ADVERTISEMENT

Has Salem improved enough?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Has Salem improved enough to give Blacksburg a game? Remember last time it was 49-12. The game was over when Blacksburg scored on two plays right before half. The Spartans never recovered. Salem has improved, but Blacksburg is still very good on the offensive and defensive lines. I believe that's where the game will be won. Both teams have their game breakers, so the outcome will be determined in the trenches. Both teams have excellent kickers. Salem will make some adjustments, but Salem will do what they always do run and use play action passes. I expect this game to be close, probably decided by turnovers and penalties. It will be important that Salem play well early to send a message that this will be a different game and create some doubt on the Blacksburg side. Both teams good enough to win state title.

Has Salem improved enough to give Blacksburg a game? Remember last time it was 49-12. The game was over when Blacksburg scored on two plays right before half. The Spartans never recovered. Salem has improved, but Blacksburg is still very good on the offensive and defensive lines. I believe that's where the game will be won. Both teams have their game breakers, so the outcome will be determined in the trenches. Both teams have excellent kickers. Salem will make some adjustments, but Salem will do what they always do run and use play action passes. I expect this game to be close, probably decided by turnovers and penalties. It will be important that Salem play well early to send a message that this will be a different game and create some doubt on the Blacksburg side. Both teams good enough to win state title.
Good question and a great matchup between two defending state champs. You don't see that often in the playoffs. Salem is definitely peaking at the right time but I think Blacksburg wins a much closer contest than the earlier meeting.

Everyone in Bburg knows the score of the first game means nothing . Football is a game of momentum and Bburg was lucky enough to have it the first time. Should be a very close and competitive game. I'm sure we will see a few new wrinkles from both teams .This one is a coin toss between who can stop Ramsey or Beck . I wished it had been moved to Saturday , could of been a huge crowd.

Blacksburg looked banged up as the Glass game went on..there were no major injuries but multiple guys were limping around. The first matchup was full of Bburg big plays. Glass athletes were able to limit the big plays. It will be key for Salem to do the same

To answer your question HELL YES they have improved enough and it is going to be a whale of a game. I am leaning towards Salem... as long as you don't fall behind early by multiple scores I think you will be ok. If it is a close game I will go with Salem to get the victory. As crazy as it sounds... Salem should be the one with the Chip on their shoulder. How perfect of a scenario is that for a back to back state champion to feel like they have something to prove!

Both teams will have a chip on their shoulder. Salem to avenge the earlier loss and Bburg to prove it wasn’t a fluke. Going to be a long week for all and Friday will be a crazy day. Good luck to both teams and here’s to an injury free game.

Seeing both teams, I think Blacksburg is a 5-6 pt fave. Both teams know the other very well. Big plays not going to be the norm in this game but certainly a steady dose of Ramsey mixed with play action. Blacksburg will look to get numbers on the Salem D to have Cole 1 v 1 on the second level defense. Weather is going to affect both teams the same. Will perimeter players shine better or has Blacksburg D been worn down by now? Whatever happens, it will be must see! Praying for great execution and players decide the game not a controversial call or a gray area decision.

Even though Glass didn't have more points at the end of the game, anyone that saw the game would probably agree that Glass controlled nearly every aspect of the game. The one phase that Blacksburg did win was the OL-DL phase. Unfortunately for Glass that was the most important aspect. Like Glass, the Blacksburg OL is their weak link and Glass exposed that. They sacked the Blacksburg QB several times and held Beck to 85 yards rushing on 25 carries (21 of those yards come on their last drive of the game). Glass also held Terry to 0 receptions for 0 yards. Literally the only time that Terry was able to touch the ball was when they lined him up in the Wildcat and he took a direct snap.

I say all this to say that, Blacksburg is a very good team but if they aren't able to control the trenches then, Salem will win. I don't see Salem making the same mental mistakes on Offense that Glass did.

Glass controlled the game? What game did you watch? They literally couldn’t move the ball at all with the exception of the one play almost taken to the house. The Glass O failed to score, and failed to reach 200 yards for the game. Bburg had almost a 200 yard edge in total O. Not bashing Glass they have a hell of a team, but they certainly didn’t control the game. The better team won period!!!

Glass controlled the game? What game did you watch? They literally couldn’t move the ball at all with the exception of the one play almost taken to the house. The Glass O failed to score, and failed to reach 200 yards for the game. Bburg had almost a 200 yard edge in total O. Not bashing Glass they have a hell of a team, but they certainly didn’t control the game. The better team won period!!!
That's exactly why I said Blacksburg won the OL-DL battle, which was the most important aspect of the game. I never said Glass dominated the game. Sure Glass gave up yards but, defensively, they did what needed to be done in order to win, the offense just didn't do their part. As far as the better team winning, well "better" is a relative term. I will say this, it was clear that Blacksburg played as if they wanted it more. But I work at Glass and I believe you have a relative that plays for Blacksburg (judging by your username) so, of course our opinions are biased. LOL

It’s all good. I have much respect for Glass, they were by far the best defensive team we played this year. Besides the stub lb, I was also very much impressed with your QB.

Reactions: VolNation85
It’s all good. I have much respect for Glass, they were by far the best defensive team we played this year. Besides the stub lb, I was also very much impressed with your QB.
I say the same about you guys' defense. Coming into the game I thought y'alls defense was better than the offense (not that the offense isn't good) but after the game it was clear that the defense is the strength of the team. Prior to that game the Glass QB had been sacked only once all year, you guys sacked him 3-4 times. You guys definitely have the best defense that we faced all year too.

On another note, how many starters do you guys have coming back next year?

Reactions: JOrndorff
Good question. I’m not exactly sure, but we are losing a bunch of impact players. The starting seniors are Beck, Driscoll, Orndorff, VanGilder, Roberson, Elliott, Ramsey, and Wise. The big void will be in the trenches, where we will lose 4 starters.

Reactions: VolNation85
I'm sure Salem is betternjow than before but 37 points is a lot to make up in improvement. I remember hearing that Blacksburg was down a starting WR the first time they played Salem.. is he back?

If Salem wants to win the improvement needs to be in the secondary. All of what I watched of that game showed the Blacksburg was winning the front 7 matchup decisively and that was leaving the secondary to make tackles which they rarely did. I felt bad for Salem's #5, Cole Beck was a bully to him that game.

Yes, Thomas Coffey #88 is back. He and Tucker for Salem matched up regularly in 7v7 so should be fun to watch.

Yes, Thomas Coffey #88 is back. He and Tucker for Salem matched up regularly in 7v7 so should be fun to watch.
I was impressed with the Blacksburg receivers overall in the Glass game. The all ran great routes and were more athletic and faster in person then they looked on film.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT