ADVERTISEMENT

Harris resigns as Millbrook boys' basketball coach

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Harris resigns as Millbrook boys' basketball coach

After an impressive 38 wins in two years, Rob Harris has decided to step down as the boys' basketball head coach at Millbrook because he feels it will be the best thing for him and his family in the future.

In a phone interview on Monday, Harris declined to provide specifics about his family situation or what the next step will be for his career after leading the Pioneers to a 38-11 record overall and a 19-5 record in the Class 4 Northwestern District in his two seasons at the helm.

"It's a family decision," Harris said after letting Millbrook know earlier in the day that he was resigning. "I've decided to put more emphasis on family and to make sure that I'm there for them, and my time is spent well with them."

Harris had not coached a basketball team since 2011 before taking the job at Millbrook in 2017. (Harris coached AAU ball that summer after previously coaching at Shenandoah University for 19 years, including 2001-11 as head coach.) Harris said he definitely enjoyed being part of the local high school scene.

"It's been a joy to be part of the great rivalries in the community," Harris said. "The Millbrook staff and the kids really gave me a different inspiration. It was a joy to be able to coach at that level and teach the fundamentals. To watch everything come about in such a manner meant a lot, and we were able to have great success. We played against great competition night in and night out, and I'm really happy with my stint at Millbrook. And I'm even more happy that I was able to coach some great young men and to serve underneath a great administration."

Millbrook's next boys' basketball head coach will be its fifth in school history, and fourth in the seven years. Current coordinator of student activities Scott Mankins served as boys' head coach for the first 10 years. Since then then Pioneers have been led by Derek Butler (three years), Ben Bates (one) and Harris.

Millbrook went 20-6 with a 10-2 record in the district in 2017-18, advancing to the Region 4C semifinals. The Pioneers again finished second in the district this past season, posting an 18-5 record overall and 9-3 in the district. Five of the Pioneers' 11 losses over the past two years were to Handley, a Class 4 state finalist in 2018 and a Region 4C semifinalist that defended its district championship with a perfect district record in 2018-19.

Harris' Millbrook teams only lost to one school with a losing record in his two years, but that one won't be forgotten any time soon. Previously winless James Wood (0-21) dealt the Pioneers a shocking 52-42 loss in the Class 4 Northwestern District first round on Feb. 13, outscoring the Pioneers 10-0 in overtime to end their season.

"The game of basketball is such a great game," Harris said. "You try to prepare your young men to best of your abilities. But we didn't shoot the ball well, and I thought James Wood played great. It was just kind of a situation where we didn't click on all cylinders.

"[The fact that anything can happen] is why you play the game. That's why Villanova beat Georgetown [in the 1985 NCAA championship game]. That's why Duke comes out and beats a UNLV when they're undefeated [in the 1991 national semifinals]. Things in basketball can happen with the right system in place. Kids step up, and James Wood's kids stepped up. They did a great job. But [that loss] doesn't diminish what we able to do at Millbrook the last two years."

In a press release, Millbrook coordinator of student activities Scott Mankins said he appreciated the job Harris did over the past two seasons.

"I'd like to thank Rob for the time, effort and leadership he's put into the past two seasons with the Pioneers basketball team," Mankins said. "He is a coach of strong character and was a positive role model for our student-athletes. We wish him well and will begin the search for Millbrook’s next boys’ basketball coach immediately."

"...
"It's a family decision," Harris said after letting Millbrook know earlier in the day that he was resigning. "I've decided to put more emphasis on family and to make sure that I'm there for them, and my time is spent well with them."
..."

Hmmmo_O

Good for Coach Harris. Coaching can be a grind and I'm sure he will enjoy some more time with his family.

Now, from a basketball standpoint, can Millbrook please get someone in there who will let those kids run. I've seen enough clock burning-sets and robotic offense with these kids. Same for Handley...

There's a lot of people that would love to be 38-11 the last two years...so those robots must be doing something right at Millbrook. Same for Handley.

There's a lot of people that would love to be 38-11 the last two years...so those robots must be doing something right at Millbrook. Same for Handley.

If you stick to 'your system' instead of adapting to 'your players' then you will end up getting bounced. Losing to an 0-21 James Wood team was system-based not talent based. Same for Handley (Riverside).

If you stick to 'your system' instead of adapting to 'your players' then you will end up getting bounced. Losing to an 0-21 James Wood team was system-based not talent based. Same for Handley (Riverside).
I guess coaches need to apologize for their system to allow them to win 18-20 games. My bad VAHoops1.

I certainly wouldn't ask Dawson from Valley to apologize.

Coach Dawson one of the best coaches in the state! Should of gotten the Handley job but someone allowed politics to get involved and someone did not honor their word to Coach Dawson.

Reactions: VAHoops1
Heard from reliable source that there was issues going on with the program.

Wonder if parents got involved after the coach that resigned sat his starters in their practice(s) before the JW game? They sat in the bleachers and watched the others practice because coach wanted to save their legs as they were looking at playing 3 games for the week.

Again, I go back to the coach's quote in the paper..."I've decided to put more emphasis on family and to make sure that I'm there for them, and my time is spent well with them."
That leaves me scratching my head. I know his son plays for Handley, so if it was not wanting to coach against his son, then that's a perfectly legitimate reason, and very easy to say. But why say what he said? Again, the skeptic in me ain't buying that load.

Reactions: Smallfry2015
Again, I go back to the coach's quote in the paper..."I've decided to put more emphasis on family and to make sure that I'm there for them, and my time is spent well with them."
That leaves me scratching my head. I know his son plays for Handley, so if it was not wanting to coach against his son, then that's a perfectly legitimate reason, and very easy to say. But why say what he said? Again, the skeptic in me ain't buying that load.

I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT