 26-14. That was fast. Watch a game and understand Hanover is way too physical the entire first half lions defense was going backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT