ADVERTISEMENT

Help me please, understand something.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
What is the "radar defense" the gentleman from North Carolina is asking about?

It's what's sometimes called the Psycho Defense in pro football today. Guys don't line up normally. They move and mill around until the ball is snapped then get where they're supposed to be.

Radar defense is primarily when there are no down linemen on the defensive front , players across the defensive front will even stand up and moving in not usual Gaps not allowing the Offensive linemen ( usually bigger) not to adjust blocking schemes before the play is snapped. works well with smaller Athletic defenses , hard to block guys when you don't know which way they are going to go. Been around a while even some NFL teams mess with it, I have seen a few teams in the East play around with this a few times in virginia.

What is the "radar defense" the gentleman from North Carolina is asking about?
Google it. Lot easier. Basically, no down linemen. It's like everyone on the defensive front is a linebacker. From what I read, it was first conceived and used by a HS Coach. Apparently, there are a few places that run it with tremendous success. The Oregon Ducks have their own variation.

Ok, looked it up. Now I remember what it is. I don't know if was here on this forum, or elsewhere, but I remember reading about the use of this against much superior opponents. Seems that I remember that if you catch an opponent with it by suprise, you can have a bit of a chance at stealing a victory. But if your opponent is expecting to face this defense, any good coach can put in schemes that take advantage of the weak points.

As I recall, what I read was comments exclusive to HS football.

don't know enough about it to make any knowledgable opinion on how successful it is or can be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT